Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice appreciated
Background -- I'm 51 and have a couple chronic pain/fatigue conditions where brain fog is so bad at times I forget what shoelaces are and call them those things you tie your shoes with. Right now I'm determined to slough through classes to get to some sort of purpose. I'm also highly introverted and a little ADD.

Currently -- I'm enrolled in Pierpont for a credit dump to get that BOG AAS. I don't need help there.
I'm also enrolled in a well respected college here locally (albeit I'm doing virtual because - yanno- introverted) for their Mediation training that will get me registered with the state as a mediator.

I'd like to get a bachelors and perhaps a masters, but one step at a time. I'm looking at UMPI because I like that I could potentially fast track the classes needed and get it done quick and cheap. 
My priorities are:
Valid, respected degree
Cheap
Fast

I'm really interested in things that tie in well with mediation and conflict management.

I'm open to any and all advice. I'd love something where the Pierpont AAS could be a stepping stone and knock out a lot of credits toward that Bachelor. I'd love something where I could transfer in a lot of ACE credit and the 24 RA credits I have. I'm open to thoughts.

I can list the RA courses in about an hour when I'm back home and have the list. You can see my ACE credits so far in the signature but I'm diligently working to knock out more of them before the month is out.

Thank you for reading, this forum and the members have brought me so much closer to knocking off a major regret and a bucket list item.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - June 2025

Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

If you want a UMPI degree, basically take anything at Sophia that doesn't overlap with the RA courses you've got and you're golden. Exceptions are English Composition I and II. That'll arguably be the fastest and cheapest way to get your degree. Definitely valid. And it's at least as respected as any other RA degree offering.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
My RA Courses:

University of Indiana @ Bloomington: 1 credit hour in Self Instruction in Art EDUCM135

Berry College:
SPA102 - Intro Spanish 2
SOC200 - Intro Sociology
POL211 - Am. Govt
PSY251 - General Psychology
BIO111 - Principles of Biology 1 (this doesn't list a lab but I believe it had one)
ENG101 Eng Comp 1
ENG102 - Eng Comp 2
SOC310 Complex Organizations
BCC099 - Library Skills
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025

Up Next 

By the way, since you mentioned you have ADD, you might be interested in Speechify: https://speechify.com/ It's an app and a browser plugin that will read webpages or PDFs aloud to you. I've used it to listen to PDFs for one of the ASU classes I was taking and I sometimes use it to read things for other classes, too. It's great if you have trouble focusing on lengthy expanses of text. It's not completely free, at $140/year for the full version, but it's well worth the money, IMO.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • TINASAM
Pretty sure you and I have discussed UMPI and I sent you a list of what courses to take on Sophia.
(03-12-2021, 12:14 PM)rachel83az Wrote: By the way, since you mentioned you have ADD, you might be interested in Speechify: https://speechify.com/ It's an app and a browser plugin that will read webpages or PDFs aloud to you. I've used it to listen to PDFs for one of the ASU classes I was taking and I sometimes use it to read things for other classes, too. It's great if you have trouble focusing on lengthy expanses of text.  It's not completely free, at $140/year for the full version, but it's well worth the money, IMO.

That would be wonderful! I also have some vision loss and I've profound hearing loss but I can turn the volume up on earphones and it would help tremendously on retaining the information because I have to reread a sentence a few times to "get" it.
Thank you so much for this!
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025

Up Next 

I think that a competency-based degree is not a great option for someone with medical issues. If you hit a bad spot medically, and you're out of commission for a while, I'd think you'd want to be able to take time off without it impacting school. A degree at COSC would allow that, and for not a ton of money (I think if you could do it for around $3000).

Since you already have more than 24cr of RA, you could use non-duplicative Sophia courses to meet your remaining GE requirements, and get as many cheap credits as possible. Then use Study.com to get your remaining courses, especially the UL's (it looks like you already have 1).

Choose 2 concentrations (Business & Psych are the easiest to get through Study.com), and you just enroll when you're ready and do the cornerstone and capstone in a single term.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TINASAM
(03-12-2021, 04:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think that a competency-based degree is not a great option for someone with medical issues. If you hit a bad spot medically, and you're out of commission for a while, I'd think you'd want to be able to take time off without it impacting school. A degree at COSC would allow that, and for not a ton of money (I think if you could do it for around $3000).

Since you already have more than 24cr of RA, you could use non-duplicative Sophia courses to meet your remaining GE requirements, and get as many cheap credits as possible. Then use Study.com to get your remaining courses, especially the UL's (it looks like you already have 1).

Choose 2 concentrations (Business & Psych are the easiest to get through Study.com), and you just enroll when you're ready and do the cornerstone and capstone in a single term.

what degree would this be for at COSC, as this seems good. Just get everything prepped, enroll, and bang out the corner and cap in the one term and be done.
Thank you for your reply, this was an extremely helpful post.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025

Up Next 

(03-12-2021, 04:52 PM)TINASAM Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 04:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think that a competency-based degree is not a great option for someone with medical issues.  If you hit a bad spot medically, and you're out of commission for a while, I'd think you'd want to be able to take time off without it impacting school.  A degree at COSC would allow that, and for not a ton of money (I think if you could do it for around $3000).

Since you already have more than 24cr of RA, you could use non-duplicative Sophia courses to meet your remaining GE requirements, and get as many cheap credits as possible.  Then use Study.com to get your remaining courses, especially the UL's (it looks like you already have 1).

what degree would this be for at COSC, as this seems good. Just get everything prepped, enroll, and bang out the corner and cap in the one term and be done.
Thank you for your reply, this was an extremely helpful post.

This is the BSLS (Bachelor of Science in Liberal Studies), with a concentration in Individualized Studies in Xyz/Xyz (choose 2-3 concentrations). https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...tudies.php
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you DFRECORE!
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025

Up Next 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 5 89 1 hour ago
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 6 189 1 hour ago
Last Post: davewill
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 249 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 10 537 09-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,190 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DSST testing advice (for beginner) audpants 2 192 08-26-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS Degree planning advice, need help huiwh1998 18 1,345 08-26-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking Advice on Pursuing an MBA for Career Advancement in the USA leop25 4 521 08-26-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Advice needed for Health Degree thethinker58 13 1,734 08-10-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: wow
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 33 2,760 07-26-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK