Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CLEP, English Comp and freshman college comp...
I was just wondering if the English Composition CLEP test and the Freshman College Composition CLEP test are similar. I'm assuming the Fresh Comp is easier but how much? Just would like some tips for the test too I'm kinda' new. Thanks!
dmcclure Wrote:I was just wondering if the English Composition CLEP test and the Freshman College Composition CLEP test are similar. I'm assuming the Fresh Comp is easier but how much? Just would like some tips for the test too I'm kinda' new. Thanks!

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]I have taken the English Composition with Essay exam. It was my very first CLEP, and I took it cold. It was not a terribly difficult exam. However, English is definitely my strong suit, and I passed it with only a 52. Do not underestimate this test - even if you are very strong in English.

Someone recently posted a document with CLEP and DANTES pass rates. The Freshman Composition exam has a significantly higher pass rate, so this would lead me to believe that it is the easier of the two exam titles. My college would only accept the English Composition with Essay exam, so make sure that you double-check on which title your college will accept for credit before you take either one.

Good luck![/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Here is my lineup since January 2008![/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]UP NEXT: Introductory Business Law
Biology 53 Cool
Intro to Educational Psychology 63
Principles of Marketing 65
College Algebra 60
Introductory Psychology 70
Human Growth and Development 68
Information Sys. Computer App. 48 OUCH! Sad
Introductory Sociology 66
Principles of Management 70
[B]US History II
[B]Analyzing & Interpreting Literature
54 [B][SIZE="1"]COLD[/SIZE]
English Composition with Essay 52 [SIZE="1"]COLD[/SIZE]
Plus, the 24 credits I've earned at the traditional B&M so far.
[SIZE="2"]
[COLOR="Red"]I am graduating in December of 2009!
BS in Human Resources Management
Saint Mary's University of Minnesota[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
[/B][/B][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
I have been researching this test for a few months now. Will be taking it in early December (Freshman Comp w/o essay). From my research, this is the easiest Comp. test out there. Also, this is coming from a complete "grammer moron":p. My university will except this test for my Comp. credit, but BE SURE. Contact your advisor for conformation. Break a Leg!
I'm also wondering if anyone has practiced w/ the instantcert english comp practice tests for the freshman college comp clep. Thanks again!
Freshman Comp is all multiple-choice, you don't need to do the essay. At Excelsior this does NOT meet the Written Requirement, neither CLEP exams do. Not sure what degree you're going for you may want to make sure this can be applied. The Written English requirement at Excelsior is ECE English Composition and it's 6 credits. For the Business degree only 6 credits from English can be applied. I took ECE College Writing for 3 credits to meet the Written Requirment, and got 3 credits for Freshman Comp as an elective before they got rid of College Writing.

65% of Freshman Composition is reading several paragraphs and then answering questions about it, like how does paragraph 1 relate to paragraph 3. What's the author trying to say in paragraph 2. I'm not sure there's really a way to study for that. The other part of the exam is correcting sentences and combining sentences (however, for instance, and, but...) it was pretty obvious.

It was not a hard exam, just time consuming because of all the reading/analyzing. You have 90 minutes, took me 70 minutes, but I'm a slow reader. Big Grin
CouchPotato Wrote:Freshman Comp is all multiple-choice, you don't need to do the essay. At Excelsior this does NOT meet the Written Requirement, neither CLEP exams do. Not sure what degree you're going for you may want to make sure this can be applied. The Written English requirement at Excelsior is ECE English Composition and it's 6 credits. For the Business degree only 6 credits from English can be applied. I took ECE College Writing for 3 credits to meet the Written Requirment, and got 3 credits for Freshman Comp as an elective before they got rid of College Writing.

65% of Freshman Composition is reading several paragraphs and then answering questions about it, like how does paragraph 1 relate to paragraph 3. What's the author trying to say in paragraph 2. I'm not sure there's really a way to study for that. The other part of the exam is correcting sentences and combining sentences (however, for instance, and, but...) it was pretty obvious.

It was not a hard exam, just time consuming because of all the reading/analyzing. You have 90 minutes, took me 70 minutes, but I'm a slow reader. Big Grin

The English Comp Exam that you have taken, was it with the Essay portion? Or Without?
CCAF-AS Logistics Management
CCAF-AS Bio-Environmental Science
Cerro Coso Community College-AS Administration of Justice
Excelsior College-BS Criminal Justice-2008
TESC-BA Liberal Studies-2009
2 Different Bachelor Degrees completed in under 2 years!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,724 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,989 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  'Duped': Students of UA's new online college can't get jobs, say school misled them o smartdegree 12 1,313 07-31-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 7 614 07-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  College or university isn't what it's cracked up to be... bjcheung77 3 424 07-14-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free college for "Senior citizens" jb111 6 745 07-07-2024, 06:55 PM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Next Frontier for College Sports: Cornhole Scholarships LevelUP 1 290 07-01-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 4 1,108 06-13-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 22 3,362 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Thfuriene
  It Costs Over $10 Million in Opportunity Cost to Go to College LevelUP 7 940 05-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy