Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BSBA BS... Dual degree nonsense.
So, I asked for advising to add the BSBA CIS to my degree plan a while back, and they did. I am applying for graduation, and they are informing me that the new catalog has separated different BSBA degrees into their own non-combinable, non-dual degrees. They have the exact same professional requirements and are from the same school, but they cannot be combined. They say a BSBA CIS is now a "Bachelor of Science (BS) degree program in Computer Information Systems" or a BS CIS. And the degree title doesn't mention anything about business administration. It has all the requirements of the BSBA but says nothing about business administration and cannot be combined with a BSBA for a dual degree.

So, for example:

BSBA Finance cannot be combined with a BS CIS... There is a webpage saying you can get two areas of study within the BSBA, but somehow, BS CIS is not in the BSBA category now. It is its own thing as of the 2023 catalog.

First, no one anywhere on the planet wants a bachelor's in business administration that doesn't say business administration. No one. A BS CIS is a ridiculous degree, and the people getting just that degree alone are probably equal to zero. The only people getting it are the people adding it on with the CS degree. Why would anyone take all of the business classes just to have a business degree that doesn't even say business on it? Who wants to explain to HR that this is "totally a business admin degree" when it says nothing about that?

So, potentially, I have wasted months of time. Advising specifically told me they added the BSBA CIS to my degree plan. That's what I asked for, and that's what they called it. I assumed we were fine to proceed, but now I am getting this nonsense about not being able to combine these "separate" degrees, whose only difference is the area of study. Ridiculous.
(10-20-2023, 05:21 PM)CanICode Wrote: So, I asked for advising to add the BSBA CIS to my degree plan a while back, and they did. I am applying for graduation, and they are informing me that the new catalog has separated different BSBA degrees into their own non-combinable, non-dual degrees. They have the exact same professional requirements and are from the same school, but they cannot be combined. They say a BSBA CIS is now a "Bachelor of Science (BS) degree program in Computer Information Systems" or a BS CIS. And the degree title doesn't mention anything about business administration. It has all the requirements of the BSBA but says nothing about business administration and cannot be combined with a BSBA for a dual degree.

So, for example:

BSBA Finance cannot be combined with a BS CIS... There is a webpage saying you can get two areas of study within the BSBA, but somehow, BS CIS is not in the BSBA category now. It is its own thing as of the 2023 catalog.

First, no one anywhere on the planet wants a bachelor's in business administration that doesn't say business administration. No one. A BS CIS is a ridiculous degree, and the people getting just that degree alone are probably equal to zero. The only people getting it are the people adding it on with the CS degree. Why would anyone take all of the business classes just to have a business degree that doesn't even say business on it? Who wants to explain to HR that this is "totally a business admin degree" when it says nothing about that?

So, potentially, I have wasted months of time. Advising specifically told me they added the BSBA CIS to my degree plan. That's what I asked for, and that's what they called it. I assumed we were fine to proceed, but now I am getting this nonsense about not being able to combine these "separate" degrees, whose only difference is the area of study. Ridiculous.

I thought you completed the requirements for the BSBA Finance. Then can't you graduate with that?

That does throw a rock in the Dual degree plan as you will now have to do extra courses.

BSBA Options:

• Accounting
  • Finance
  • Human Resources
  • Marketing
  • Operations Management (not easy to get as you have to take a lot of TESU courses)

[Image: Captura-de-pantalla-2023-03-26-185950.jpg]
[Image: BSBA-options.jpg]
Select Bachelor of Science to pick CIS:

[Image: BS.jpg]
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-20-2023, 05:41 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 05:21 PM)CanICode Wrote: So, I asked for advising to add the BSBA CIS to my degree plan a while back, and they did. I am applying for graduation, and they are informing me that the new catalog has separated different BSBA degrees into their own non-combinable, non-dual degrees. They have the exact same professional requirements and are from the same school, but they cannot be combined. They say a BSBA CIS is now a "Bachelor of Science (BS) degree program in Computer Information Systems" or a BS CIS. And the degree title doesn't mention anything about business administration. It has all the requirements of the BSBA but says nothing about business administration and cannot be combined with a BSBA for a dual degree.

So, for example:

I thought you completed the requirements for the BSBA Finance. Then can't you graduate with that?

That does throw a rock in the Dual degree plan as you will now have to do extra courses. 

I wonder what happens if you do general management? That has MIS and maybe DB management works too?

Here is the new catalog: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...n-systems/

The website for TESU is wrong. They are not called BSBA degrees anymore. You can only combine the BSBAs with other BSBAs and BSs with other BSs. Nonsense. It makes no sense at all. Also they are trying to put my on catalog year 2023 when the 2023-2024 catalog wasn't even released at the time I requested the degree program to be added. How can I be on the new catalog when the catalog just came out in July??? I'm losing my mind over here. Yes, I have completed the BSBA finance. I am still transferring in the final credits, but now they are telling me I cannot do a dual BSBA. Here is the thing: I have wasted MONTHS if this is the case. Because a CIS degree is negligible next to a CS degree, I wouldn't have even pursued this. I only pursued it because I wanted to stack it with finance.

I am being asked to be put on the 2022-2023 catalog because it makes no sense that I would be on the 2023-24 catalog if my degree was asked to be added before it was out and before summer hit. I have no idea how this will work out, but for people going forward they won't be able to do certain BSBA combos even though they are:

1. The same school
2. The same professional requirements
3. Allegedly, both are business admin degrees.

Advising says the director of the registrar has confirmed that they cannot be combined. TESU has seriously missed the mark on the purpose of dual degrees with this change.
Omg what??? I’m just a few credits shy of a BSBA in Accounting and CIS!! What would the new requirements even be??
In Progress: TESU BSBA Accounting, BS CIS, AS Computer Science, Cert Organizational Leadership
(10-20-2023, 06:00 PM)Kones Wrote: Omg what??? I’m just a few credits shy of a BSBA in Accounting and CIS!! What would the new requirements even be??

It's now allegedly two separate degrees that you cannot combine. If you have any other degree you had in mind that you wanted to do, you can't. TESU has a limit of 2.

Does anyone know how degree changes like this work? Does catalog year lock prevent this if you are on a different catalog? This is just nonsense.

"That does throw a rock in the Dual degree plan as you will now have to do extra courses."

Actually I can't even do it now. TESU has the two degree limit so I can only pick one of the BS degrees to go with my BACS degree if this stands.
(10-20-2023, 06:00 PM)Kones Wrote: Omg what??? I’m just a few credits shy of a BSBA in Accounting and CIS!! What would the new requirements even be??

If you want to dual degree or 2 aos. Then you will have to major in bs accounting / cpa and bs cis. 
This is what I am doing.  It has 2 more accounting courses than the bsba

I already have a bacs. So i can’t dual degree. I have to go for one degree with 2 aos.
(10-20-2023, 06:16 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

If you want to dual degree or 2 aos. Then you will have to major in bs accounting / cpa and bs cis. 

Which would be fine if it wasn't being thrown at me AFTER I had already planned this.
The issue with that for me is Advanced Accounting II is required but not offered anywhere. Even if I wanted to take it with TESU which I don’t want to have to do, it’s not offered until next March which would preclude me from being able to graduate in June as planned. Ugh!!
In Progress: TESU BSBA Accounting, BS CIS, AS Computer Science, Cert Organizational Leadership
(10-20-2023, 06:09 PM)CanICode Wrote: Actually I can't even do it now. TESU has the two degree limit so I can only pick one of the BS degrees to go with my BACS degree if this stands.

The CIS part is redundant once you have the BA in Computer Science.  So, the BSBA in Finance will look fine. All your credits will still show on your transcript even if they don't apply to a degree.

BS CIS sounds like some sort of IT degree, which would be pointless to get after you already have Computer Science. I see a lot of jobs asking for a business admin degree which is why it's good to have.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-20-2023, 06:20 PM)CanICode Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 06:16 PM)Pats20 Wrote:

Which would be fine if it wasn't being thrown at me AFTER I had already planned this.
Yea I agree. I noticed it changed in the catalog awhile ago. I believe someone  on here already had 2 bsba and was interested in an accounting degree. I suggested the bs accounting but I was dismissed as being incorrect. I originally was a bsba but after the change I switched to bs so I could utilize my cis credits. Maybe by default you’re not too far off from one other bsba concentrations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 3 84 Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 13 757 04-26-2024, 09:06 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Where should I get my accounting degree? mt_1994 10 269 04-25-2024, 10:10 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 639 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 571 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 428 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 392 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 354 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 308 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 671 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger