Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does CUNY SPS allow transfer credits after enrollment?
Does anyone know if CUNY SPS allows this?
(09-03-2023, 01:43 PM)MyRightHandIsBi Wrote: Does anyone know if CUNY SPS allows this?

https://sps.cuny.edu/admissions/undergra...fer-credit

I don't see anything on the page about transfer credit, but they do say to contact them if you have transfer questions and they provide an email address. Send them an email and ask.
(09-03-2023, 02:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-03-2023, 01:43 PM)MyRightHandIsBi Wrote: Does anyone know if CUNY SPS allows this?

I don't see anything on the page about transfer credit, but they do say to contact them if you have transfer questions and they provide an email address. Send them an email and ask.

It's best to get the answer directly from the institution as we don't have many students here that have gone to CUNY SPS... If I had to hazard an educated guess, they should allow credits even after you have enrolled, as their programs are geared for the adult student that has alternative options through exams, transfer credit, etc, all the way to 105 credits, they just need the 15 credit residency.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-03-2023, 09:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
(09-03-2023, 02:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

It's best to get the answer directly from the institution as we don't have many students here that have gone to CUNY SPS... If I had to hazard an educated guess, they should allow credits even after you have enrolled, as their programs are geared for the adult student that has alternative options through exams, transfer credit, etc, all the way to 105 credits, they just need the 15 credit residency.
The answer is apparently yes. I'm not going to respond to them until I test out. I really, really don't want to do BUS 325, principles of mgmt info sys. The options for this class are listed on the bottom of this page. https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/credit-pr...xamination

I would be grateful if you or someone else could tell me the feasibility of testing out in a day or two. Which option is best to start with?
(09-05-2023, 12:16 PM)MyRightHandIsBi Wrote: The answer is apparently yes. I'm not going to respond to them until I test out. I really, really don't want to do BUS 325, principles of mgmt info sys. The options for this class are listed on the bottom of this page. https://sps.cuny.edu/academics/credit-pr...xamination

I would be grateful if you or someone else could tell me the feasibility of testing out in a day or two. Which option is best to start with?

So, for BUS325, you've apparently got:

CLEP - Information Systems
DSST - Management Information Systems
Saylor - BUS 206: Management Information Systems

Of these, the CLEP will probably be the easiest. You can take the CLEP for free through ModernStates. However, the Saylor exam is only $5. I would spend a day or two reviewing the Saylor material, then take the exam. If you don't pass, do the CLEP exam through ModernStates.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
The easiest/cheapest is to take the Modern States course, get the free voucher, and then take the CLEP.

I took that CLEP myself and found it pretty easy. From start to finish, I was done in 5 hours. If you can pass a practice exam, then you can pass the CLEP.

CUNY SPS Degree plans
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:CUNY
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • origamishuttle
Oh and for CUNY SPS, they only accept 45 credits through 'alternative methods', the other 60 credits from the 105 has to be from a community college or another university, so they'll be a good option for those who already have RA credits and can take 45 ACE/NCCRS towards their degree and the final 15 for residency purposes... the price will be very similar to TESU's flat rate at under $5K, roughly $4500.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • ss20ts
Alright an update:

I went with the suggestion from Rachel. While Modernstates is free, it said it takes a number of days to get approved for the exam, and I wanted it instantly. So I took the Saylor test and barely passed. CUNY SPS allowed me to drop the class with 50% refund since it was week 2. I sent them the Credly badge from Saylor and got credit for the class.

And yes, Bjcheung77, I have a lot of RA credits this is my first alternative credit. I thought I had credit for all the possible classes, so I definitely overpaid by about 3k. CUNY SPS is telling me that I can get alt credit until my last semester, then it's not allowed, so it looks like I am going to try and test out of the stats class I have coming up. I decided to keep my accounting and operations management classes because I actually like them and want to learn the material.

Thank you so much for the advice and for contributing here. Theres far more people who will learn from this site than will ever post.
[-] The following 3 users Like MyRightHandIsBi's post:
  • davewill, jg_nuy, origamishuttle
Paying 50% + $5 for the Saylor exam isn't bad at all for a class you previously thought you'd have to pay full price for. Big Grin
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jg_nuy, origamishuttle
I'm a pretty happy camper. I'm just as happy about the saved time and headache from that class too. I could tell I was gonna have a bad time. This place has completely upended how I view college education, I need to make choices that work for me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MyRightHandIsBi's post:
  • davewill

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PUG IT transfer credits BritStudent 2 260 02-22-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Schools that accept ACE credits and allow 90cr in transfer bjcheung77 87 41,003 01-30-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: inor
  TAMUC Org Leadership-six UL credits needed StoicJ 20 2,606 12-13-2023, 09:11 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  List of RA brick and mortar schools that accept 75% of credits from SDC, Sophia, SL ausernameisneeded 19 1,985 09-30-2023, 02:30 PM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,125 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Does Ana G. Mendez University accept ACE credits ande 7 719 07-11-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  (Possibly) cheapest credits for TESU Comp Sci degree rachel83az 11 3,187 01-29-2023, 10:53 PM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  UoPeople Certificate program transfer courses? MNomadic 5 1,668 12-13-2022, 10:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TEL Learning - your new best friend (cheap RA credits) dfrecore 107 19,234 10-17-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: CanICode
  Olivet YourWay, How to get RA Credits Antonella 14 2,141 10-16-2022, 06:53 AM
Last Post: rachel83az