Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS
Hello everyone,

I've been following the Wiki plan for UMPI BLS MIS, and I have done all my Sophia credits. I just have to take 3 more courses on Study.com and I'm ready for UMPI.

However, I've worked as a software developer for over a year, so I'm considering a BSCS or BSIT now, because, despite of not being my main goal at the moment,  I plan to get a MSCS or MSIT in the future.

A lot of the colleges we discuss about here have gotten my attention, but there's always a talk about how SNHU isn't taking Sophia as they used to, or TESU having a limit for alternative credits, or PUG wants you to have 3 years of field experience, etc... not to mention UMass has very little information out there.

Since I might be wrong about everything I just wrote, I'm 110% open to suggestions.

It'd be nice to hear from you, so here's my info:

What kind of degree do you want?: BS in Computer Science or Information Technology, really any BS in technology would do.
I'm almost ready for UMPI BLS MIS, but want to explore the BS in tech options before I apply to UMPI.

RA Credits: None

Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits:

All Sophia Credits:
  • Art History I
  • Business Law
  • Conflict Resolution
  • Critical Thinking
  • Developing Effective Teams
  • English Composition I
  • English Composition II
  • Environmental Science
  • Financial Accounting
  • Human Biology
  • Human Biology Lab
  • Introduction to Business
  • Introduction to Chemistry
  • Introduction to College Mathematics
  • Introduction to Ethics
  • Introduction to Information Technology
  • Introduction to Nutrition
  • Introduction to Sociology
  • Introduction to Statistics
  • Introduction to Web Development
  • Macroeconomics
  • Microeconomics
  • Principles of Finance
  • Project Management
  • U.S. Government
  • U.S. History I
  • Visual Communications
Any certifications or military experience? No

Budget: Cost is my biggest concern because of the high currency exchange rate. For UMPI I know I'm going to pay around $4500 or less,
so anything around $7000 for a BSCS or BSIT will make me happy.

Commitments: I work full-time from home and my schedule is really flexible. No wife and kids.

Dedicated time to study: 3-4 hours on weekdays, and all day on weekends.

Timeline: If taking more time makes the degree cheaper than I'd say 2 years won't be a problem, otherwise I'd rather graduate faster.

Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No
One option to consider is completing the UMPI degree as planned, then go for TESU BACS as a second degree. I think I only had to complete ten new courses, and I was able to skip the cornerstone, so I just took the liberal arts capstone at TESU and paid the residency waiver fee.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
(02-27-2024, 10:53 AM)origamishuttle Wrote: One option to consider is completing the UMPI degree as planned, then go for TESU BACS as a second degree. I think I only had to complete ten new courses, and I was able to skip the cornerstone, so I just took the liberal arts capstone at TESU and paid the residency waiver fee.

Right! That sounds a great plan! Do you know how much I'd end up paying in total at TESU and how long it could take?
(02-27-2024, 10:59 AM)cvieira Wrote: Right! That sounds a great plan! Do you know how much I'd end up paying in total at TESU and how long it could take?

You can review this plan to get an idea of what will be required for the AOS and AOS electives: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan

Assuming you transfer everything else from Sophia/Study.com/Saylor in as little as 5 weeks for less than $1,000, and you only take the capstone at TESU over the course of 12 weeks and pay the residency waiver fee, then you can fulfill all the requirements and apply for graduation in less than six months for somewhere around $6,000 total (including the cost of transfer courses). Keep in mind these are bare minimum timelines.

One more thing to be aware of - your UMPI degree conferral date must be before the completion date of at least seven of the courses you transfer to TESU for the BACS: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...es-policy/
That can make timing a bit tricky if you're trying to go as quickly as possible.
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
@cvieira, that's a good addendum and template that was missing in your previous thread, there are so many ways to get to a specific goal, you want to see which pathway is of least resistance and gets the most ROI/Value, it's not necessarily always going the cheap, easy, fast route, sometimes you need to personalize it to your liking, a balanced mix/match of the trifecta, certs, degree, experience. I think the UMPI BLS with MIS and PM minors would work for you or the BABA PM & IS concentration, then you can ladder into an Applied Science Masters I mentioned in your previous thread. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-following
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
Here's the link to the thread with direct links to the other threads you mentioned:
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid390874
Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • cvieira
(02-27-2024, 11:17 AM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 10:59 AM)cvieira Wrote: Right! That sounds a great plan! Do you know how much I'd end up paying in total at TESU and how long it could take?

You can review this plan to get an idea of what will be required for the AOS and AOS electives: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan

Assuming you transfer everything else from Sophia/Study.com/Saylor in as little as 5 weeks for less than $1,000, and you only take the capstone at TESU over the course of 12 weeks and pay the residency waiver fee, then you can fulfill all the requirements and apply for graduation in less than six months for somewhere around $6,000 total (including the cost of transfer courses). Keep in mind these are bare minimum timelines.

One more thing to be aware of - your UMPI degree conferral date must be before the completion date of at least seven of the courses you transfer to TESU for the BACS: https://tesu.smartcatalogiq.com/en/curre...es-policy/
That can make timing a bit tricky if you're trying to go as quickly as possible.

Thank you so much for all the information you shared, I guess no one could explain it any better!

(02-27-2024, 11:48 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @cvieira, that's a good addendum and template that was missing in your previous thread, there are so many ways to get to a specific goal, you want to see which pathway is of least resistance and gets the most ROI/Value, it's not necessarily always going the cheap, easy, fast route, sometimes you need to personalize it to your liking, a balanced mix/match of the trifecta, certs, degree, experience.  I think the UMPI BLS with MIS and PM minors would work for you or the BABA PM & IS concentration, then you can ladder into an Applied Science Masters I mentioned in your previous thread. https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-following

Thank you again @bjcheung77 always very helpful. I will have to look into all the info you guys gave me, and then take action. Starting this thread was definitely the best thing I did today.
(02-27-2024, 12:11 PM)cvieira Wrote: Thank you so much for all the information you shared, I guess no one could explain it any better!

Thanks, although what I wrote is just a quick overview of one of the simpler paths to a second degree at TESU. There are lots of nuances and rules that you'll want to research, and there are decisions and strategies you need to make based on what may or may not work best for you. Best of luck!
(02-27-2024, 12:19 PM)origamishuttle Wrote:
(02-27-2024, 12:11 PM)cvieira Wrote: Thank you so much for all the information you shared, I guess no one could explain it any better!

Thanks, although what I wrote is just a quick overview of one of the simpler paths to a second degree at TESU. There are lots of nuances and rules that you'll want to research, and there are decisions and strategies you need to make based on what may or may not work best for you. Best of luck!

Yes, I will read more posts and search a little more around these options. Just having something to start is a great advantage
(02-27-2024, 10:53 AM)origamishuttle Wrote: One option to consider is completing the UMPI degree as planned, then go for TESU BACS as a second degree. I think I only had to complete ten new courses, and I was able to skip the cornerstone, so I just took the liberal arts capstone at TESU and paid the residency waiver fee.
Hey I was wondering what courses you had to take of the ten? Was it all CS AOS? Just curious because I applied for the TESU BS CIS, got in, but my first degree didn’t end up covering as much of the degree as I thought it would. I think it was like 70%(have to double check). But there was a decent amount of courses in both the CS and Business AOS’s I still had to complete. I’m thinking about switching over to the BACS, you think my degree will cover more in that program? I ask because you seem to know a lot about 2nd degree transfers to TESU. I appreciate any advice! Thank you!
UMPI: Bachelor of Arts in History and Political Science 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 951 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses from the Big Three: COSC, TESU, & Excelsior jsh1138 25 39,641 10-22-2023, 06:02 PM
Last Post: jch
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 1,768 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 399 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,194 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  SNHU new gen ed requirements jdubley 63 6,420 08-20-2023, 07:22 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 1,961 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,132 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Illinois Institue of Technology - Coursera (Illinois Tech IIT) bext 1 906 07-12-2023, 02:35 AM
Big Grin Degree Plan for SNHU BSCS AND/OR TESU BACS Request suzycupcake 10 1,365 06-24-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts