Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accounting v. HR
I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on receiving a degree with an Accounting empahsis or an HR emphasis. What do you think is better? In my area, DC area, HR is very competitive. I am sure accounting is as well, but it seems accounting is a skill that is always in demand.
blueyzz28 Wrote:I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on receiving a degree with an Accounting empahsis or an HR emphasis. What do you think is better? In my area, DC area, HR is very competitive. I am sure accounting is as well, but it seems accounting is a skill that is always in demand.

accounting is a very demanding field ....here in the US ....

perhaps you can make HR as a specified minor ...
[SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

CLEP

Intro to Psychology- 50
Natural Sciences - 53
Western Civilization II- 57
Humanities - 61
History of US I - 59
Social Sciences & History - 54
Western Civilization I - 67
Principles of Mgmt- 53
Intro to Sociology -64

DANTES

Rise and Fall of Soviet Union - 54
Intro to Middle East- 56
Intro to World Religions- 74
Intro to Computing - 53
Principles of Supervision- 51
Mgmt Info Sys- 53
Intro to Buisness- 59
American Ethics-51
I think that the accounting route opens a lot more doors. There was a recent article (can't find the link, sorry) that talked about all of the CEO's that came to their position though the accounting world.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
blueyzz28 Wrote:I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on receiving a degree with an Accounting empahsis or an HR emphasis. What do you think is better? In my area, DC area, HR is very competitive. I am sure accounting is as well, but it seems accounting is a skill that is always in demand.
blue,

Which one interests you more? Obviously there is no sense in getting a degree in a field you wouldn't enjoy or aren't even interested in. Having said that, I would agree that an accounting degree will most likely open a lot more doors for you than an HR degree. Just my two cents'. Big Grin

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
I believe that HR is a smaller field than Accounting. However, in order to become a CPA, most states are now requiring the AICPA recommended 150 semester hours of education. I'm not saying a bachelor's in accounting won't get you a job, because it will. I'm only saying that overall, the accounting career will require significantly more education in the long run.

All of that being said, if you do decide on Accounting, all required accounting courses can be taken through Independent Study at LSU. These are probably the least expensive options available at $229 per course. These courses are not easy though. It definitely takes dedication to complete.

LSU Independent and Distance Learning

Good luck,
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="blue"]
BS in Accounting(General) from Excelsior College
Enrolled in MBA program at Upper Iowa University.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
True. To become a CPA is quite an ordeal. But you don't need to be a CPA to work in an accounting department. In accounting you have access to the entire company similar to HR. All departments need money. Many companies are adding a Strategic Planning arm to their accounting group. A business degree in accounting is just the skill set required for the position. I've worked for a few companies and have seen many people from the finance department branch out into key positions. On the contrary I've never seen an HR person leave the department and every new hire had been in an HR department at another company. This is purely my personal experience. JoAnne's advice is best. What are you more interested in? The degree is only a part of the puzzle.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
My problem is that I tend to be passionate about many things, so it is hard for me to make up my mind..LOL. I think I have the inquiring mind needed for accounting, but not sure I want to deal with numbers all day. I feel that I am good with people, which is why I might like HR. Then there are times I think I may just earn a BS in General Business since I am not sure which concentration I may like. The problem is that I want to be as valuable to an organization as possible to enhance my opportunities to "get the job" but believe having a concentration would give me that edge opposed to the General Business degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,640 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Real? OTHM Level 7 Diploma in Accounting and Finance David1477 1 478 06-20-2024, 01:53 AM
Last Post: OtterDen
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 728 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Need 12 Accounting Credits... TallC 6 1,461 08-17-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 7 2,577 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Intermediate Accounting I and II self-paced options? RDUstudent 6 1,597 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Teach myself Accounting natshar 7 2,115 04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: natshar
Question list of available accounting courses udi 7 2,050 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  New CSU Global SSAs in Accounting sanantone 15 3,513 11-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa Motivated2move 16 3,236 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: davewill