Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UNC’s $97 Million Plan
Hmm, UNC's trying to "create an grow" their Adult Learning online options...  I think that's awesome if they can keep student costs down, they have 17 campuses within their "system" and goal is to enroll 24000+ students in the next few years... 

Link: UNC system to launch ambitious $97 million ed-tech start-up (insidehighered.com)
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Seems nuts to spend $97 MILLION on launching an online program. Several of the schools in the UNC system already have online degree programs and have for many years.
ss20ts Wrote:Seems nuts to spend $97 MILLION on launching an online program. Several of the schools in the UNC system already have online degree programs and have for many years.

That's true, since they have online programs already, they could spend less and merge all their offerings together... However, if they do get to that goal of 24000 and charge say 10K for each student, that's $240 million. Spending $97 million to get $240 million is a win in their shoes already, it's still risky if they don't get that number of students...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-13-2021, 12:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
ss20ts Wrote:Seems nuts to spend $97 MILLION on launching an online program. Several of the schools in the UNC system already have online degree programs and have for many years.

That's true, since they have online programs already, they could spend less and merge all their offerings together... However, if they do get to that goal of 24000 and charge say 10K for each student, that's $240 million.  Spending $97 million to get $240 million is a win in their shoes already, it's still risky if they don't get that number of students...

That's IF they get 24,000 NEW students in 2026-2027. I don't see that happening instantly. They talk about the number of NC residents in programs at Liberty and Strayer and it sounds like they expect people to leave those programs and jump into an UNC program which isn't likely. For many people, it's not all about cost especially if your employer is paying for it. And transferring is a nightmare especially in state systems.
Generally speaking, it is MUCH easier to get into schools like Liberty and Strayer, and get moving, than into a state school system. The GE's alone will just about kill you. I'm taking courses at another state CC and trying to get them to approve me to take World Civ I - when I already have a bachelor's degree - is practically impossible. They are SO slow to look at transcripts, and their systems are just so bogged down. I can't imagine having to take lab sciences and all of that crap. Most adults just aren't going to want to take the slow tortuous path of the in-state school if they can find something that's easier to get going in. And which will take many, many more transfer credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 35 4,334 04-17-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 30,520 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Shocked Online Course Provider 2U (edX) Faces Doubts It Can Continue ($900 Million in debt) Ares 3 451 02-16-2024, 02:51 AM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,276 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 709 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Purdue Global Owes $128 Million. It May Not Be Able To Pay. smartdegree 12 1,601 12-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  UC Berkeley failed to disclose $240 million in funds from China elcastor21 3 498 09-07-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Supreme Court STRIKES DOWN Biden's $400 billion student loan forgiveness "plan" LevelUP 2 651 07-01-2023, 01:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Finlandia University - Plan didn't work...failed to save itself! bjcheung77 6 875 05-19-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 496 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ss20ts