Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Public University?
(10-11-2023, 11:56 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If you're looking for their BS Math, and you were previous looking at the BS Comp Sci, why not get the double major at TESU?  One degree, two majors, one cost of a flat rate term, you can get the two majors for around $6K for courses that are offered (4 classes plus capstone), you just need to transfer in the courses not offered at TESU to fulfill the major requirements.

I want to get a degree from strictly online university that doesn't offer any in-person classes.
Common problem with an online degree from a regional university is that people may ask you 'did you live in New jersey?' or 'are you from New Jersey?'
That's the thing with many online universities, people have a stigma that it's an 'easier' diploma vs a traditional institution as the content is all online or through MOOC... I would rather go to a public/state based institution that has online degrees, you're just also explaining to them these are offered online and not the butt-in-seat options. I usually actually recommend public/state based institutions first and exclusively online institutions next for that very reason, to remove a partial obstacle (if any)... Further to that, public/state universities are recognized as higher learning institutions that provide a better education overall vs exclusively online institutions as most of them like APU to Walden are all for profit entities... It really depends on the student, I would again, go for public/state first, private non-profit second, exclusively online third...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-11-2023, 04:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's the thing with many online universities, people have a stigma that it's an 'easier' diploma vs a traditional institution as the content is all online or through MOOC... I would rather go to a public/state based institution that has online degrees, you're just also explaining to them these are offered online and not the butt-in-seat options.  I usually actually recommend public/state based institutions first and exclusively online institutions next for that very reason, to remove a partial obstacle (if any)... Further to that, public/state universities are recognized as higher learning institutions that provide a better education overall vs exclusively online institutions as most of them like APU to Walden are all for profit entities... It really depends on the student, I would again, go for public/state first, private non-profit second, exclusively online third...

You get a penalty for being an 'online' student at a traditional university.
Your employer may contact you thinking that you're from that traditional university but later find that you're an online student & never attended the university in person.
Then he starts to think that you're a liar.

I want to get rid of that confusion and make sure that I get a degree from 100% online institution that doesn't offer any in-person class.

An online degree should come from an entirely online institution to be valid.
Interesting point of view.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pats20's post:
  • ss20ts
(10-11-2023, 05:11 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(10-11-2023, 04:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: That's the thing with many online universities, people have a stigma that it's an 'easier' diploma vs a traditional institution as the content is all online or through MOOC... I would rather go to a public/state based institution that has online degrees, you're just also explaining to them these are offered online and not the butt-in-seat options.  I usually actually recommend public/state based institutions first and exclusively online institutions next for that very reason, to remove a partial obstacle (if any)... Further to that, public/state universities are recognized as higher learning institutions that provide a better education overall vs exclusively online institutions as most of them like APU to Walden are all for profit entities... It really depends on the student, I would again, go for public/state first, private non-profit second, exclusively online third...

You get a penalty for being an 'online' student at a traditional university.
Your employer may contact you thinking that you're from that traditional university but later find that you're an online student & never attended the university in person.
Then he starts to think that you're a liar.

I want to get rid of that confusion and make sure that I get a degree from 100% online institution that doesn't offer any in-person class.

An online degree should come from an entirely online institution to be valid.

I don't think is a prevalent or common view at all.  At least not in recent years. Being from a BM program makes the degree much more credible.

Now if you attended schools like Harvard Extension or UA Global and tried to pass them off as degrees from the actual BM programs, then I get how that could be an issue.
[-] The following 2 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
If you want to communicate to a potential employer that your degree was earned online, you could always add one or two words, like "online" or "earned online," to your résumé, cover letter, or web page.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jonathan Whatley's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
In big corporate world, lots of senior managers pursue masters without leaving the workplace and country (like living in Canada, studying in the US, or living west coast studying east coast) and everybody knows it's online and it's good because otherwise you will not be able to attend school.

Plus, we are talking about tech education. In the world of hybrid or remote-first tech companies with people in timezones all over the globe - who even cares? If somebody actually discriminates because of online education in BM school - that's not the good place to work, can guarantee. Good places value "get done" and "self starter" which are qualities of a successful online learner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes berlinerd's post:
  • rachel83az
(10-12-2023, 11:31 AM)berlinerd Wrote: In big corporate world, lots of senior managers pursue masters without leaving the workplace and country (like living in Canada, studying in the US, or living west coast studying east coast) and everybody knows it's online and it's good because otherwise you will not be able to attend school.

Plus, we are talking about tech education. In the world of hybrid or remote-first tech companies with people in timezones all over the globe - who even cares? If somebody actually discriminates because of online education in BM school - that's not the good place to work, can guarantee. Good places value "get done" and "self starter" which is are qualities of a successful online learner.
That’s right. I’d say less and less recruiters are looking down on online and if one every now and then does. Big deal , move on. There’s like 6 million different companies in the USA.
[-] The following 3 users Like Pats20's post:
  • berlinerd, Kab, rachel83az
@nomaduser, you're putting too many self-thought-obstacles in the way... You really don't have to bring up the point that one in a few thousand chance someone would ask if you're from NJ. Most people don't really ask these questions, they'll know pretty much you've completed these classes online if you're not in the same state. Companies hiring won't ask you about how you did your proctoring for your classes either, or how many of the classes are really from the institution, they won't know and care for asking about the alternative credits that were transferred in either... All questions they ask, it's just to know you better and to start a conversation, they'll judge you by what you've done in your prior positions and so on. Don't overthink too much, be honest, personable, upfront, and tell it as it is...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • berlinerd, rachel83az
Pretty sure it's more common for online-only schools to be thought of as "not real" than it is for anyone to get penalized for attending an online program from a B&M school. But even that stigma is disappearing, especially since 2020.

The 'correct' answer to "Are you from New Jersey?"/"Did you live in New Jersey?" would be something like:
No, I simply took a look at all options available to me and I decided that TESU was the school best suited to helping me meet my goals. I chose them for X, Y, and Z reasons after discussing it over with graduates of TESU.

Or change it to New York/Excelsior, etc., depending on where the degree is from.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • berlinerd, Charles Fout, davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 61 12,203 Yesterday, 08:26 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  Perdoceo to acquire University of St. Augustine... bjcheung77 1 229 09-17-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,895 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  University of The Cumberlands Mrsmiracle90 3 406 09-12-2024, 08:47 PM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,722 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  University of Lynchburg Transformation Charles Fout 8 803 08-01-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 457 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
  UNED Spanish online university Avidreader 5 785 07-03-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: inor
  Talk to me about California Coast University Vle045 16 9,524 06-25-2024, 08:19 PM
  How to pay for University of Helsinki course Avidreader 2 477 05-28-2024, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Avidreader