Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ABA-approved, fully online law school
Thanks for the info Sanantone. Look like a curious situation...
I'm curious about this situation and also about coming to the US to take the BAR exam with a BLL or MLL from abroad that allow practice in another country but it was studied online. example in Spain you can study law online and is perfectly fine. Other countries have similar situations where you can study law online.
(12-08-2022, 01:01 PM)Kab Wrote: Thanks for the info Sanantone. Look like a curious situation...
I'm curious about this situation and also about coming to the US to take the BAR exam with a BLL or MLL from abroad that allow practice in another country but it was studied online. example in Spain you can study law online and is perfectly fine. Other countries have similar situations where you can study law online.

Being eligible to take the BAR and being eligible to get a license to practice law in the US are 2 different things. There is not a national law license in the US. Each state has it's own BAR and licensing. Online law programs are extremely new in the US. 

I can't say that an online law JD program outside of NY will be acceptable in NY. NY does now have an online JD program at Syracuse University. It is NOT 100% online. 

http://law.syr.edu/admissions/online-jd-program/
California allows it now. Concord Law School at Purdue University Global is in California and got ABA accreditation now too.
(12-08-2022, 02:47 PM)ashkir Wrote: California allows it now. Concord Law School at Purdue University Global is in California and got ABA accreditation now too.

I don’t think this is correct. It is California Bar approved, but not ABA.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(12-08-2022, 04:08 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 02:47 PM)ashkir Wrote: California allows it now. Concord Law School at Purdue University Global is in California and got ABA accreditation now too.

I don’t think this is correct. It is California Bar approved, but not ABA.

From their own website:

In 2020, Concord was granted full accreditation by the State Bar of California, becoming one of the first online law schools to achieve that milestone. 

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases...ation.html

Concord is not on the list of schools approved by the American Bar Association. The ABA Standards for the Approval of Law Schools currently do not allow for JD programs that are delivered fully online.
https://www.concordlawschool.edu/

Is Concord ABA-approved?

Concord Law School is one of the first online law schools to be accredited by the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California, but is not accredited by the ABA. While the American Bar Association (ABA) does not accredit fully online schools, the Committee of Bar Examiners in California does accredit schools in this category. Due to its accreditation by the Committee, Concord has the authority to offer a Juris Doctor degree that qualifies recipients to take the California Bar Examination to be admitted to practice in California.
Concord is a part of Purdue University Global, which is a regionally accredited university. We are proud of our rigorous law curriculum and our designation as the first online law school and first to be regionally accredited.
Learn more about our accreditation and approvals.

https://www.concordlawschool.edu/about/faqs/
My mistake! The article I read said they're accredited by ABA!
(12-08-2022, 02:47 PM)ashkir Wrote: California allows it now.

California has always allowed it. The school doesn't even need State Bar or ABA approval for your law degree to be recognized here. State Bar approval of online schools is fairly new here, but the schools are not.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Master in Sustainable Transition - Germany (No Tuition Fee, English, Online Program) kumamon 2 320 03-27-2024, 11:03 PM
Last Post: armado
  Czech 100% online MBA and DBA for 3k/5k David1477 7 327 03-25-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 893 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 496 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 271 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,850 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  List of Cheap Online MBA Programs That Can Be Completed in Under 1 Year LevelUP 23 14,352 03-03-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 496 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,354 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,019 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree