Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed?
I completed three online classes in C++ at Washtenaw Community College, which is one of two introductory programming sequences (Intro, Objects, Data Structures). Because I did this, I was automatically awarded their "Advanced Certificate in C++ Programming", a standalone academic certificate. I knew this going into it, and the extra credential was one of the reasons I chose to get my intro classes done this way. 

I was aware of the 24 new credit requirement for the BACS. I figured I could still meet the requirement, even with earning the certificate, under the assumption that I was earning an extra certificate, not an extra degree. Notably, TESU does not yet know that I earned the certificate, because I sent my transcripts from WCC as soon as the final grade for my last class was posted (which I do for all of my transcripts), but before WCC processed the auto award. I didn't bother to tell them because I didn't think it mattered.

I had not worried about this until recently, when I gathered my materials for my OMSCS application. My unofficial WCC transcript slaps a big ol' "Degree Awarded" above my "Advanced Certificate", replete with a "Degree Date" and everything. This has me worried that my assumption was wrong, and that certificates are degrees, somehow.

I can lose the 12 WCC credits being after my most recent degree, but I also completed my SDC and Sophia courses in the gaps between my WCC classes, and I'd lose those too, meaning I'd be down to 14 credits new to a degree. Since I have a first BA already, and already put in my OMSCS application, I would basically give up on the BACS entirely. If certificates are degrees, I certainly wouldn't want to be awarded the BACS in direct violation of TESU's policies (they can take it away and that would be embarrassing), but it would also suck if my semantic confusion means I messed up my course plan.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
In Progress: 
* TESU BACS (goal of august '24 graduation)

Completed: 
* C++ Programming Certificate, Washtenaw Community College (August '23)
* Bachelors of Arts, a brick & mortar university (2020)

Future:
Georgia Tech OMSCS (Fall '24 onward!)
TESU applies their new degree policy to associate's degrees, bachelor's degrees, or to something higher than a bachelor's (masters, Phd, etc.). A certificate is not listed as a concern in their policy, which is available at the link below:

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...es-policy/

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...tificates/
In progress: HAU MBA (2/3rds done so far) Completed: BA Economics | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
(03-13-2024, 08:16 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: TESU applies their new degree policy to associate's degrees, bachelor's degrees, or to something higher than a bachelor's (masters, Phd, etc.). A certificate is not listed as a concern in their policy, which is available at the link below:

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...es-policy/

https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...tificates/

This is what I was hoping to hear, that it didn't matter. A momentary spot of anxiety. Thank you!
In Progress: 
* TESU BACS (goal of august '24 graduation)

Completed: 
* C++ Programming Certificate, Washtenaw Community College (August '23)
* Bachelors of Arts, a brick & mortar university (2020)

Future:
Georgia Tech OMSCS (Fall '24 onward!)
Actually, even if that certificate wasn't listed as a credential on TESU's webpage, those are still 'new credits' in their eyes. Basically, it's anything after your first Bachelors. So, for instance, you pretend in this example, you have a BA in History from Y2K, anything after that degree would count towards the 24 credit minimum requirement. Depending on the degree you are going for, BACS, you'll have more than the required credits as the major is already over that minimum.

You just need to be doing things as you're doing now, you're honest and wanting to add a certificate before your bachelors degree, this is because you want to hone your skills in the basic foundations of the BACS. It's also a very good option to get a better overall knowledge, filling in the learning or skills gap, bumping the GPA, or whatever your reasons are, you're essentially honestly being transparent with them, why you're doing this. To have a complete package...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 63 Today, 12:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense. CanICode 50 5,249 Yesterday, 09:25 AM
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 750 Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 266 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
  Certificate NeilK314 2 97 04-24-2024, 02:26 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 638 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 568 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 425 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 227 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 392 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill