Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A few questions to current/past students
Excuse me for opening threads everywhere but I'd like to explore my options as much as possible  Big Grin

I'd like to know everyone's experience at UMPI.
Like how hard is the coursework?
How much writing is involved? (I'm looking at the business degree in marketing specifically if it matters)
Are there exams?
How responsive is the staff once you're enrolled? Do they waste your time?
If anyone set up a payment plan, how does that work? Since terms are 8 weeks, is is a 50-50 split or can it be more?

Any and all help/details would be much appreciated!
Questions are like crack cocaine here. People love to answer questions.

I don't have experience taking courses with UMPI, so I'll let someone else answer your specific questions.

The people here on DegreeForum usually know more than those you talk to at the colleges. So if you have other questions, don't hesitate to come back here and ask.

UMPI Degree Plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:UMPI
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Life_One, Mr T, superman7136
Each class is finished with a 3-10 page paper or project of some kind. The exact specifications depend on the class. A few classes have exams. Business math, for instance, would be an exam. From what I've heard from UMPI students here, the staff are usually very responsive.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
@OP - Basically, I would take some time reviewing the UMPI pages on the Wiki and threads/posts on this sub forum. It all depends on the number of hours and the commitments that you have, each person would have varying answers.

This might be a side tracking question, but did you get all the answers you wanted from your previous thread or posts here? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid369823
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Mr T
(06-23-2022, 09:24 AM)PointAndClick Wrote: Excuse me for opening threads everywhere but I'd like to explore my options as much as possible  Big Grin

How much writing is involved? (I'm looking at the business degree in marketing specifically if it matters)
Are there exams?
If anyone set up a payment plan, how does that work? Since terms are 8 weeks, is is a 50-50 split or can it be more?

Most classes have a paper. In the BABA program they're typically 5-8 pages. In the Marketing Concentration, there are some that are 10-15 and 15+ pages. There are a couple of classes with projects and a few exams depending which courses you complete at UMPI. I believe there are less than 5 exams in the entire BABA major. 

Staff is very responsive. Summer is a bit tough because the campus is on summer hours. So they're open fewer hours a day and closed Fridays. Lots of vacations. 

The payment plans for YourPace you'd have to check with Financial Aid about. I believe they were $700 a month plus a fee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Mr T
(06-23-2022, 12:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 09:24 AM)PointAndClick Wrote: Excuse me for opening threads everywhere but I'd like to explore my options as much as possible  Big Grin

Are there exams?

Most classes have a paper. In the BABA program they're typically 5-8 pages. In the Marketing Concentration, there are some that are 10-15 and 15+ pages. There are a couple of classes with projects and a few exams depending which courses you complete at UMPI. I believe there are less than 5 exams in the entire BABA major. 

Staff is very responsive. Summer is a bit tough because the campus is on summer hours. So they're open fewer hours a day and closed Fridays. Lots of vacations. 

The payment plans for YourPace you'd have to check with Financial Aid about. I believe they were $700 a month plus a fee.

For being such a small staff, the response time is pretty impressive. There doesn't seem to be a weak link in the mix. I even had a cool conversation with IT after an error with some sign-in details. Long after the ticket was closed, they called multiple times until we connected to triple-check that all was in place and good to go. I feel those little details (+cost value)  will continue to move UMPI up the ranking in this forum. Even though my father has zero value in another degree outside of the adventure, he joked that if they had an MS in Psychology, he would also jump on the train.
Virginia University of Lynchburg Doctorate of Healthcare Administration 2024
Universidad Isabel I / ENEB MBA & Master in Big Data and Business Intelligence, summa cum laude
University of Presque Isle BABA Management and Leadership, magna cum lauda
RANSOMSOUL
[-] The following 1 user Likes KSoul's post:
  • Mr T

Are there exams?

I don't really know about difficulty. Everything was manageable. Some classes have a lot of content, some less. You'll find your pace as you go.

I did 13 classes and wrote about two hundred and fifty pages between them. But I majored in history, which I suspect is more writing intensive than many other majors, and even then could have gotten away with writing less.

I took exactly one class with a final exam (economics).

All the staff and faculty I dealt with were both responsive and helpful. 

I did a payment plan on the first session. It was supposed to be about $250 per month for six months, but you have to pay off one session to do another, so I just paid it off in full after the session ended and didn't bother with the payment plan again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes wildebeest's post:
  • Pikachu
Thanks so much for the feedback guys, I think I’ve decided to go with UMPI over Excelsior Smile

Does anyone know whether any Saylor.org courses transfer in towards a degree?
Saylor courses should transfer to UMPI, but that doesn't seem to be done by people. If you've already done Saylor courses, which ones? If you're thinking about doing Saylor courses, I would strongly suggest Sophia instead. We have a good history of which Sophia courses have worked for what UMPI requirements.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I'm taking Sophia courses mostly but I see a GEC req on the wiki that is polsci, Sophia doesn't have that but Saylor does (POLSC101: Introduction to Political Science) so mainly wondering whether that would transfer in for that spot.

Saylor also has some business and CS courses I'd be interested, would rather stay away from Study.com as that seems quite pricey - I know it's not all things considered but in my current situation it is.

I'm also wondering whether I can get around the Spanish requirement. I speak 4 languages total but Spanish isn't one of them
[-] The following 1 user Likes PointAndClick's post:
  • Vle045

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding international admissions. kjhkjh2001 11 564 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Questions about course selection beikaRAY 2 221 03-01-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BLS PM - Changing Major - Questions Gijaodola 6 549 02-26-2024, 05:51 PM
Smile BAS UMPI Degree Planning Questions Chimera 6 635 02-25-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: Chimera
  radicallena - UMPI Questions radicallena 14 2,067 01-04-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  International students decide to apply to umpi xxZzyuu 6 631 01-03-2024, 05:28 PM
  Admission Requirements for Ancient Homeschooled Students Spalmer 2 404 01-03-2024, 04:19 PM
  UMPI Transfer Credit Questions Cb1818c 2 519 12-02-2023, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Ncerva
  Bus 343 questions Sara143 17 1,112 11-20-2023, 11:30 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Degree Plan- and a few questions Milky_Way 7 741 10-30-2023, 08:57 PM