Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Atlantic University: PhD in CS $34K
(01-09-2022, 08:32 PM)ifomonay Wrote: You should go back and see the recent posts in that thread. Some of the senior members there did a little investigative research and discovered that the school is publishing bogus research. It appears that the school was setup to be Trump outlet based on their research. I think someone in that thread said that the university is going to lose its accreditation in the next review. It goes back to that adage, "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is".
Also, just to let you know professional doctorates are considered to be equivalent to Ph.D's. They are fully qualified to be on Ph.D. committees, be Ph.D readers and take on other academic-type roles. The most recognized professional doctorates are the DBA's and EdD's.  I Googled it and found that graduates with these degrees (and other common professional doctorates) hold tenured faculty positions at top universities like MIT and Stanford. So you can earn a professional doctorate (wouldn't recommend FAU though) and have all the privileges a Ph.D holder has.

Whoa. That's seriously overreaching.

FAU is a member of Florida's public university system, is 60 years old, more than 30 thousand students, a medical school, yadda yadda. It's not going away any time soon (full disclosure: I went to Floida State University, PhD'08). I doubt they can do much about the one dope on their faculty (out of hundreds); might be reluctant to do anything seeing the current political climate. A school that had their accreditor worried is the supposed "flagship", University of Florida, over admins trying to silence some professors trying to serve as expert witnesses in a case inconvenient to Governor DeSantis. Even in that case, and as much as I would want to embarrass them Gators - no one is in any serious danger of losing their accreditations. Another issue is a Republican bill trying to require universities to rotate their accreditors every five years - which is so stupid it can't possibly become law.

In short, FAU is a solid place. I'd say anything with "Florida" in its name lost a little bit of reputation thanks to close association with Trump and sorry ass people that keep winning nationwide offices there (De Santis, Scott), but this is at best a minor consideration for someone after a PhD in Computer Science, people.
Hey guys, let's keep this thread on-topic and as factual as possible -- no veering off into the political or personal. Thanks.
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
[-] The following 2 users Like sgloer's post:
  • dserios, SteveFoerster
Just wanted to give some updates on the program. Fall 2022 Registration started today. The course schedule through Fall 2023 are now published:
Program's main page:
https://www.fau.edu/engineering/eecs/gra...ional-phd/

This is the link to the 2022-2023 course schedule:
https://www.fau.edu/engineering/eecs/pdf...2-2023.pdf
Thanks for the info, dserios!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your Master's in? Was it CS. I have a data science masters and a ton of CS courses and am considering the program.
MS, Data Science, Eastern University
ALM, Information Technology, Harvard University
AB, Government, Georgetown University

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Virginia University of Lynchburg Accreditation on Warning Jonathan Whatley 22 2,374 03-20-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: Dr_Chirp
  DBA from Prague University of Economics and Business, 15k Euro durain 6 808 03-17-2024, 12:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Golden Gate University or Apollos DBA? kb24bi8 39 3,838 02-22-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Philosophy PhD by Thesis ~ USD $20K from Staffordshire University UK MFG 2 391 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  European International University basu888 47 15,392 01-21-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Westcliff University DBA - RA, ACBSP for $16.5k armado 4 526 01-18-2024, 10:34 PM
Last Post: armado
  Spain Inter-University Doctoral Programme in Business & Management durain 3 758 11-14-2023, 03:49 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Texila American University - $7800 online PhD (multiple fields) Kalas 9 1,477 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Open University of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv? kb24bi8 21 2,559 10-31-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Harry101
  Mississippi State University online PhD in Computer Science ifomonay 22 5,159 10-16-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: jkenigson