Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
COSC DEI requirements
Is there anyone who has found a way to test out of the DEI requirement? Or the INV one other than the TECEP exam?
Because it's all but impossible to get a COSC Bachelor's degree (cheaply) these days, nobody has shown an interest in COSC lately. If you're just going for an Associate degree, there may still be cheaper/easier options available.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(08-18-2023, 03:35 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Because it's all but impossible to get a COSC Bachelor's degree (cheaply) these days, nobody has shown an interest in COSC lately. If you're just going for an Associate degree, there may still be cheaper/easier options available.
What do you recommend? I have calculated that even if I had to take the DEI thru COSC it would still be cheaper than TESU with the $3,300 residency waiver. 

It's also for a 16 year old, so a lot of other options are out. 

I realize that COSC used to be way better, but I'm not finding other great options. I would apprecoate any other perspectives.
In mi opinion it is not only the DEI.
It is that they accept a very reduced list of credits from some of the providers mostly used here. Others providers are not accepted.You need upper level credits that you cannot get cheap. The RA requirements etc. Is a combination of factors.
I would love that work with them, but each time they introduce new changes forcing a reduction of options and favoring their own courses. If you find a way to make it work, please comment it.
(08-18-2023, 10:51 AM)Kab Wrote: In mi opinion it is not only the DEI.
It is that they accept a very reduced list of credits from some of the providers mostly used here. Others providers are not accepted.You need upper level credits that you cannot get cheap. The RA requirements etc. Is a combination of factors.
I would love that work with them, but each time they introduce new changes forcing a reduction of options and favoring their own courses. If you find a way to make it work, please comment it.
What would be your top recommendation for a 16yo?

He has 4x DSST plus 6x CLEP plus 3x university in Canada courses. 

I'm thinking of just helping him do the AA because he is homeschooled and this will give him something (because in Canada you do not get a diploma for home schooling).

But it's the DEI and INV that are now giving me grief! Stupid changes!!! Angry
If it's for a 16 year old, you might want to look into the options offered by TEL Learning. I think he wouldn't be able to use his DSST/CLEP exams, but it's possible to get an entire degree for $4k. https://degrees.tellearning.org/

If he likes CLEP exams, I'm not sure if they accept DSSTs but Waubonsee is another option. https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/As...ty_College
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(08-18-2023, 11:14 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If it's for a 16 year old, you might want to look into the options offered by TEL Learning.

But not if the destination is Charter Oak. From Charter Oak's Credit for Courses page:

Quote:Charter Oak State College will also not accept credit in transfer for online self-paced courses originating from TEL Learning, even if the credit is transcripted by one of their Regionally Accredited College Partners. TEL Learning is a non-collegiate course provider and is subject to the Charter Oak Non-Collegiate course provider agreement policy for alternative educational providers. Because Charter Oak does not have an agreement with TEL Learning, credits earned via their platform are not transferable.
(08-18-2023, 11:16 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote:
(08-18-2023, 11:14 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If it's for a 16 year old, you might want to look into the options offered by TEL Learning.

But not if the destination is Charter Oak. From Charter Oak's Credit for Courses page:

Quote:Charter Oak State College will also not accept credit in transfer for online self-paced courses originating from TEL Learning, even if the credit is transcripted by one of their Regionally Accredited College Partners. TEL Learning is a non-collegiate course provider and is subject to the Charter Oak Non-Collegiate course provider agreement policy for alternative educational providers. Because Charter Oak does not have an agreement with TEL Learning, credits earned via their platform are not transferable.

Well, no. This would be for the ENTIRE degree, not courses to send to COSC.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
I'm assuming you don't need an AA at 16 if you're homeschooling? Wouldn't you still be able to graduate at 18 and get an AA then?

COSC is still the cheapest for an AA, so if you REALLY wanted a degree there for whatever reason, you could get one. You'll just have to figure out the DEI (or DIE as I like to call it) requirement, and see what's out there at a decent price. I'd definitely ask about the ASU UL courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-18-2023, 12:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I'm assuming you don't need an AA at 16 if you're homeschooling?  Wouldn't you still be able to graduate at 18 and get an AA then?

COSC is still the cheapest for an AA, so if you REALLY wanted a degree there for whatever reason, you could get one.  You'll just have to figure out the DEI (or DIE as I like to call it) requirement, and see what's out there at a decent price.  I'd definitely ask about the ASU UL courses.
In Canada if you homeschool high school, you just say something oblique like "I completed high school" because you will never get a diploma. The AA would be a way to point to some education for employers without getting into the details of homeschooling (which most people don't understand).

Also for law school here, you only need 2 yrs or post-secondary and a strong LSAT. But he's thinking of trade school for a few years anyway.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 3,173 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,915 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 798 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,446 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,367 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,934 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,309 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,940 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,690 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Does Cosc waive GE for second degrees or needs to be met? Kab 7 1,614 02-10-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Kab