Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why degree mills center so hard in post-graduate degrees?
If you look on most threads here and in the sister forum, it seems most degree mills focus mostly on postgraduate "studies" (MBA, masters, Doctors, post-doctoral whatever) and business programs, it even makes actual, legitimate Business Schools that cater to postgraduates look less legitimate somehow.

Very few mills have had it seems Undergraduate, I know it means very little, but it's a weird pattern here, why is that? is it because Undergraduate education is way more regulated and/or better researched by HR?
(09-26-2023, 05:12 PM)elcastor21 Wrote: If you look on most threads here and in the sister forum, it seems most degree mills focus mostly on postgraduate "studies" (MBA, masters, Doctors, post-doctoral whatever) and business programs, it even makes actual, legitimate Business Schools that cater to postgraduates look less legitimate somehow.

Very few mills have had it seems Undergraduate, I know it means very little, but it's a weird pattern here, why is that? is it because Undergraduate education is way more regulated and/or better  researched by HR?

I think it's because of people's psychology. Graduate degree, especially one which would provide sense of belonging to a privileged, "elite" group, is more desired than undergraduate degree. People are easily manipulated with their emotions. That's why some people are crazy if they see an "MBA" for $300 even when they know a real MBA for top-level executive can cost $100,000 and more. They want to be able to say "hey, I'm just like those CEO guys from F100, I also have an MBA" at least to themselves. Can't blame them for their feelings, but they are lying to themselves and are manipulated into buying a piece of paper because of that.
So because of that the diploma mill's revenue is likely to be higher, as more people would buy an "elite" degree than just a "degree".
(09-26-2023, 05:36 PM)berlinerd Wrote: I think it's because of people's psychology. Graduate degree, especially one which would provide sense of belonging to a privileged, "elite" group, is more desired than undergraduate degree. People are easily manipulated with their emotions. That's why some people are crazy if they see an "MBA" for $300 even when they know a real MBA for top-level executive can cost $100,000 and more. They want to be able to say "hey, I'm just like those CEO guys from F100, I also have an MBA" at least to themselves. Can't blame them for their feelings, but they are lying to themselves and are manipulated into buying a piece of paper because of that.
So because of that the diploma mill's revenue is likely to be higher, as more people would buy an "elite" degree than just a "degree.

I understand it may be for the status, but, what would a buyer of such "degree" would answer when HR or anyone ask them about their bachelor, how did they got an MBA without having one (I understand there are cases like the UK's Qualification Framework allows such things, but most people don´t)

Also, there are perfectly legitimate MBAs for less than $1000, for starters ENEB/Isabel I, for those curious lurking here.

EDIT:
Quote:but they are lying to themselves and are manipulated into buying a piece of paper because of that.

I think that answers my question...
I think diploma mills can be also explained with the same psychology as microtransactions psychology in gaming.

Like, diploma mills rarely require study at all, you just buy and get a degree (in different forms, you may write a cover letter with your experience... etc.)
So the chain is quick: buy => get degree (emotional effect). Fast hormones so to speak. Legitimate degrees usually require some effort. Not necessarily difficulties, but just effort and time.

Quote:I understand it may be for the status, but, what would a buyer of such "degree" would answer when HR or anyone ask them about their bachelor, how did they got an MBA without having one (I understand there are cases like the UK's Qualification Framework allows such things, but most people don´t)

I think the same as with fake Birkin bags. "Oh, that's legitimate", just lying until the very end...
[-] The following 1 user Likes berlinerd's post:
  • elcastor21
I know a doctorate or PhD degree can cost over $100,000 and take 6-10 years to complete at an on-campus school.

So, a college offering a doctorate or PhD degree at a cost of around $20k or less, which can be completed in around 2 years, becomes very attractive.

Generally speaking, you should only pursue a doctorate or PhD if it's absolutely required for a job, such as teaching or research. Some people do obtain them as a status symbol.

The label of degree mill usually comes when employers don't recognize the legitimacy of degree.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • elcastor21, ss20ts
(09-26-2023, 05:40 PM)elcastor21 Wrote:
(09-26-2023, 05:36 PM)berlinerd Wrote: I think it's because of people's psychology. Graduate degree, especially one which would provide sense of belonging to a privileged, "elite" group, is more desired than undergraduate degree. People are easily manipulated with their emotions. That's why some people are crazy if they see an "MBA" for $300 even when they know a real MBA for top-level executive can cost $100,000 and more. They want to be able to say "hey, I'm just like those CEO guys from F100, I also have an MBA" at least to themselves. Can't blame them for their feelings, but they are lying to themselves and are manipulated into buying a piece of paper because of that.
So because of that the diploma mill's revenue is likely to be higher, as more people would buy an "elite" degree than just a "degree.

I understand it may be for the status, but, what would a buyer of such "degree" would answer when HR or anyone ask them about their bachelor, how did they got an MBA without having one (I understand there are cases like the UK's Qualification Framework allows such things, but most people don´t)

Also, there are perfectly legitimate MBAs for less than $1000, for starters ENEB/Isabel I, for those curious lurking here.

EDIT:
Quote:but they are lying to themselves and are manipulated into buying a piece of paper because of that.

I think that answers my question...

Not all MBAs are equated equal though.
[-] The following 2 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • elcastor21, Vle045
Degree/Diploma Mills target everyone, it's not just the Masters/Doctoral degrees, but everything in between from Certs, Dips, Bachelors, and onward... The main reason you see plenty of graduate ones is because more people have Associates and even Bachelors now, and the main seller would be anything above it. It's supply vs demand... people are demanding more, better/higher education, thus diploma mills are creating a venue for these...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • elcastor21
If you're trying to make a career change it would be seen as weird to have two Bachelor's, not as weird to have two Master's.

If you already have a legit Bachelor's and are already employed, your employer might not scrutinize a Master's or Doctorate's you get afterwards.

If you already have a legit Bachelor's that has little value in the real world, you're probably sick to death of school and would love to just test out or pay to get a diploma printed to try and make up for some of that wasted time/money from your undergrad. Like "Why can't I get a pay raise when Sally here doesn't know basic marketing and types with two fingers?" "Because, although her entire job is making coffee and giving bad customer service, Sally still has an MBA" "I can get an MBA too!".

If you're trying to move abroad, some countries don't really look up the details of your school or diploma as closely as they should, but you are only allowed to immigrate if you have a Master's, or they give you preferential treatment (easier and faster visa processing, or a visa valid for longer) etc.

Anyways I too have seen diploma mills at all levels. I've also seen stuff I thought was a diploma mill ($20 English Second Language Teaching Certificate, obtainable in 7 hours, offering some sort of credit) which turned out to be legit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,949 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 833 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 711 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,161 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 297 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Associate degrees??? midnite123 10 690 04-03-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 683 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  UVEG - Inexpensive Official Degrees in Mexico bjcheung77 13 1,865 03-28-2024, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 782 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,814 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden