Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BLS-Accounting or BABA-Management if my ultimate goal is an MBA?
I was wondering if should go for an "easier' bachelor's degree such as the BLS- Accounting instead of the BABA Management if my ultimate goal is an MBA? Does anyone know if the BLS Accounting degree will reflect accounting on the diploma since it's just a minor?  I have noticed future positions I am interested in requiring a business or related degree. and sometimes even a BS or BA specifically, but not all.

I only have 2 accounting classes left if I go for the BLS, but I don't know if that could hurt my business career in the future. I do have many years of business experience already. I have no plans to ever go for a CPA license.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks so much!
Do you know where you want to get that MBA from? A short list? Many MBAs dont' require a business degree to get in, many others often have requirement courses, and just as many don't have any (but prefer a solid work resume for 'older' aka 30 years+ adult students).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(05-01-2023, 08:39 PM)allvia Wrote: Do you know where you want to get that MBA from? A short list? Many MBAs dont' require a business degree to get in, many others often have requirement courses, and just as many don't have any (but prefer a solid work resume for 'older' aka 30 years+ adult students).

Most likely a competency based like WGU. I'm an older student and do have a good amount of experience in A/P, accounting management, property management, and as a CFO in the real estate industry (medium sized business not corporate). I'm still interested in somewhat similiar positions when I return to work after finishing school. This is second choice for me as I really want to go to law school, however, at this point in my life there's no way for me to do so. Even the hybrid programs are 2 hours away and there are no fully online law programs (that I know of).

Thank you for your reply!
(05-01-2023, 08:55 PM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:
(05-01-2023, 08:39 PM)allvia Wrote: Do you know where you want to get that MBA from? A short list? Many MBAs dont' require a business degree to get in, many others often have requirement courses, and just as many don't have any (but prefer a solid work resume for 'older' aka 30 years+ adult students).

Most likely a competency based like WGU. I'm an older student and do have a good amount of experience in A/P, accounting management, property management, and as a CFO in the real estate industry (medium sized business not corporate). I'm still interested in somewhat similiar positions when I return to work after finishing school. This is second choice for me as I really want to go to law school, however, at this point in my life there's no way for me to do so. Even the hybrid programs are 2 hours away and there are no fully online law programs (that I know of).

In this case the BLS- Accounting, actually any BLS, would be fine for you. Get it done ('check that box') and move on to the WGU MBA without delay.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Infinite-Telephone52
If want to go for speed, the accounting courses take longer than the management courses.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, Infinite-Telephone52, origamishuttle
(05-02-2023, 08:13 AM)allvia Wrote:

In this case the BLS- Accounting, actually any BLS, would be fine for you. Get it done ('check that box') and move on to the WGU MBA without delay.

Thank you very much!

(05-02-2023, 08:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If want to go for speed, the accounting courses take longer than the management courses.

Yes, and I actually hate accounting. That is what my AAS is in, and I would only need Int. Acct II and Taxation II but I dread them both!  It's useful in business but not fun for me at all. I'm going to check which other programs they offer for BLS. Thanks!!
(05-02-2023, 09:04 AM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote: Yes, and I actually hate accounting. That is what my AAS is in, and I would only need Int. Acct II and Taxation II but I dread them both!  It's useful in business but not fun for me at all. I'm going to check which other programs they offer for BLS. Thanks!!

If you hate accounting, please do yourself a favor and don't get a bachelor's degree in it. Just because accounting is useful in business doesn't mean you have to keep studying it. The Management & Leadership Minor is the fastest and easiest to complete. Project Management Minor isn't bad either. 

I feel for you. When I completed my AAS 100 years ago, I focused on accounting. Graduated and got an accounting job that I hated every day for years. I still hate accounting! I will do anything to avoid being stuck working in it. Once someone hears I have a degree and experience in it, they ALWAYS want to stick me in some accounting role. I HATE it! Now I never mention my AAS since I have a bachelor's degree with no accounting in sight. No one is sticking me on those dreadful budget teams anymore. I feel like when I go to a new company, the accounting questions will end since no one there will know about my experience or degree since it's no longer on my resume. Now it's all about projects. HA
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, Infinite-Telephone52, origamishuttle
That's right, if accounting is something you dread, I don't think it'll work out for you in the end. Take something you're more interested in, there are other minors for the BLS, such as Management, MIS, Project Management. In fact, you will need more courses than what one of the minors can provide you, you can get two minors instead as there are overlapping courses with these three...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-02-2023, 03:08 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's right, if accounting is something you dread, I don't think it'll work out for you in the end.  Take something you're more interested in, there are other minors for the BLS, such as Management, MIS, Project Management.  In fact, you will need more courses than what one of the minors can provide you, you can get two minors instead as there are overlapping courses with these three...

Interesting courses are much easier and far faster to complete. Classes I dreaded took fooooooooooooooooreeeeeeevvvver. I'm still amazed I finished a few of those marketing courses. They were painful.
[attachment=4453 Wrote:Infinite-Telephone52 pid='391556' dateline='1683036256']

Thank you very much!

(05-02-2023, 08:24 AM)ss20ts Wrote: If want to go for speed, the accounting courses take longer than the management courses.

Yes, and I actually hate accounting. That is what my AAS is in, and I would only need Int. Acct II and Taxation II but I dread them both!  It's useful in business but not fun for me at all. I'm going to check which other programs they offer for BLS. Thanks!!

(05-02-2023, 10:14 PM)dsec2013 Wrote:
(05-02-2023, 09:04 AM)Infinite-Telephone52 Wrote:

Thank you very much!

I completed the BLS Accounting and I didn't do Taxation I or II. I took both Business Law courses because those, along with Auditing and another course were options for the Accounting minor. Int Acct II is compulsory so I took that at study.com. While you're at it, just get the Management minor too. Put the Management as your main minor and the accounting as the additional so that its 4 UL courses will count in the UL electives for the BLS (The 4 is assuming you don't use Bus Law I for the Mgmt minor - Change Mgmt will work there to then make BUS 350 a UL elective too).

Here's what I did.

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot 2023-05-02 221133.jpg (Size: 58.02 KB / Downloads: 34)
.jpg   Conferral.jpg (Size: 12.67 KB / Downloads: 23)
[-] The following 1 user Likes dsec2013's post:
  • Infinite-Telephone52

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Decision time: BABA/Leadership vs BLS/Management Kjnova 88 5,812 09-08-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Kjnova
  BLS Minor in Management Plan mohelena02 5 378 08-25-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI YourPace BABA UnderGrad sunjaroa 1 366 08-21-2024, 09:22 AM
  Project Management - STD credits or Google Certifications DavidGood 6 1,088 07-23-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: tdat314
  UMPI BABA Marketing Mrbarbz 11 854 07-14-2024, 10:38 PM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Job seeking with bls with management and project management minor bvndz 11 1,812 07-09-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  321 human resource management HappyPeanut 8 599 07-08-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Does Sophia's Project Management still come to UMPI as BUS 141? berlinerd 7 790 07-05-2024, 08:40 AM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  BABA class for last 2 weeks rrrr 6 1,055 07-04-2024, 03:26 PM
  Accounting classes at umpi, most did these at sdc Sarajane 7 596 06-24-2024, 07:49 PM
Last Post: CharisandJon