Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs
As far as I am aware is required to have a science course at COSC with a lab.

My question is then: Does the new courses of Sophia Microbiology + micro lab, Human Bio+bio lab or chemistry+chem lab fulfill this requirement?
None of the labs are known to work: https://charteroak.sophia.org/

The more difficult/expensive part of COSC is getting the UL credit necessary. There are only 4 SDC courses that COSC counts as being UL: https://study.com/college/school/charter...llege.html They don't take Coopersmith either, last I checked.

Excelsior, UMPI, and even TESU would be cheaper/easier than COSC at this point for a student who doesn't already have the UL credits from an RA school.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Kab, origamishuttle
I finished my biology course with Sophia and met the lab requirement using StraighterLine. It's smart to contact your advisor for confirmation. As Rachel mentioned, acquiring ULs (upper-level courses) can be challenging at COSC. There is now a minimum grade requirement for SDC courses and you must complete most of your ULs before enrolling in the capstone course.
In-progress/Upcoming:
South College - EDD - Higher Education
Southern Utah University - MM - Music Technology

Certs: ComptiaA+, SAS Data Scientist

Completed:
WGU - MS - Curriculum and Instruction, 2024
Thomas Edison State University - BA - Liberal Studies, 2023
Charter Oak State College - AA - General Studies, 2021

Certs: Google IT Support
[-] The following 2 users Like WALLACEMC11's post:
  • Kab, origamishuttle
Thanks @rachel83az and @WALLACEM11 for the info. I had hope that for some reason they had widen their transfer politic and accepted some of the new Sophia credits. You know:"Hope is the last thing to get lost"...

I just found that Gateway Education also has some courses that they say are accepted by COSC and also have labs. But I could not find them in the COSC agreement. So... I do not really know.
for curiosity here is the page: https://store.gatewayeducation.com/courses-2/
I hope it can help anyone that want to go to COSC.
(06-23-2023, 09:07 AM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: I finished my biology course with Sophia and met the lab requirement using StraighterLine. It's smart to contact your advisor for confirmation. As Rachel mentioned, acquiring ULs (upper-level courses) can be challenging at COSC. There is now a minimum grade requirement for SDC courses and you must complete most of your ULs before enrolling in the capstone course.

Just for reference for others...when did you transfer this into COSC? Interesting that they accepted a science course from Sophia and the lab from StraighterLine. Seems like many schools require the lab to be completed with the course so it's pretty cool that COSC accepted them split up.
(06-23-2023, 12:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 09:07 AM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: Seems like many schools require the lab to be completed with the course so it's pretty cool that COSC accepted them split up.

I remember, before I figured out that COSC had way too many ridiculous policies, talking to their advisor and having him tell me that they had a single credit standalone lab course I could do to meet their requirement.

There is a glimmer of hope that COSC might eventually get its head out of its ass. About 4 months ago, I got invited to a focus group with other COSC applicants that ultimately went somewhere else, and the purpose of the focus group was to ask us what made us choose a different school. About 4 out of 6 of us on that zoom group all said, in so many words, their ridiculous restrictions on transfer credit, refusal to take most alt credit, the one woman in admissions who was completely non responsive ( several of us got stuck with her), and similar factors. Apparently COSC is trying to figure out why no one wants to go there.
[-] The following 3 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az, ss20ts
Two more things to remember about Charter Oak's reforms:

COSC would immediately become much more appealing again for alt-credit users if an existing or future low-cost alt-credit provider simply got a sufficient number of degree plan applicable, upper level courses approved by COSC.

COSC would immediately become much more appealing again for alt-credit users if an RA school simply released a sufficient number of degree plan applicable, upper level courses that it offered with RA credit but alt-credit-like low pricing, and there are direct precedents like ASU Universal Learner and the late lamented ONU Your Way.
@Studyingfortest thanks for your information about COSC. Give me hope they will change even when it is not so difficult to figure what goes wrong... You describe it pretty well in your last post (and many other people in innumerable prior posts).
I guess they do not read the post in here or anything similar or simply they developed an allergy to change and adaptation. I really liked the school and was one of the first ones I found when still the logo was in green. I'm looking into it again for my daughter but appears that I have to keep the hopes down.
I decided to jump in too late and now is not navigable anymore until they apply many changes... which you summarized very well before.
Here are their provider agreements: https://www.charteroak.edu/cpl/credit-for-courses.php
An example is, if someone wants to get RA credit (24 of them), they can do the Lower Level TECEPS for the price
And then complete the max of these lower level and upper level for a BGS with a concentration or minor
Note: There aren't enough upper level from these providers alone, you can probably decide to TECEP UL instead
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(06-23-2023, 12:19 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-23-2023, 09:07 AM)WALLACEMC11 Wrote: I finished my biology course with Sophia and met the lab requirement using StraighterLine. It's smart to contact your advisor for confirmation. As Rachel mentioned, acquiring ULs (upper-level courses) can be challenging at COSC. There is now a minimum grade requirement for SDC courses and you must complete most of your ULs before enrolling in the capstone course.

Just for reference for others...when did you transfer this into COSC? Interesting that they accepted a science course from Sophia and the lab from StraighterLine. Seems like many schools require the lab to be completed with the course so it's pretty cool that COSC accepted them split up.

UMPI is the only school that we discuss on here that has that requirement.  TESU will allow a lab science to be done separately from the course (like on a BS degree where they require Chem I & II + labs or Physics I & II + labs, they can all be from anywhere as long as they fit the requirements).  Excelsior doesn't have a lab science requirement.  COSC has always allowed a lab science to be from somewhere other than where the course was taken.  WGU doesn't care on their lab requirement.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 3,165 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,915 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 797 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,444 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,121 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,928 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,308 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,938 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,688 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,612 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab