Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was
People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was And When They Learned They Made A Huge Mistake

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/people-r...02576.html
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • Ares, NotJoeBiden
I like the ones taking engineering degrees and complaining that the major was not easy. This sums up so much about younger generations wanted everything handed to them, including the Manager title the day they are hired.
(02-13-2024, 11:23 PM)Ares Wrote: I like the ones taking engineering degrees and complaining that the major was not easy. This sums up so much about younger generations wanted everything handed to them, including the Manager title the day they are hired.

As someone who has an engineering degree I have to say that the younger generation has is harder than older generations. Back in the day, engineering degrees had far less units and grades were less important. In the 1980s you could be a C student with any stem degree from a small state school and easily get a well paying engineering job. Not to mention that degrees were much cheaper and had lower workloads on top of it. That isnt the case anymore.

-
Joe
-
Joe
[-] The following 4 users Like NotJoeBiden's post:
  • CatsDomino, jsd, MrPanda, rachel83az
(02-13-2024, 11:47 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: As someone who has an engineering degree I have to say that the younger generation has is harder than older generations. Back in the day, engineering degrees had far less units and grades were less important. In the 1980s you could be a C student with any stem degree from a small state school and easily get a well paying engineering job. Not to mention that degrees were much cheaper and had lower workloads on top of it. That isnt the case anymore.

Well something is seriously wrong with STEM university programs because I have hired multiple people over the past 10 years with a B.S. in Computer Science/Information Technology from established state universities and they know next to nothing about the subject, cannot handle pressure, whine about "work life balance", refuse overtime and want to be promoted after a month of doing nothing. The ones I hire with just tech certs (CompTIA, Microsoft etc...) or associate degrees in tech are still employed.

My father is an engineer and he never had a light workload in his life. Nights and weekends were common but his degrees were certainly cheaper, I will agree on that.
My Sociology degree prepared me to be.... an administrative assistant. The crazy thing is that most places I worked required a bachelor's degree for this role. That seems crazy to me. Luckily, lots of experience and natural aptitude have FINALLY gotten me into a different role. I hope that my MBA will continue to allow me more opportunities. Currently in a "regional" role, and my employer also has plenty of "national" roles.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 3 users Like Vle045's post:
  • fmsoa, NotJoeBiden, ss20ts
(02-14-2024, 02:17 AM)Ares Wrote: Well something is seriously wrong with STEM university programs because I have hired multiple people over the past 10 years with a B.S. in Computer Science/Information Technology from established state universities and they know next to nothing about the subject, cannot handle pressure, whine about "work life balance", refuse overtime and want to be promoted after a month of doing nothing. The ones I hire with just tech certs (CompTIA, Microsoft etc...) or associate degrees in tech are still employed.

My father is an engineer and he never had a light workload in his life. Nights and weekends were common but his degrees were certainly cheaper, I will agree on that.

That is a really unprofessional way to talk about your former employees. There is nothing wrong with wanting a work life balance, refusing overtime work, or even wanting a promotion. It sounds like you expect alot more from them then they are currently capable of. I wont tell you how to manage your employees, but there are many good resources on this forum on classes, certs, and degrees that likely address this very issue.
-
Joe
[-] The following 4 users Like NotJoeBiden's post:
  • MrPanda, rachel83az, ss20ts, wildebeest
(02-14-2024, 02:17 AM)Ares Wrote: Well something is seriously wrong with STEM university programs because I have hired multiple people over the past 10 years with a B.S. in Computer Science/Information Technology from established state universities and they know next to nothing about the subject, cannot handle pressure, whine about "work life balance", refuse overtime and want to be promoted after a month of doing nothing. The ones I hire with just tech certs (CompTIA, Microsoft etc...) or associate degrees in tech are still employed.

I'm Gen X and I'm not working overtime. I will not work for a company where I don't have a work/life balance. I did that when I was younger and refuse to now. Companies have shown how loyal they are to their employees - they're not at all - and employees are fed up.
[-] The following 3 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • MrPanda, NotJoeBiden, rachel83az
(02-14-2024, 10:44 AM)Vle045 Wrote: My Sociology degree prepared me to be.... an administrative assistant. The crazy thing is that most places I worked required a bachelor's degree for this role. That seems crazy to me. Luckily, lots of experience and natural aptitude have FINALLY gotten me into a different role. I hope that my MBA will continue to allow me more opportunities. Currently in a "regional" role, and my employer also has plenty of "national" roles.

Knowing what you know now, would you have majored in another field?

-
Joe
-
Joe
(02-14-2024, 11:06 AM)NotJoeBiden Wrote:
(02-14-2024, 10:44 AM)Vle045 Wrote: My Sociology degree prepared me to be.... an administrative assistant.  The crazy thing is that most places I worked required a bachelor's degree for this role.  That seems crazy to me.  Luckily, lots of experience and natural aptitude have FINALLY gotten me into a different role.  I hope that my MBA will continue to allow me more opportunities.  Currently in a "regional" role, and my employer also has plenty of "national" roles.

Knowing what you know now, would you have majored in another field?

-
Joe

Yes!  But.... I don't know how I would have figured that out back then.  I was first gen college student. I went for something that I felt I could "pass".  Computers were nothing like they are today.  I knew zero about business.  It's also why I try not to judge those who take a "gap year".  
It could be beneficial for some.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
[-] The following 3 users Like Vle045's post:
  • NotJoeBiden, rachel83az, ss20ts
(02-14-2024, 10:53 AM)NotJoeBiden Wrote:

That is a really unprofessional way to talk about your former employees. There is nothing wrong with wanting a work life balance, refusing overtime work, or even wanting a promotion. It sounds like you expect alot more from them then they are currently capable of. I wont tell you how to manage your employees, but there are many good resources on this forum on classes, certs, and degrees that likely address this very issue.

I have no sympathy for the lazy and entitled who when hired for a job, are told up front the job requirements, expectations, including hours, shifts, vacation and sick policy then try to renege on what they signed up for. Apparently no one ever told them you cannot dictate to your boss the terms of the job your are employed at. These are hourly workers who get time and a half for overtime which is mandatory (48 hours min) for a few months out of the year and they then have it easy the rest. This is definitely a generational issues which has started to appear over the last 10 years and is getting worse. I work for a billion dollar company and we have no shortage of people applying. I consistently wind up hiring more older workers because they are less likely to be lazy or entitled. My employees are managed very well and well compensated so I don't need any "resources". OT for those we keep can add up to over $20-30K to their yearly salary if they take advantage of it. Ten years ago I would have to send people home because they were working 80+ hours now some young snowflakes cannot be bothered to stay past 5 PM when we need them. These people are quickly cut loose and it is consistently Millennials and Gen Z. If most of them were not still living with their parents their attitude might change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 118 9 hours ago
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,223 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,970 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 261 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 536 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 420 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 750 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 219 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 255 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 224 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor