Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Freshman College Comp w/essay
I am looking for any information on the freshman college comp w/essay. Has anyone taken the exam with essay? I am trying to get an idea of how difficult the essay will be.

I have not been in school for 20 somethings years. I am the Director of Finance for the company I work for. I have been there for 5 years and now they come to me and say that I have to have a BA (preferably MBA). I have to get this degree in less than 1.5 years.

Thankfully I can test out of most of the accounting and economics courses that I will be required to take. Essay writing worries me though. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Moms going back to school
I didn't take the Freshman Comp with Essay test, but took Excelsior's College Writing test instead. I hadn't been in school for well over 20 years, nor had I done any essay writing. I did have a lot of experience writing reports, developing training materials and other business-related writing. If possible, I'd recommend that you take the College Writing test to fulfill your Written English Requirement, only because you get to use the My Access writing tool, which gives you instant feedback on your writing results. You can have a lot of control in determining where you're at as far as your readiness to take the test is concerned. As anyone who has tested out for a course can tell you, the practice tests are indispensable, and that's what the My Access tool is, essentially.
The college I am going to will only accept the Clep Freshman Comp w/essay or their essay exam. I thought I would have a better chance with the Clep exam if I could get information on it.

Everyone, that I have spoke to about the college's essay exam, says that it is too difficult to pass unless you are an English major (which I am not by any means).

Thanks for the information.
The Cracking the CLEP book has a good little section on writing an essay for the English Comp exam. It even includes a template you can follow.

As long as you follow a few general rules and lay out your essay so that it's organized and easy to understand, you don't have to be a great writer to pass it.

Good luck!
--
Steve
Webmaster, InstantCert.com
I used IC along with this book: CLEP Freshman College Composition: The Best Test Prep for the CLEP with CDROM - Wal-Mart
to pass the Freshman College Comp w/o essay. I could have scored higher, but I only studied for 5 days.

I have it available with the CD for less $$$ if you are interested.
This includes two electronic practice tests that are very helpful.

Email me if interested.

shawn@villaireinc.com
U of P BSIT in the final works!

44 Credits Community College
66 Credits University of Phoenix

Tests Passed:
CLEP Freshman College Composition - 58
DANTES - Ethics in America - 59
DANTES: Here's To Your Health - 54
CLEP: Human Growth and Development - 65

Test Remaining:
None!!!
I took this test about a month ago, and it was fairly easy. I studied for about a week, and relied on my experience. I could have scored better, but a pass is a pass.
mom2school Wrote:Everyone, that I have spoken to about the college's essay exam, says that it is too difficult to pass unless you are an English major...

I am preparing for this test also, from what I have read you have to study up on the grammar and sentence structure rules.

If you can read and write in English, the essay should not be too much trouble just make sure you do not try to write a book and include the required sections.

Essay question tips: Writing Essay Exams
Brian E

DONE with tests... yippee Cool

[SIZE="1"]CLEP
[INDENT]College Mathematics 78
English Composition (w/essay) 56
Social Sciences and History 66
[/INDENT]

DSST
[INDENT]Ethics in America 451
Here’s to Your Health 443 [/INDENT]
[/SIZE]
Thanks a bunch for the info. I was so concerned about the essay portion that I went to the school and spoke to one of the instructors. They have a program that does a pretest for the placement and it is very much like the clep essay portion. I needed to take a placement test anyway, so I asked if I could take the pretest so I would know if I just needed to enroll in the class or if I had a shot at testing out. They set me up, I tested, and I guess I was over stressing.....

On the multiple choice for the placement I made 100
On the essay pretest I made a 95

Hello Clep, here I come.
mom2school Wrote:On the multiple choice for the placement I made 100

Congratulations... sounds like you are ready to go.
Brian E

DONE with tests... yippee Cool

[SIZE="1"]CLEP
[INDENT]College Mathematics 78
English Composition (w/essay) 56
Social Sciences and History 66
[/INDENT]

DSST
[INDENT]Ethics in America 451
Here’s to Your Health 443 [/INDENT]
[/SIZE]
(01-06-2007, 12:57 AM)mom2school Wrote: Thanks a bunch for the info.  I was so concerned about the essay portion that I went to the school and spoke to one of the instructors.  They have a program that does a pretest for the placement and it is very much like the clep essay portion.  I needed to take a placement test anyway, so I asked if I could take the pretest so I would know if I just needed to enroll in the class or if I had a shot at testing out.  They set me up, I tested, and I guess I was over stressing.....

On the multiple choice for the placement  I made 100

Hello Clep, here I come.

Well done keep going in that diraction

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 151 04-26-2024, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,237 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,610 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,983 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 268 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 548 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 427 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 755 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 223 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 261 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP