Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses
(05-05-2018, 03:46 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: At the risk of further derailing this thread, your statement also sort of paints a big field with an equally large brush.
  • Not all brick and mortar courses are hard.
  • Not all brick and mortar courses have a high level of ensured academic integrity.
  • Not everyone, and from reading here and elsewhere, quite a few actually find shmoop courses challenging, particularly those with no former knowledge of the topic and those that don't read long passages quickly while retaining detail and nuance.
Shmoop and the other online credit courses serve their purpose well for the intent of a certain demographic. There will always be system gamers, whether they live on campus, or peck their tests in remotely. A degree is no certainty the holder is worthy, just a suggestion they've applied themselves more than ones without.

I disagree and there's a bit of assumption in your post, I think.

Not all brick and mortar courses are hard.

Quite true, but statements I made were not referencing academic difficulty so much as they were referencing physical time spent in a classroom. Four years of physical classroom attendance is quite a bit different than six months in front of a screen.

Not all brick and mortar courses have a high level of ensured academic integrity

Also true, but I didn't assert this either. I was indirectly referencing proctoring as a whole, but also secure browser video proctoring as opposed to Shmoop's total lack of testing security.

Not everyone, and from reading here and elsewhere, quite a few actually find shmoop courses challenging, particularly those with no former knowledge of the topic and those that don't read long passages quickly while retaining detail and nuance.

While I understand that what's challenging for one may not be challenging for another, I do think that with some effort and a healthy combination of desire and willpower, many obstacles can be overcome. I, cannot in good conscience, discount anyone's potential for success; even when they experience a smidge of discomfort brought on by some kind of adversity. There are far more difficult things in life than this Shmoop thing, or any other academic matter as far as I'm concerned; not that you have to take my word for it. Wink

As far as "gaming" the degree is concerned, I do agree with you. I also agree that a degree is not necessarily an indicator of worthiness. The whole point of my post was to address some of the "jumped-to conclusions" in previous posts and the accompanying attitudes of entitlement.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
[-] The following 1 user Likes MSK9's post:
  • Sapientes

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thomas Edison State University suspended indefinitely Shmoop courses - by MSK9 - 05-06-2018, 10:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 177 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 399 496,717 09-12-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 370 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Courses to TESU: No More List? SCYankee 2 463 08-08-2024, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SCYankee
  Which UoPeople courses to transfer and where? ecdw94 23 5,163 06-30-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 11 1,334 06-26-2024, 02:52 PM
Question Have any of y'all gotten Sophia credit at a Tennessee State school? tennessee123 1 284 06-26-2024, 11:30 AM
  SDC: Courses with Assignments legenwait4itdary 5 491 06-05-2024, 01:21 AM
  Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree Bpreli 11 3,322 05-28-2024, 10:44 PM
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 9 1,476 05-15-2024, 05:03 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42