Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help finding a school and degree plan
(09-24-2022, 05:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Since you want a Computer Science degree, I would not suggest UMPI. They don't currently have a Comp Sci degree. I would absolutely NOT get the Liberal Studies degree. It's not anywhere close to what you want. It won't be applicable to most AI/CS Master's degrees that you might want.

That leaves SNHU, TESU, and WGU.

WGU is okay if you're fine with taking lots of exams. Unfortunately, the biggest downside to WGU is that you don't get a GPA. All of their courses are pass/fail. This is usually not a problem, but it can be for some grad schools. If you have an idea of what grad program might interest you, whether from somewhere like Georgia Tech or elsewhere, I would contact them to see if they would be fine with a WGU degree. It's usually not a problem, but it can be and you don't want to cut yourself off from a Master's because you got the "wrong" undergrad degree.

TESU would probably accept most of what you already have. For the most affordable option, you would want to take at least 16 credits from TESU itself. (A 16-credit flat-rate term is $4778. Only taking the minimum of 6 credits at TESU costs an extra $2000+.) While most of your remaining credits would be ungraded pass/fail from Study.com & Sophia, the 16 credits at TESU combined with your previous community college credits should give you enough of an overall GPA to satisfy most grad schools. Students have definitely been accepted to good grad schools with TESU degrees.

Finally, we have SNHU. You are limited to 90 credits in transfer, the rest of which must be taken at the school. These remaining 30 credits would cost almost $10k in total. But, grading is apparently relatively easy, so you'd have a really nice GPA to show to prospective grad schools. Unfortunately, you can't accelerate SNHU, so it'd take another 1-2 years to complete those 30 credits. This is probably not what you want.

We have degree plans available for all 3 schools, if you want to take a look.
WGU: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:WGU
TESU: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ts_Roadmap
SNHU: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:SNHU

Whatever you do, stop taking courses that overlap. I see you have Calculus I listed twice. Don't take English Comp or Algebra again, you already have it.

I started taking Calculus again because I took that in 2008! I know WGU said they would not accept it, so I took it again at Sophia. If SNHU or TESU will take old credits like that, then, that would make things faster and easier. It took me 21 days to get through calculus again!
I appreciate the TESU and SNHU info! If I get the job, it might be that SNHU would be a better option. Yes, I had been checking out that Georgia Tech masters degree!

I have a lot to think about and more research to do! I'm starting to lean away from WGU.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Help finding a school and degree plan - by bleedingpurple - 09-24-2022, 10:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan pedroso91 4 110 9 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pursuing CS Degree at 33 - starting from 0 MrPokey 14 817 10-25-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 15 1,267 10-24-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  UoPeople to UMPI - Seeking Advice on Completing Bachelor’s Degree Robotik 3 213 10-21-2024, 12:50 PM
  Degree plan advice - Impossible to realize hakjack 9 487 10-20-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 13 933 10-20-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  My UMPI accounting plan - tear it apart please drpaf 5 285 10-18-2024, 01:08 PM
  Please help for degree planning zyczycccc 5 360 10-17-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: zyczycccc
  Breaking Into Sales - Help With Getting a Bachelor’s Degree (Most Likely Business Adm AccountingForThis 8 356 10-17-2024, 01:15 PM
  Please help for degree planning Rabbitbunny 7 363 10-15-2024, 07:50 PM