Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-18 months PhD in Health Sciences - Faulkner University
I recently contacted Faulkner University and spoke directly with Dr. Cody Thompson, Program Director. 

Let me share two things.

1. I already hold a DHA (Doctor of Healthcare Administration) from Virginia University of Lynchburg. In speaking with him about transfer of doctoral credits, here is his direct response: 

"Dr. Smith,

My apologies for the delayed response. It looks like I could give you credit for 8310, 8309, and 8306. I can't apply credit for multiple courses from the same course, and these are the most clear to apply to our coursework from your DHA.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Cody"

2. Outside of my specific scenario, the program is actually 18 months. 10 courses, plus Dissertation. The courses are all 5 weeks long [https://www.faulkner.edu/academic-resources/academic-calendar/#5week].

I would be done in less time based on three courses being transferred. 

"This fully online graduate program consists of 10 didactic courses, totaling 30 credit hours, which can be completed in one full year. This is followed by five dissertation courses that total 15 credit hours. The dissertation phase can be completed in six months, depending on the student."

https://www.faulkner.edu/graduate/gradua...es-phd-hs/

And of course, Faulkner University is RA with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).

For a PhD it's pretty economical @ $780/credit x 45 credits = $35,100 (approx)
Completed

Doctor of Healthcare Administration Virginia University of Lynchburg, 2024
Master's in Project Management  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2024
MBA  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022
Master in Business & Corporate Communication  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022
BA (Equivalent)  |  NACES, ECE

In Progress

Master's in Human Resources Management, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Master's in Big Data & Business Intelligence, Universidad Isabel I / ENEB
Master of Arts in Human Rights Practice | University of Arizona
Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts, Excelsior University 

[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeladsmith2's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
It's interesting, this particular program just requires 'an accredited institution' grad degree, whereas the other two doctoral programs require transcripts from RA institutions.  Here's the snippet: Graduate degree from an accredited institution in health sciences or a related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA

Tuition is cheaper for the other two, the number of classes for study seems to be the same but will take longer, at least 3 years...
Doctor of Philosophy in Biblical Studies
Doctor of Philosophy in Humanities
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks, Michael. It's interesting. I did not expect Faulkner University's programs will accept transferred credits.
The Humanities is 650 a credit but the biblical MS degree is cheaper at 575/cr.
Current Degree Programs:
MASS  - GSU - May 2025
MLM - Elmwood Inst. - June 2025

Up Next 
Ph.D in Change Leadership in Equity and Inclusion  - UCA

Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors -PC&TC  8/2021
ASBA (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

(07-04-2024, 02:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's interesting, this particular program just requires 'an accredited institution' grad degree, whereas the other two doctoral programs require transcripts from RA institutions.  Here's the snippet: Graduate degree from an accredited institution in health sciences or a related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA

You bring up a good point about admission requirements. How does one spin a DHA which is a business degree, into a "graduate degree in a health science or a related field?" To me, "related fields" are more like I have a master's degree in chemistry and an interest in health science academics. It's good to know they accept transfer credits!
(07-05-2024, 10:28 AM)Stonybeach Wrote:
(07-04-2024, 02:02 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: It's interesting, this particular program just requires 'an accredited institution' grad degree, whereas the other two doctoral programs require transcripts from RA institutions.  Here's the snippet: Graduate degree from an accredited institution in health sciences or a related field with a minimum 3.0 GPA

You bring up a good point about admission requirements. How does one spin a DHA which is a business degree, into a "graduate degree in a health science or a related field?" To me, "related fields" are more like I have a master's degree in chemistry and an interest in health science academics. It's good to know they accept transfer credits!

There's very little science in most health science programs. Health science programs look a lot like healthcare administration programs. If I were on the admissions committee, I'd be wondering why someone would want to earn two very similar doctorates, but I can see why someone would want to cover up their TRACS-accredited degree with an RA degree.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • ss20ts
(07-05-2024, 12:39 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-05-2024, 10:28 AM)Stonybeach Wrote:

There's very little science in most health science programs. Health science programs look a lot like healthcare administration programs. 

That is precisely why the admission requirements include a "graduate degree in a health science or related field!" The admission requirement asks applicants to have a graduate degree in the health sciences fields such as nursing, medicine, psychology, physician assistant, respiratory therapy, exercise physiology, athletic training, etc. One needs to talk the talk or walk the walk in the health sciences. As a licensed nurse practitioner, I could leverage a PhD in health sciences to teach or engage in clinical research as a sub-investigator or even a principal investigator. Generally, the PhD holders in any discipline can teach research methodologies and statistics.

Of course, if the school accepts people with a DHA or any graduate degree with no health science background, that is their privilege. I agree that a PhD from a respectable RA school like Faulkner University is certainly a plus! It sounds like Faulkner University is flexible in its admission standards. Admission committees typically look at the big picture. For example, if an applicant was a retired military instructor in a health-related military occupational specialty and holds a DHA, that may check the box.

Let's get real. A DHA from the College of Business from VUL has nothing to do with the "health sciences" as a stand-alone graduate degree. The DHA is plain and simply, a business degree with a focus in healthcare administration. It does have healthcare leadership coursework that may apply for transfer to a PhD program at Faulkner, but the foundational requisite of having a "health science" background is technically not met with a DHA alone! A doctoral degree in health science may give health scientists more tools in their toolbox by adding business-like coursework, but it should never ignore the core foundation health science practitioners have obtained.
Everyone,

I really appreciate your input and feedback. Very good conversation and well written response. Yes, the VUL DHA is geared towards exactly what the degree says, “Healthcare Administration.” And VUL is not alone. There are several DHA programs from other schools that specifically target MBAs or other business related professionals who want to transition or work directly in Hospital or healthcare C-Suite leadership. And of course if you google “Jobs for DHA holders,” you’ll get 100+ jobs where a person can work across a host of industries and healthcare systems e.g., WHO, CDC, United Nations, NGOs, Local , State or Federal governments, County Health Departments, etc.

My reason for reaching out to Faulkner was two-fold. 1. The program (based on my DHA transferable credits) would be less than 1 year, or very close to maybe 12-15 months, since Dr. Thompson has already made it possible to transfer 3 courses. And 2, a PhD gives you more leverage in academic teaching and research opportunities.

The DHA (across many schools) is still a relatively new degree that has yet to be fully tested. While it is recognized, the marketplace is still testing the quality of a DHA in several areas of competency and applications in the real world.

Finally, my last reason is that I have limited experience in healthcare management (only serving as a healthcare chaplain), though I have over 30 years of leadership experience across other sectors. I’m finding it difficult to secure teaching positions with a DHA. I’ve received a ton of job offers for management and a couple VP offers for hospital administration. But my personal goals are that I really don’t want to work for someone else and work a 9-5. I desire flexibility and freedom at this stage in my life.
Completed

Master in Business & Corporate Communication  |  Universidad Isabel I / ENEB, 2022

In Progress

(07-05-2024, 04:56 PM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote: Everyone,

I really appreciate your input and feedback. Very good conversation and well written response. Yes, the VUL DHA is geared towards exactly what the degree says, “Healthcare Administration.” And VUL is not alone. There are several DHA programs from other schools that specifically target MBAs or other business related professionals who want to transition or work directly in Hospital or healthcare C-Suite leadership. And of course if you google “Jobs for DHA holders,” you’ll get 100+ jobs where a person can work across a host of industries and healthcare systems e.g., WHO, CDC, United Nations, NGOs, Local , State or Federal governments, County Health Departments, etc.

My reason for reaching out to Faulkner was two-fold. 1. The program (based on my DHA transferable credits) would be less than 1 year, or very close to maybe 12-15 months, since Dr. Thompson has already made it possible to transfer 3 courses. And 2, a PhD gives you more leverage in academic teaching and research opportunities.

The DHA (across many schools) is still a relatively new degree that has yet to be fully tested. While it is recognized, the marketplace is still testing the quality of a DHA in several areas of competency and applications in the real world.

Finally, my last reason is that I have limited experience in healthcare management (only serving as a healthcare chaplain), though I have over 30 years of leadership experience across other sectors. I’m finding it difficult to secure teaching positions with a DHA. I’ve received a ton of job offers for management and a couple VP offers for hospital administration. But my personal goals are that I really don’t want to work for someone else and work a 9-5. I desire flexibility and freedom at this stage in my life.

Being a Chaplain involves counseling and psychology, which I see as a "related" field, especially since Faulkner University is a religious school that holistically looks at spiritual and mental health. Did they say how old the credits can be in transfer? It will be interesting to see what your dissertation research topic will be. Any ideas? Do you have a theoretical framework? As a veteran, I would love to read a qualitative study on the holistic impact of chaplain counseling on the veteran population.
(07-05-2024, 05:40 PM)Stonybeach Wrote:
(07-05-2024, 04:56 PM)michaeladsmith2 Wrote: Everyone,

Being a Chaplain involves counseling and psychology, which I see as a "related" field, especially since Faulkner University is a religious school that holistically looks at spiritual and mental health. Did they say how old the credits can be in transfer? It will be interesting to see what your dissertation research topic will be. Any ideas? Do you have a theoretical framework? As a veteran, I would love to read a qualitative study on the holistic impact of chaplain counseling on the veteran population.

Thank you for your kind words and support. 

If I decide to pursue this PhD at Faulkner, as an ACT Therapist, Mental Health First Aid National Trainer and Mental Health Professional/Advocate, I would certainly due my research on Veterans. My tentative research question would be this: What are the long-term outcomes of Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training on veterans' mental health outcomes, such as symptom severity, quality of life, and resilience? 

The PhD in Health Sciences offers extensive opportunities for research and applications across various aspects of healthcare. This includes fields like mental health, counseling, therapy, and psychology, making them ideal areas for submitting high-quality research.
Completed

In Progress

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sabi University Alpha 13 3,243 2 hours ago
Last Post: TINASAM
  Binghamton University System Science PhD for $15k NotJoeBiden 3 168 09-16-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  University of Central Arkansas's Online Ph.D mohelena02 24 5,409 07-25-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  European International University basu888 51 23,302 07-25-2024, 05:33 AM
Last Post: stevennguyen15691
  Florida Atlantic University: PhD in CS $34K bjcheung77 16 3,844 07-21-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: compsci
  VERN' and Brittany University doyouhowdo1 5 1,024 06-21-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 90 10,543 06-04-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Capitol Technology University PhD in Cyberpsychology Sarit1046 20 1,944 04-23-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 1,400 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 5,683 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba