Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashtrack Course - War & American Society
I opted to take TESC Flashtrack Course for War & American Society instead of on-line or guided study. This was my experience.
I received the Flashtrack drive one week after the course began although I registered for the course one week before the late registration deadline kicked in. I had to call them.
Once the flashdrive arrived, I discovered it served no real purpose because there is nothing on the drive about the course other than a syllabus, study modules which are VERY basic and an outdated calendar all of which could easily be emailed to you. There are program files on the drive, however, my computer already had those programs installed.
There is absolutely no communication with a mentor or anyone. You are on your own. The calendar shows that a Mid-term is required at week 5-6, but in reality, there is no mid-term. You are required to send in a Proctor form within the first week of the class beginning, however, when I called to tell the testing center I hadn't yet received the flashdrive I was told not to worry about that because the course only had a Final exam.
The Information Section on the drive said the Final Exam had a time limit of 3 hours, however, when I went to take the test (today), the time limit was only 2 hours!
The test comprised of TrueFalse, Fill-in Blank and Five (5) Essay questions. The essay questions were verbose, multi-focused problem statements with a suggested length of 75-100 words (Impossible to attain). The essays are 10 points each.
The test is not computer-based. Everything must be handwritten in INK (I wrote in pencil & went back and overwrote in ink - I didn't finish before time was up).
The test directions are truly ambiguous. You're directed to print your answer on the blank line at the end of the sentence, however the blank line is not at the end of the sentence, it's in the middle, beginning, etc. - So are you supposed to print the answer on the blank line in the middle of the sentence or on the blank line under the statement that separates the two questions? I chose to do both.
I found the 5 essays merciless, although I had been practicing writing them. The flashdrive does devote a whole section to essays - It is all of 4 measly paragraphs long and offers no examples of essay writing. So frustrating....They should at the very least offer full examples of what they are looking for.
Overall, I would not suggest going the Flashtrack method, at least for this course - You are definitely left on your own. - Perhaps too alone, considering the cost of the course and what they are expecting from the essay portion of the test.
Hey Storyteller, thanks for the feedback on this course. I was debating between doing this as guided study or flashtrack and now I think I'm going to go with either online or guided study! Sorry to hear about your experience with it!

Horsemaniac
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
I just received the results of the test in the mail today - I wound up scoring an A-, Yay for me!! As you can tell from my earlier posting, - I was fretting over the essay portion of the test. Although I knew the information hands-down, I just didn't feel comfortable with scoring of my essays; it's so subjective. At least in my mind...
The test took 3 weeks to be graded, although I didn't receive snail-mail confirmation for almost another week. The clue to finding out your grade is to log into the Student Services section and clicking on GRADES. It dawned on me that my grade would be posted before I got hardcopy confirmation and I was right.
What is great is at the same time the grade is posted, credit hours are added to the evaluation. I was thrilled when I saw those six credits added to my evaluation for a total of 120! Yippee!!!
After all the stress of waiting for the results of the test and beating myself up over the essay portion, I am soooooo glad I took the Flashtrack course. It gave me control over the entire process. I studied at my own pace, I didn't have to take any mid-term exams, and I took the Final Exam seven weeks ahead of the scheduled date.
This will enable me to graduate (if all goes well with TESC auditing) in December 2011 as opposed to March 2012.
Is that cool or what???
Nice work, congrats on the "A". I don't know how you could stand the wait...I'm totally spoiled by the instant feedback of a DSST or Straighterline.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Storyteller,

Congratulations, Great job! Good to hear they actually grade the flashtrack course instead of just awarding CR! :hurray:

I still think I would advise the GS or OL for this course. I actually dislike american history (dry & boring) but found this course to be very interesting because it was taught from a social pov. It was very informative and the same amount of work (possibly less) than most 3 credit courses. 75-100 words per essay is actually a blessing and would be considered a short answer elsewhere. BTW, although you have weekly written assignments and the midterm, the GS course is just you and the mentor. And you learn quickly exactly what the mentor expects and are able to adjust accordingly. Just my .02 cents.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
TESC still only awards credit for the Flashtrack courses. The grade appeared on the scoring card that I received from the mentor - it was a numerical 92 & I converted it to A- based on TESC's standards.
All that appears as a grade is: CR; therefore it has no effect on the GPA. I knew that going in...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 55 7,518 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  The American Dream Academy Closing 4/30 Questions SophiaPrincess 14 916 05-08-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,896 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  European-American University Degree Mill elcastor21 21 2,597 11-08-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Johann
  Are alternative credits only an American thing? mojave 24 2,340 09-08-2023, 04:14 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  American Dream Academy Course Limit? vintage_jacket 13 4,479 02-16-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  National Trends in Grade Inflation for American Colleges LevelUP 1 524 09-21-2022, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Courcelles
  Most underemployed majors according to the U.S. Census American Community Survey sanantone 33 3,000 09-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Latin American University Rankings Alpha 0 437 07-14-2022, 07:41 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  California Southern acquired by American InterContinental bjcheung77 0 670 07-06-2022, 09:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77