Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is online college easier now?
I am curious about online undergraduate college, particularly from the perspective of those who attended in person years ago and again more recently.  Are the online programs easier than college years ago - like in the 90’s or so?  I’ve taken graduate courses from a couple of schools now and the format has been pretty similar.  And it seems much easier than what I recall from my undergrad years. The big difference that I see are the capstone/cornerstones.  I never had to do anything like that.  My son is a HS junior and still has no idea what he wants to do.  Like, not even a slight clue.  He doesn’t like school, but hasn’t completely written off going to college.  He also hasn’t expressed interest in any trades either. When I talk to him about college, I don’t want to be too “out of touch” with what it’s like now.  I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has done online and in-person recently.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Difficulty is pretty subjective. The only thing I have seen with data is that grade-inflation across educational institutions has made it easier than ever for more people to achieve higher grades.

Grad classes tend to be less work than undergrad. More often you are not studying as much for tests as undergrad and instead are mostly working on applying knowledge to projects or reports or a final thesis.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
-
Joe
(02-21-2024, 07:40 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I am curious about online undergraduate college, particularly from the perspective of those who attended in person years ago and again more recently.  Are the online programs easier than college years ago - like in the 90’s or so?  I’ve taken graduate courses from a couple of schools now and the format has been pretty similar.  And it seems much easier than what I recall from my undergrad years. The big difference that I see are the capstone/cornerstones.  I never had to do anything like that.  My son is a HS junior and still has no idea what he wants to do.  Like, not even a slight clue.  He doesn’t like school, but hasn’t completely written off going to college.  He also hasn’t expressed interest in any trades either. When I talk to him about college, I don’t want to be too “out of touch” with what it’s like now.  I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has done online and in-person recently.

I have found courses much easier today than they were in the 90's. There's far less reading and coursework overall. Exams and tests are often open book or open notes today. I never had that back then. Even some grad courses I've taken I've been surprised at the level of work involved - definitely didn't feel grad level.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • fmsoa, ltw900rr
Classes now are much easier, quicker, simpler than before, way back when, there were correspondence schools, everything was done with snail mail and video recordings, cassette tapes, physical text books, and the whole nine yards. Having said that, it's the medium that has changed, mostly the same subject information, but placed online instead of print/video recordings. Subject matter also depends on the student previous knowledge, class content seems easier, shorter, and there are so many more resources online to help students...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • ctcarl, fmsoa
Before, if you were, say, a Jeopardy champion, those people were considered the smartest people. 

Today, intelligence is a commodity.

There is a lot of grade inflation that makes college easier than it was in the past.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(02-21-2024, 07:57 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Before, if you were, say, a Jeopardy champion, those people were considered the smartest people. 

Today, intelligence is a commodity.

There is a lot of grade inflation that makes college easier than it was in the past.

What does intelligence have to do with how easy college is?

-
Joe
-
Joe
(02-21-2024, 12:56 PM)NotJoeBiden Wrote: Difficulty is pretty subjective. The only thing I have seen with data is that grade-inflation across educational institutions has made it easier than ever for more people to achieve higher grades.

Grad classes tend to be less work than undergrad.  More often you are not studying as much for tests as undergrad and instead are mostly working on applying knowledge to projects or reports or a final thesis.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

I've wondered about grade-inflation and how much of that is going on.   And that's a good point about applying knowledge to projects.

(02-21-2024, 01:57 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I have found courses much easier today than they were in the 90's. There's far less reading and coursework overall. Exams and tests are often open book or open notes today. I never had that back then. Even some grad courses I've taken I've been surprised at the level of work involved - definitely didn't feel grad level.

Interesting thing about open book/open notes.  On the one hand, we all have the internet at our fingertips now.  For some types of work, you could definitely figure things out as you go along - to an extent.  Although, back when I decided to get a paralegal certificate, I felt like my classes were too easy since everything was open book and I got straight A's.  So I switched schools where the work was harder and I had decent grades, but not straight A.

(02-21-2024, 02:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Classes now are much easier, quicker, simpler than before, way back when, there were correspondence schools, everything was done with snail mail and video recordings, cassette tapes, physical text books, and the whole nine yards.  Having said that, it's the medium that has changed, mostly the same subject information, but placed online instead of print/video recordings.  Subject matter also depends on the student previous knowledge, class content seems easier, shorter, and there are so many more resources online to help students...

The resources and delivery are definitely different.  I think I was on the very end of a time where we had microfiche for research.  I remember having email and some sort of very basic online access, but nothing even close to what we have now.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
I graduated last year, getting a bachelors degree from a state school (a SEC school), and now currently working on an online masters, and applying to a new masters for later this year.

From my perspective, both in person and online classes can be hard or easy. At my SEC school, there was no grade inflation, you studied or studied... I had tons of Cs, Bs and so on. That is probably something that happens at the very top of the list, more into the Ivy category I assume. Most of my friends preferred online classes, but I had no preference.

Now, doing my online masters, I can tell that doing it all online is way easier, in my opinion than in person. But I am also at a different school, so that may be the reason.

Basically: no real difference. In person you do get the in person challenges that may be important in life, and I really appreciate that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mancheseter24's post:
  • NotJoeBiden
(02-21-2024, 07:40 AM)Vle045 Wrote: I am curious about online undergraduate college, particularly from the perspective of those who attended in person years ago and again more recently.  Are the online programs easier than college years ago - like in the 90’s or so?  I’ve taken graduate courses from a couple of schools now and the format has been pretty similar.  And it seems much easier than what I recall from my undergrad years. The big difference that I see are the capstone/cornerstones.  I never had to do anything like that.  My son is a HS junior and still has no idea what he wants to do.  Like, not even a slight clue.  He doesn’t like school, but hasn’t completely written off going to college.  He also hasn’t expressed interest in any trades either. When I talk to him about college, I don’t want to be too “out of touch” with what it’s like now.  I would also be interested to hear from anyone who has done online and in-person recently.
Yes,  much easier. The CBE programs like UMPI were ridiculously easier
[-] The following 1 user Likes Duneranger's post:
  • ss20ts
It really depends on the student and on the class. My ex's in-person college work in the 90s from what I remember seemed much more rigorous than anything I've experienced in the modern erea.

My high school teachers always gaslit us with horror stories about how hard college supposedly was and how we were not nearly prepared for the amount of work it would take to even pass English Lit 101. "You'll have to read Chaucer for 6 hours every day just to make a B! You have NO IDEA what you're in store for!"

I've taken probably 15 credit hours worth of lit. I hold an English degree. Never had to reach Chaucer once. To this day I don't know if they were just gassing us up or if the rigor of my HS teachers really was significantly harder back in their day. The truth may be somewhere in the middle.

But I remember high school being more actual writing/homework/labor than any college class I've taken. My significant other did undergrad before there was such a thing as Google Docs and was FURIOUS that I could just write into an APA or MLA template and not have to manually set the margins, fiddle with other formatting at all, and can just use bibliography citation generator plugins. All of which they had to do manually in Microsoft Word at the time they were in community college.

I suspect think in the really broad, high-level view, college education has probably gotten significantly less rigorous over the last several decades.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 28 5,954 Yesterday, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK LevelUP 3 139 Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Will online degrees become worthless because of AI? blablablox 12 837 04-20-2024, 03:28 PM
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 298 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 434 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
  Biochemistry online, no lab, and less than $500. GoodYellowDogs 11 10,446 03-20-2024, 04:16 PM
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 2 352 03-20-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 782 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,816 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 422 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader