Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please, please help with advice on getting a master of history..r/o
from American Military University.

I plan to get my MLS and would also love to have a masters in history not only for my own enjoyment, but also, to bump up my resume. I hope/plan to work in archives.

I have been in contact with several grad schools for library science and even the top ranked ones have absolutely no problem with a degree that is online as long as it is regionally accredited.

A friend of mine is suggesting that I take my clep credits and apply to a "real" school to complete my undergrad. Virginia Commonwealth university in my state will accept 54 credits toward a degree in cleps. And then to get my masters in history at a b&m. More specifically--George Mason University or the College of William & Mary.

No doubt, these are all ranked schools and in the case of W&M, a highly ranked school. I want to be very competitive when I start applying for jobs. I plan to apply toplaces like the Library of Congress, the National Archives and the Smithsonian among others.

It would add another year or year and a half if I were to change everything now. Do you think that it's worth it to have a "stronger" application? I do plan to start volunteering soon, so I will have some actual experience. I will turn 38 in Sept.

Any thoughts/advice would be grealty appreciated!!!! Thank you in advance.
AMU is a "really good REAL" school. :iagree:
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
LOC4ME Wrote:from American Military University.

I plan to get my MLS and would also love to have a masters in history not only for my own enjoyment, but also, to bump up my resume. I hope/plan to work in archives.

I have been in contact with several grad schools for library science and even the top ranked ones have absolutely no problem with a degree that is online as long as it is regionally accredited.

A friend of mine is suggesting that I take my clep credits and apply to a "real" school to complete my undergrad. Virginia Commonwealth university in my state will accept 54 credits toward a degree in cleps. And then to get my masters in history at a b&m. More specifically--George Mason University or the College of William & Mary.

No doubt, these are all ranked schools and in the case of W&M, a highly ranked school. I want to be very competitive when I start applying for jobs. I plan to apply toplaces like the Library of Congress, the National Archives and the Smithsonian among others.

It would add another year or year and a half if I were to change everything now. Do you think that it's worth it to have a "stronger" application? I do plan to start volunteering soon, so I will have some actual experience. I will turn 38 in Sept.

Any thoughts/advice would be grealty appreciated!!!! Thank you in advance.

Well, one thing that you'll have to remember is that you're going to be fighting 24-25 year olds for entry level jobs at those facilities. (5-6 years from now).

While the additional masters may give you a boost. I honestly don't know what to tell you there. I like all of the schools you've named - Then again, went to HS a short distance away from George Mason, and lived in DC/VA for about a total of 30 years. Can you afford to go to a B&M full time for the Masters?
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 347 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  “How Predatory Master’s Programs Get Away With It” Jonathan Whatley 7 439 09-09-2024, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  Master of Letters in History dewisant 4 509 06-28-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help with Coopersmith's (PSY-304) History and Systems of Psychology Ben2020 14 3,147 04-11-2024, 06:07 PM
Last Post: Msecool123
  Acceptance for online master's for WES Canada Petrikor 29 9,208 01-25-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 972 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Burnout advice anewmanx 13 3,007 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Study.com for World History TECEP bannerfield 4 1,269 09-27-2023, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Master Propio in Spanish Teaching 19 Euro elcastor21 11 1,351 09-27-2023, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Kab
  History of Degree Awarding Tomes MichaelGates 2 620 07-06-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77