Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice needed - Non-Citizen; US L1 Visa; Want to go into Supply Chain Management
Hi,

I would like to seek your guidance and advice on a few items. First off, let me tell you about my circumstances:

I moved from the Philippines to Colorado 2 years ago for work.
I currently work for a big tech company, and basically in my dream company. I currently work as part of the vendor management team.
I would like to be able to get into other teams within the organization, and right now I'm thinking of going into supply chain.
I did not finish my degree in the Philippines, but I studied BS Chemistry there.
I'm thinking that I would like to speed through the non-major courses, but I would like to really learn the major subjects since supply chain is not a field that I am in right now, and I will be completely new to it.
I've been working for 20 years now, and 5 years with my current company -- (3 years in the Philippines, 2 years and going in the US).

Your Location: Colorado (but not a US citizen; moved from Philippines)
Your Age: 42
What kind of degree do you want?: Supply Chain Management
Current Regional Accredited Credits: None
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: None
Any certifications or military experience?: I have COPC certification but that was from 2016.
Commitments: I have a full-time day job. No spouse or kids.
Budget: Quite flexible but hoping it would be less than $6k.
Dedicated time to study: 10-14 hours per week.
Timeline: Whenever it can be possible
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I can get reimbursement for 1/3 of the cost.

Here's where I may need your guidance:
(1) Is there any way that I can get credits for some of my courses from the Philippines?
(2) If I want to pursue a masters degree from a traditional/ more prestigious institution in the future, should that limit my options for where I should get my bachelor's?
(3) Are there any scholarships/ grants at all that I can take advantage of as a non-citizen?
(4) What online university would you recommend given my circumstances and future plans?
(5) What kind of preparations should I be making before enrolling? Should I be taking any third-party tests already?

Thank you in advance!
Welcome!
Do you have any transcripts from your original school? If it isn't in English, you first need to have it translated and then evaluated with GPA equivalent by an approved ACEI evaluator which will cost around 200 USD. Translations of foreign language transcripts will cost a further 65 USD.

There has been prior discussions of this specific degree on this forum, you might want to use the search function and check them. People here will likely suggest to get an UMPI Business degree with a minor of your choice. Starting with Sophia will be a first step and continue accruing pre reqs for the degree you end up choosing. If you speak fluent Tagalog, you could get the maximum score on the speaking ACTFL exam and get 12 credits, 6 of them being UL credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Avidreader's post:
  • themellopez
@themellopez, Welcome to the board, great intro post with most of the addendum and template details... Answers are below.
1) Foreign credential evaluation, academic and/or classes completed from any institution should be evaluated for US RA equivalency
2) No, any recommend public/state institution would be ideal as first choice, private/non-profit would be my second choice
3) I don't think there are, you'll have to dig into anything that may come up from the college/institution you're interested in
4) UMPI, TESU, and basically the ones we currently recommend and have a subforum for
5) You need to apply after you get an academic evaluation completed, you'll know where you stand
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • themellopez
(Yesterday, 03:12 AM)Avidreader Wrote: Welcome!
Do you have any transcripts from your original school? If it isn't in English, you first need to have it translated and then evaluated with GPA equivalent by an approved ACEI evaluator which will cost around 200 USD. Translations of foreign language transcripts will cost a further 65 USD.

There has been prior discussions of this specific degree on this forum, you might want to use the search function and check them. People here will likely suggest to get an UMPI Business degree with a minor of your choice. Starting with Sophia will be a first step and continue accruing pre reqs for the degree you end up choosing. If you speak fluent Tagalog, you could get the maximum score on the speaking ACTFL exam and get 12 credits, 6 of them being UL credits.

Thank you so much for your advice!
I can get transcripts from my previous university in the Philippines, and that will be in English.

So it would be ok to start Sophia/ Study.com exams even before I enroll in, say, UMPI, right?
Yes, I do speak Tagalog, so it's good to know that I can possibly get credits for that.

So in terms of next steps for me then, it would be:
(1) Get transcripts and have them evaluated.
(2) Get started on Sophia/ Study.com tests. (Do I need to wait for #1 to be completed before I proceed to this step?)

(Yesterday, 12:36 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @themellopez, Welcome to the board, great intro post with most of the addendum and template details... Answers are below.
1) Foreign credential evaluation, academic and/or classes completed from any institution should be evaluated for US RA equivalency
2) No, any recommend public/state institution would be ideal as first choice, private/non-profit would be my second choice
3) I don't think there are, you'll have to dig into anything that may come up from the college/institution you're interested in
4) UMPI, TESU, and basically the ones we currently recommend and have a subforum for
5) You need to apply after you get an academic evaluation completed, you'll know where you stand

Thank you so much for answering each of these questions! I will keep you posted on my progress here.
Have just 1 subscription open at a time. No point spending more money if you are too busy taking courses on Sophia. Usually people start with Sophia because the courses can be done faster and finish with specific Study courses that are needed for their chosen degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Avidreader's post:
  • themellopez
(Yesterday, 01:26 PM)Avidreader Wrote: Have just 1 subscription open at a time. No point spending more money if you are too busy taking courses on Sophia. Usually people start with Sophia because the courses can be done faster and finish with  specific Study courses that are needed for their chosen degree.

Ahh got it. Thank you so much for sharing this!
To answer your questions from post #4, you should review WIKI for UMPI, at the bottom besides categories, click UMPI to see the plans for general education and specific degrees. My suggestion is to complete the classes you know you didn't take previously that are required, using Sophia.org first and then Study.com, you can then take classes at UMPI that can't be transferred in. If you need a Sophia.org coupon, check the sticky thread, and if you need one for Study.com, it's in my Bio or Signature. WIKI Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Un...esque_Isle
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UoPeople to UMPI - Seeking Advice on Completing Bachelor’s Degree Robotik 3 135 Yesterday, 12:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree plan advice - Impossible to realize hakjack 9 380 10-20-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 13 871 10-20-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  17 years old | BA in Criminal Justice | Planning Advice madds_72 5 321 10-07-2024, 10:06 PM
Question Request for Advice on Selecting a University for My Bachelor's Degree Evoluvin 11 780 09-29-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: Evoluvin
  Degree advice pls starsfan33 9 509 09-24-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: starsfan33
  Tamuc & WGU planning advice onward25 10 548 09-23-2024, 11:15 PM
  Degree planning advice needed, all opinions welcome Lucidus 5 450 09-20-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Lucidus
  EU Bachelor of Professional Studies in Technology Management tonyend2001 2 199 09-16-2024, 10:41 PM
Last Post: tonyend2001
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 11 1,280 09-08-2024, 11:45 PM