Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma
Hi,

A friend of mine would like to study online (something like UoPeople or UMPI). She is 29 and didn't finish the local equivalent of high school. Is there any way to join higher education programs without a high school diploma if you are an adult with work experience?

The crazy idea I had was to do the exam version of an ENEB Masters degree (they seem to accept almost anyone with work experience). This degree could be sent to an evaluator, and then it might be enough for admission to other online degree programs.

Is there any other way that she could get admitted to online programs regarding the current situation? Do some schools accept people with experience but no high school diploma?
GED is pretty easy to pass. Would that be a possibility?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikachu's post:
  • LevelUP
Where is the 'local' is this for this person, is the student US, Canada or other international (what country)?
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

They wouldn't be able to attend UMPI unless they have an associate degree. UMPI requires everyone to prove they have a high school diploma unless they have a previous degree. Most colleges in the US require proof of high school graduation/GED. I have seen some international students have issues because high school and transcripts are very different in other parts of the world. If they're in the US, the best thing to do would be to get a GED. Many jobs require high school/GED, too.
(06-13-2024, 01:15 PM)allvia Wrote: Where is the 'local' is this for this person, is the student US, Canada or other international (what country)?

The person is living in Belarus. Redoing school as an adult is not that easy there (not even sure if possible at all).

Also, the GED might be an option. I looked it up and it seems like it can be taken online and U.S. citizenship is not a requirement. So, if the online universities actually accept that instead of a high school diploma that might be a great option. Legally, it counts as an equal qualification to a high school diploma?
(06-13-2024, 02:23 PM)David1477 Wrote: Also, the GED might be an option. I looked it up and it seems like it can be taken online and U.S. citizenship is not a requirement. So, if the online universities actually accept that instead of a high school diploma that might be a great option. Legally, it counts as an equal qualification to a high school diploma?

Unfortunately GED can only be taken online in the USA. Outside of that you'll have to take it at a Pearson test center. I looked it up with my account and it seems the most convenient center for your friend would be in Poland.
Maybe Penn Foster is an option - https://www.pennfoster.edu/high-school/diploma  They happen to have quite a few courses that are ACE (college credits like Sophia). It is possible some of their courses crossover (meaning she may be able to earn college credits and a high school diploma at the same time).  You may want to post a separate post on this option (listing 'Penn Foster Help' or similar as the subject), as I know there has been quite a few people here that used them and would be more familiar than I on the details. They offer payment plans as well (Tuition that in the US is quite reasonable, but I can't speak to your local currency)

Maybe they would even take in Sophia (college credits), as transfer for certain subjects (that would help greatly with efficiency in meeting the goal wanted of a US RA college degree).
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Does Pierpont require a high school diploma? I think they're now open to international students. If she is able to go through Pierpont and get her associate degree, then she wouldn't have to have high school transcripts for UMPI or many other colleges.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • allvia, staceydiane
Pierpont didn't ask for my high school diploma, as I brought in 9 RA credits from TEL Learning and all of my Sophia credits. My high school in Florida closed down, so I didn't want to go down the route of contacting the state to retrieve it.
---
Completed:
Purdue Global - Masters in Cybersecurity
TAMUC - BAAS Organizational Leadership
Pierpont - AAS BOG

[-] The following 3 users Like fromthedepths's post:
  • allvia, ss20ts, staceydiane
(06-14-2024, 07:43 AM)fromthedepths Wrote: Pierpont didn't ask for my high school diploma, as I brought in 9 RA credits from TEL Learning and all of my Sophia credits. My high school in Florida closed down, so I didn't want to go down the route of contacting the state to retrieve it.

That sounds like a nightmare! I graduated in the 90's and everything is on paper in storage. Super fun to get documents. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to get documents from a high school that closed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Med school - anyone interested? Well... bjcheung77 17 564 6 hours ago
Last Post: Bingbong
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 17 2,843 09-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  “How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It” Jonathan Whatley 7 434 09-09-2024, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  Question about admission hueyhoang 3 334 08-31-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,699 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  I went crazy and bought 5 - Level 7 Diploma's... bjcheung77 9 2,260 08-25-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Elon Musk is opening a Montessori school in Texas this fall Charles Fout 22 1,707 08-09-2024, 11:41 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SARA Source - catalog of distance education programs stats-time 3 422 08-03-2024, 04:55 PM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,342 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 705 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77