Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any suggestions for math equation editor?
I'm having a heck of a time trying to get my pre-calc paper homework transcribed into MS Word. TESC has link to Mathtype 6 but I'm still finding it difficult to use. Not sure if it is me or software!

Any suggestions appreciated.
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
BSAST Health Services Technology 2012
AA General Ed 2012
AAS Medical Laboratory Technician HCC 1994

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
You just need to get accustomed to the software. I used mathtype and didn't have a problem. Are you using it as a source for symbols? That's really all it is. Once you download, it creates a symbol add-in button in Word that allows you to enter special math symbols into your document.

I used the table format and would type each problem into a box. Once complete I would remove the borders so it would appear as a neat, clean word document.

I've also heard there were a few mentors that have allowed students who had issues to handwrite and scan into a pdf file (although not a common occurrence).

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Yes, using it as source. The problem below took me 15 minutes to transcribe.
Ok - lost some formatting! I think it is the whole "show your work" as that takes even more time after I have figured it out on paper!

f(x)=3x
g(x)=(□(1/4))x
= 1/(1/64)= 64
Next Goal - MS in Pharmacy, Major Pharmaceutical Sciences, concentration Forensic Science via University of Florida
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
Earned 127, currently enrolled at TESC working on last 6 credits in order to graduate by 6/2012!!
wow that took you 15mins? something is wrong. let me give an example, this could have been typed in word. Only special symbols should be entered using mathway.

I can't give an example because I'm not using it anymore, but I would use it for things like problems that had characters such as radicals, matrices, fractions, logs, super/subscripts. Stuff like that. I would use word for most and when I needed a special symbol I would enter it with mathtype.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I think it will take more practice. I was having trouble with a fraction that had exponential. I figured I had to put exponential symbol first, then make one of those the fraction. Even more complicated is the fraction with an exponential fraction... I have shortcuts now in tool bar which is helping. Still think pen and paper is easier! Thanks for the feedback!
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting
hkhart Wrote:I think it will take more practice. I was having trouble with a fraction that had exponential. I figured I had to put exponential symbol first, then make one of those the fraction. Even more complicated is the fraction with an exponential fraction... I have shortcuts now in tool bar which is helping. Still think pen and paper is easier! Thanks for the feedback!

You should be able to write out most of your symbolic working using a keyboard but getting around the format is the tricky bit.

You have the usual symbols +, -, /, *
Exponential ^
Subscript _
You can make judicious use of bracketing (), [], {}

If you provide a rough key, you have quite a bit of freedom if it's a person marking the paper, for example:

(3x^2)[xy+z^(1/2)]=0
1/[sin^2(cos(2xpi/9)]=e^x
abs(x>4)=3
16mod3

Completely agree that pencil and paper is way better! Apologies if any of this is gobbledygook but hope it helps.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Yes thank you! I'm kind of a stickler for perfection... so making it look good and not being a gigantic font sitting in the middle of the paper (like what was happening!) made the work more tedious. I'm sure by the end of class, I'll be clicking and ticking away at the editor like no one else!

irnbru Wrote:You should be able to write out most of your symbolic working using a keyboard but getting around the format is the tricky bit.

You have the usual symbols +, -, /, *
Exponential ^
Subscript _
You can make judicious use of bracketing (), [], {}

If you provide a rough key, you have quite a bit of freedom if it's a person marking the paper, for example:

(3x^2)[xy+z^(1/2)]=0
1/[sin^2(cos(2xpi/9)]=e^x
abs(x>4)=3
16mod3

Completely agree that pencil and paper is way better! Apologies if any of this is gobbledygook but hope it helps.
AA General Ed 2012

Straighterline Courses
English Comp I
A&P II
Medical Terminology
Intro to Biology
Statistics
Managerial Accounting

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,500 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 550 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 620 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 3,081 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,382 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,595 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,588 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 1,259 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,600 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,945 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow