Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Most underemployed majors according to the U.S. Census American Community Survey
#14
(08-29-2022, 12:23 PM)nomaduser Wrote: It's very obvious now.

If you want to get a job, get one of these degrees:

1. Computer Science, Data Science
2. Information Systems / IT / Information Science
3. Engineering
4. Medical
5. Business Administration (top universities only)
6. Law (top universities only)

Other majors will suffer greatly unless they're lucky.
It could be that other majors were created to torture your life and steal your money.

95% of people should go to college to get these "employable" degrees.
95% of people shouldn't go to college to get other degrees that make them unemployable.
The problem with your argument is that a number of the fields you referenced actually have the most UNEMPLOYED people of any degree fields. CS, Info Systems, Math, and General/Misc engineering all have around 5% unemployment. 

I have actually had to purposely avoid a couple of subreddits that I was previously active in because of the number of posts that were exactly the same: degree in CS/IT, CE or related field, hundreds of applications sent off, few/no interviews, no job offers for months. Some experience people, some brand new. 

I think your whole argument, Nomaduser, is built on a fallacy. I earned a history degree and went back for a second degree in accounting. I have tried CS/programming courses. I am terrible at them.  I was a very good historian and am a decent accountant. If I moved to CS, I can guarantee you that I would be a terrible programmer.  This would likely be the case for many/most other people coming from other disciplines/degrees. 

A terrible computer programmer or IT person is actually less likely to be employed than people who are bad at other job areas. Why should I move from accounting, a field that I am decent at, to one where I would be bad?  So that I can go from making a reasonable wage to drawing unemployment?  I would posit that most people who end up with less profitable jobs/degrees self-select or have their path dictated to them (by school or employer).  Your assumption that every tech-related degree magically opens doors to six figure salaries is simply and objectively false. 

Put this a different way: many computer/IT jobs have practical tests that must be completed to be hired. Clearly, there are people who can pass a university class in these areas who cannot pass the practical test in industry. Given that CS professors, taken together, make more money than, say, English professors, it actually would be a TERRIBLE misallocation of resources to increase the output of CS major who cannot pass practical tests at the expense (ha!) of cheaper English majors. 

We get it, you like CS, engineering, and related fields. And that’s great. I hope you retire at 30 with millions of dollars and have fancy watches and lots of women.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
Reply


Messages In This Thread
RE: Most underemployed majors according to the U.S. Census American Community Survey - by freeloader - 08-29-2022, 01:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Survey: Majority of Americans Say College Not Affordable LevelUP 15 1,754 09-25-2026, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DegreeNerd
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 12 7,084 07-22-2026, 03:25 PM
Last Post: tomicavols
  Unique College Majors RbxFunRocks 8 3,167 05-11-2026, 10:19 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Lawmakers tried to kill CA’s online community college. Now it’s growing rapidly LevelUP 0 1,030 04-09-2026, 03:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Foundations of Community Leadership & Civil Advocacy from Shepherd University staceydiane 8 3,264 12-09-2025, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Maniac Craniac
  Search engine for American educational programs HappyOne 6 2,085 10-04-2025, 02:45 PM
Last Post: HappyOne
  Survey: What Online College Students Need LevelUP 2 1,751 06-23-2025, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  3 Year Bachelors from a Community College natshar 4 3,146 06-03-2025, 09:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  3 College Majors With Declining Starting Salaries LevelUP 4 3,659 04-10-2025, 09:09 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  Houston Community College and Sophia Learning Partnership Concluding May 14, 2025 RaiponceRapunzel 3 7,393 03-16-2025, 12:29 PM
Last Post: nynysofly

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)