Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How did you become a non-traditional student?
I've really enjoyed reading everyone's stories thus far. From military service to homeschooling and family obligations, non-traditional students are a diverse crowd!

Patsgirl - I can totally relate to your position.

killerkitty - I agree with your sentiments 100% about how brutal boring jobs are and how a degree will open door to a new life.

cinderly - I can also relate to having a "difficult" childhood (putting in mildly).

I started out my college journey at UMASS as a freshman. I loved it there, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to afford go back a second year. So I moved back to my home city and rented an apartment, thinking I'd be able to save up to go back the next year. Well, when you're paying rent and bills with a low-paying job at age 19, there's really no way to save.

I got pregnant at age 20, had my son, and married his dad shortly thereafter. And this is where it all went wrong! I had to work full-time (and then some) to support my family, so I was not able to go to classes in the evenings, as I was not able to afford another sitter (my ex-husband generally went out with friends every night) nor was I willing for my son to be in 20 hours of daycare per day! Occasionally, I'd scrape some money together for a class, maybe every year or two.

When I finally discovered Charter Oak, I was only able to take a class or two occasionally because of finances. My ex had a serious spending problem and chronically owed tens of thousands of dollars to the IRS because he was self-employed and never paid his taxes, because he said he had, "other bills." So I basically had my entire check withheld for taxes every week. I had to do this so the IRS didn't put a lien on our house. Also, I couldn't take out students loans because I had to pay off tremendous amounts of my husband's credit card debt just so we could survive.

After twelve years of this misery, I finally decided to divorce. My ex was always out with his friends and neglected me and our son, was not supportive of me finishing my education, he was a financial disaster. We sold our house, which paid off all his debt, but there was nothing left over. I moved into a small, dingy rental with our son. But I was happier than I'd even been! I was able to apply for and get student loans. In three semesters, I was able to finish my degree, something I wasn't able to do in the previous TWELVE YEARS while I was married to him.

As I mentioned in another thread, he laughed at me after our divorce about the fact I didn't have a degree. I guess there's nothing for him to laugh about any more!
Charter Oak State College [COLOR="Red"]GRADUATE (I can finally say that as of 05/31/08)!!
Concentration - Psychology[/COLOR]

Tests Completed:
[COLOR="Navy"] CLEP: Introductory Sociology - 65
DSST: Drug and Alcohol Abuse - 61
Here's to Your, Health - 66
Fundamentals of Counseling - 67
Charter Oak Tests: Infant and Toddler Development
Child Developmental Psychology
Introduction to Early Childhood Education (all passed, worth 3 credits each)
Psychology GRE: 62nd percentile, 18 credits[/COLOR]

Messages In This Thread
How did you become a non-traditional student? - by crshore - 02-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 167 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 428 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 523 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince
  Seattle and Sydney Student News... bjcheung77 1 334 02-21-2024, 09:01 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Amazing Student - High IQ bjcheung77 3 575 02-16-2024, 03:40 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  15 Worst Bachelors - Student Loan Dept bjcheung77 9 1,191 12-31-2023, 02:45 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  US student visa issuances now exceed pre-COVID levels bjcheung77 1 544 12-26-2023, 04:17 AM
Last Post: RavindraNagai
  How AI threatens to make traditional college degree ‘obsolete’: experts LevelUP 5 1,212 10-20-2023, 07:21 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Oopsie, student is attending the wrong institution... bjcheung77 2 541 10-15-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  NYC college student gets 1yr prison sentence in Dubai for touching security guard LevelUP 5 920 10-06-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77