Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree?
(12-20-2017, 02:36 PM)Kev Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 09:00 AM)cookderosa Wrote: This is an interesting question.  You're asking a group of people who do not/have not attended the school you're targeting- in another country- if we can predict how their adcom will evaluate your degree.  No one can do that- so that's the wrong question.

Your degree from TESU will contain exactly what you fill it with- so if you take classes or tests, it's up to you.  I often read people's questions who ask about not having a TESU GPA.  The only reason you'd not have a TESU GPA is if you don't take classes there- I took classes there, I have a GPA.  In other words, you're in the driver's seat. You can take your classes butt-in-seat if you want (locally) and transfer them in- if you complete your degree using online classes, that's also your decision.  

TESU is a regionally accredited state college, non-for-profit, and 100% legit.  There is absolutely nothing shady about the college.  That said, getting into a competitive graduate program will require a lot of preliminary work on your part- including researching any prerequisites the college has, and making a plan to check those boxes.  

Can you get into grad school?  Of course.  Can you get into THAT grad school? Who knows.

Hi Jennifer,

I agree asking this wouldn't make much sense, however, this wasn't my question at all, but simply an introduction to give a basic overview of my planning and goals.

Like most things, and especially for something that would take nearly a year to complete, as well as cost $6000+, I believe knowing if this will be useful is important. I am worried that an online degree will be badly perceived and thought that it would be good to ask for advice to know if there is some truth to my worries or if it is simply a worry and nothing more.

What I would like to know is people's opinion and experience with applying to jobs or certificate/graduate programs with an online degree, to give a better and more accurate idea of the situation.

But I did answer your question - the one you should have asked instead of the one you asked. Wink

The one you asked is looking for certainty from a small and biased sample size.
Our answers, thoughts, and opinions don't get you into Nottingham. Furthermore, even if the entire population of the planet was asked, that also doesn't get you into Nottingham. My getting accepted into all of the grad schools I applied to doesn't get YOU into Nottingham. My resume doesn't help you.

Unlike many people here with vague or uncertain goals, you have a very specific one- and in this case, you're ahead of the game. You know exactly what you want. Now that you do, work backward and build a plan to get there. Can you get into Nottingham? Yes. How? That's the million dollar question.

My original answer still applies "Your degree from TESU will contain exactly what you fill it with- so if you take classes or tests, it's up to you... You can take your classes butt-in-seat if you want (locally) and transfer them in- if you complete your degree using online classes, that's also your decision. ...TESU is a regionally accredited state college, non-for-profit, and 100% legit. There is absolutely nothing shady about the college. That said, getting into a competitive graduate program will require a lot of preliminary work on your part- including researching any prerequisites the college has, and making a plan to check those boxes. Can you get into grad school? Of course. Can you get into THAT grad school? Who knows."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree? - by cookderosa - 12-21-2017, 10:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 4 82 4 hours ago
Last Post: rickrick
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,614 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 7 1,310 09-01-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Fred78
  Degree plan help RajSingh 8 296 08-29-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,581 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,931 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 6,662 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 516 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,082 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 332 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger