Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA Computer Science Final upper class to take
Hi. I have transferred in as much as I could with the BA in Computer Science. I am just going to take one of the available courses with them (rather than mess with the TECEP Networking or some other way to test out of credit). My options I'm considering are:
  • CIS-3510 Software Engineering 
  • CMP-3540 Network Technology
  • COS-4510 Artificial Intelligence
I've heard that software engineering is the easiest one to complete. Artificial intelligence looks the most useful to me and the network technology looks the most useful/practical for me. I took both study.com network technology courses but they did not transfer over. I still don't understand the topic area very well though. 
Has anyone taken any of these courses? Anything to say about network technology or artificial intelligence in terms of commitment and difficulty level?

Thanks a lot!
My two cents... if you are dead set on taking one of the three courses you've listed to listed, while I haven't take any of them are as follows. 

Members on the forum have reported on taking software engineering - assuming you haven't already taken the capstone, if you are going to knock the capstone & the remaining course together, an easier UL sounds like a win.

While AI might be the most useful to you, my opinion is currently there's going to be emphasis in the real world relating with AI, some of it is hype, some of it is legit, we are sort of at the cross roads between what used to be theory and what is now practice. Personally (take this at value from a random person on the internet) - I feel that you would be better off either researching and experimenting with AI yourself, maybe see if there are any additional third party certificates or courses you could do related with AI.

Which leaves Network Technology... so you've already taken the study.com courses and while TESU doesn't might have not transferred it as UL, did you pass the SDC networking courses? Did you do well on it? Because if you did well on the SDC networking course, while I can't speak for the Network Technology class itself, I can speak towards the Network Technology TECEP - so you could always attempt that.

If you are really considering taking the Network Technology class... it might be worth the gamble just to take the TECEP, if you pass it you would save about a grand. Granted if you fail it, then you would still have to take the remaining course with TESU and would be out about 300ish bucks, but if you failed the TECEP then it probably isn't worth taking the class at the point, considering you have multiple options.

Personally if it was me, I would go by the following in order: 
  1. Network Technology TECEP
  2. Software Engineering
  3. Artificial Intelligence (because it might be the most useful to you)
  4. Network Technology class.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (118/121)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540)
Coursera: 39 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics, IBM Full Stack Software Developer)
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus)
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government)
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits
Sophia.org: 49 Credits
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits
B&M College: 105.34 Credits
Thanks for taking the time out of your day to write back.
I did both Network courses on SDC and I was horrible on both and only really passed because of how easy they make it with the weighting of the quizzes, assignments, and final exam. I don't think I can sweat the TECEP preparation because I've seen others struggle so much on it on this forum.

My current schedule will look like this: MS Data science starting up jan 8 with two courses (Eastern University). I will also have another academic commitment beyond Eastern and TESU as well as some work and a 2-year-old. The other academic commitment is completing up the clinical practice for getting a teaching license... the very thing that set me off on this journey to recreate myself as a computer science guy.

Maybe the best solution is to just sit on it and wait until my other academic commitment is finished after Feb. I've read on Degree Info that the first two courses I'll take at Eastern are on the easier/lighter side (at least they should be given my background). I could crack on with the capstone course and then see if I will have any extra time learning a bit more for TECEP or for the AI course: it is next available in March. Not available now.

So, it looks like the fastest to complete would be TECEP or do the SE course while doing the capstone in parallel... considering I can balance all that.
@Armstrong, Welcome to the board, a good start in providing some info but it's missing the more important details on the addendum and template.  It seems you have a Bachelors already and looking to add the TESU BACS before you begin the MS Data Science? What's your previous degree? I highly suggest you fill in this information, your easiest option is to take the Capstone and pay the residency waiver fee and transfer in all the remaining credits using Saylor.org, Sophia.org, Study.com combo for classes remaining. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

And, for reference, you want to review your previous question and the subsequent answers: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid410678
BTW, were you able to open the CryptoPad document you mentioned in a previous post here? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid410750
In reference to the addendum and template, something compact and concise as I recommended here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid410308

Edit to Add, Last but not least, you may also want to see if this CIS class can be used in the UL AOS electives classes at TESU: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid409575
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The AI course is one I took. It's strictly theory, there are no practical assignments in the course. That said, I think it's useful, and not really difficult as long as you do the reading.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
I do have a first degree. I've transferred in as much as I could as well as a lot of classes I got while preparing for WGU (but gave up with WGU). I just need an UL and the capstone. I will complete it at the same time as the MS Data Science at eastern (starting on monday).

Here is the addendum:

Your Location: Beijing, China
Your Age: 38
What kind of degree do you want?: BA Computer Science at TESU (2 courses still needed to complete: capstone + (network technology or software engineering or AI)) | MS Data Science at Eastern University (Jan 8, 2024 start)
Current Regional Accredited Credits: BA in German Language, minor in comparative lit and russian studies: 131 credits-> intro to anthropology, intro to cell molecular biology, evolution/form/function of organisms, computing concepts and applications; english 101 and 102; survey of european lit; german 101-202, history 101-102, college algebra, intro to psychology, chinese 101, chinese 102, chinese 202, French 313 conversation and composition, contemporary math with applications, spanish composition 313, german 313 composition and grammar, francophone literature, russian 101-202, studies in russian film, German 314 german conversation, german 325 contemporary issues, german 472 studies in german cinema, russian folktales, russian 313 conversation and composition,  russian 390 kino-talk, comparative literature capstone, german 390 african diaspora, german 390 translation for the profession, german 490 multiculturalism and ethnicity, german 498 capstone project, russian 314 russian conversation and composition.
Current ACE, CLEP, or NCCRS Credits: 
  • SDC: geometry 101, intro to operating systems, management information systems, systems analysis and design, network system design, software engineering, data structures and algorithms, database management, computer architecture, discrete mathematics, intro to cyber security, artificial intelligence
  • sophia: intro to python, intro to networking, calculus 1, intro to java programming, principles of management, project management, introduction to relational databases, intro to web development, intro to information technology. 
  • CLEP: spanish 101-202, french 101-202
Any certifications or military experience?: Cambridge Celta, Cambridge Delta (TESOL qualifications), no military experience
Budget: under 20k
Commitments: 2-year-old daughter, probably not much time to juggle all this
Dedicated time to study: 10-15 hours a week in the wee hours of the morning or late at night while burning the candle at both ends
Timeline: Dec 2024
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Not needed
IMO if you don't want to risk it, forget the Networking TECEP and Saylor software engineering test. Both are difficult. Just do the TESU AI or software eng course and it may require more "work", but it's smooth sailing.
WGU MS ITM, 2021.
TESU BACS, 2020.
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
----
I'm going to have to echo @posabsolute's recommendation then, if you are going to do a course at TESU, it sounds like those two are your best options.

@bjcheung77 does have a good point, you could check if ASU Universal Learner classes CIS classes would work and based off that thought...

@armstrong - looking at your current ACE, CLEP & NCCRS credits - another option (depending on what catalog year your degree plan is based on) could be completing the SAS Advanced Programmer Professional Certificate - while ACE recommended it to be UL on the subject of software engineering, it comes in as UL special topics in statistics - so if you have the H. Additional AOS Electives in your degree plan it should fall into place there.
In Progress:
TESU:
BA Computer Science (118/121)
SoonCapstone

Completed: AS in Mathematics, Certificate in Computer Information Systems

TESU: 6 Credits (SOS-110, CMP-3540)
Coursera: 39 Credits (IBM Data Analysis & Visualization Foundations, SAS Advanced Programmer, Google Data Analytics, IBM Full Stack Software Developer)
Study.com: 27 Credits (Management Information Systems, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management, Computer Architecture, Discrete Mathematics, Geometry, Data Structures, Intro to Operating Systems, Calculus)
InstantCert.com: 3 Credits (American Government)
CSMLearn.com: 3 Credits
Sophia.org: 49 Credits
Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service 11 Credits
B&M College: 105.34 Credits
This is what I recommend for now, on a whim, take the Saylor.org practice test to the Software Engineering to see how you did. Decide if the time for that class would be easier, faster than doing a class at TESU. If you're over 60% on that practice exam, you've got only a bit more to study, It's just $5/final exam, the practice is free... Saylor is still UL until the end of the month as per this Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid410856
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Now to complicate everything: I have come to the realization that I can perhaps get another major or something like that. Two majors or concentrations is possible and two associates? I got confused a bit with the advisor because she said I had a bachelor degree already before transferring to TESU and after I get the first bachelor from TESU (makign my second) I won't be able to get another one.

So now I'm exploring what I can do with this BA in Computer Science. I'm interested in Math and Biology. Dear... it looks like I need to go back to the drawing board. History also looks potentially interesting, but not directly in line with any kind of goals later.

@bjcheung77 My advisor said it would come in as a LL credit and I already have it from SDC. You think I should just ignore this link here and take it? https://www.saylor.org/partners/credit/t...r-partner/

@AllThose299s Thanks for the recs. I think that I might end up doing a full semester if I end up getting a second major or whatever (two capstones lumped together) then I might just knock out the other one. But if I can get it at saylor still.... It could free me up to do the biology major or something if I'm brave enough to keep pushing.

@posabsolute & @davewill I'll keep this in mind if I end up just doing one capstone. I'll keep considering it as I explore what I can do with getting other majors or associates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 700 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BA Computer Science Questions puga 18 1,210 08-16-2024, 11:23 PM
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science / AAS Applied Computer Studies newdegree 15 973 07-26-2024, 11:31 AM
  Upper level Computer Science Credits TESU BA CS newdegree 6 622 07-18-2024, 06:24 PM
Question Upper Level & Social Sciences Credits for TESU Ninjadude 9 618 07-18-2024, 03:58 PM
Last Post: Michelle779
  TESU Computer Science Degree After Completing UMPI BLS IT and PM kakasahib 2 449 07-03-2024, 04:18 PM
  Help with BA Computer Science plan? Jwheels27 2 613 06-03-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Jwheels27
  Network Technology Class ACI 3 440 05-14-2024, 08:06 AM
Last Post: ACI
  Final Stretch Degree Plan Help TESU BSBA Sargoththemino 5 781 04-29-2024, 10:29 AM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 1,275 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara