Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input!
Provider: StraighterLine
Course: Survey of World History
Course content: I. hate. this. course.  Really, it's horrible.  It's an Acrobatiq course.  The content is good; the presentation is bad, and the test setup is awful.  The navigation is several layers deep and not very linear, so it's hard to find your place.  It's also very slow (slow load times).  Search works well, though.  Tests are in a format unique to Acrobatiq (not like other SL tests).  There's no way of knowing how many questions are on the test before starting it.  All tests are an hour long, but range from 13 questions (really!) to 63.  There is no retake option for the first exam. All questions load on a single page, and it takes long enough that with the first one I was about to exit out, thinking something was wrong with it because it was blank.  The time the test is due will display on the screen, NOT a countdown.  Don't cut it close; I learned the hard way that it isn't synced with your computer's clock.  And some of the questions were poorly done.  One in particular required that labels be dragged into place on a map, but it wasn't clear what the labels went to.  Oh, and the syllabus and actual course don't match -- there's one more module/test in the actual course than is listed in the syllabus.  (Final really is still 30% of the grade, though.)
Final exam format: 60 questions, 2 hours, multiple choice, closed book.  The final is formatted like other SL exams, not like other Acrobatiq exams. (In other words, the format does not match the format of earlier exams in the same course.) 
Final exam content vs course content/practice exams: The information wasn't new, per se, but I felt like this pretty much didn't resemble the module exams at all. 
Time taken on course: Several weeks (and probably should've spent more time reading -- I was basically guessing on the final; I really, really don't find this format easy to read through, though, even though the content was well-written and interesting.)
Familiarity with subject before course: Pretty unfamiliar with most of the ancient history stuff, moderately familiar with some of the newer history stuff.  The vast majority of this was approached very unlike any of my previous history class experience, though.  (It felt almost all-new, even in areas I thought I was somewhat familiar with.)  Ancient history felt like it focused more on China than any other civilization.
Pitfalls, high points, things others should know: 
1-10 Difficulty level: 8 (not necessarily for knowing the material, but for passing the class, taking technical factors into consideration)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
[-] The following 1 user Likes a2jc4life's post:
  • sarg123

Messages In This Thread
RE: The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! - by a2jc4life - 11-29-2017, 05:36 PM
Bus 311 Project Mgmt - Study.com - by khwaja1924 - 01-26-2022, 05:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Current Study.com Coupon Codes pws 69 45,451 09-24-2024, 06:41 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study.com College Saver - 30% off 3 months portals 42 7,582 09-24-2024, 06:32 PM
  Study.com History Courses lawqueen04 4 237 09-16-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Straighterline Open Book Finals cookiecandle 15 10,870 09-16-2024, 12:24 AM
Last Post: VanillaBean
Lightbulb Study.com 5 Exam Limit per Month Clarification Jaymes 2 291 09-13-2024, 08:06 PM
  Study.com non-proctored final exams Tsanchez123 6 644 08-30-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: wow
  Fastest Saylor courses? evadne 3 397 08-25-2024, 02:16 PM
  Study.com renewal discount Tsanchez123 1 244 08-25-2024, 10:53 AM
  Question re: Straighterline ACC150 ExcellentPhoto 3 326 08-16-2024, 11:49 AM
  Which order should I take these Study.com Classes from easiest to most difficult? mohelena02 9 3,246 08-16-2024, 11:36 AM