Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science Degree Needed
(10-27-2023, 05:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: WGU's a good option to select from, they've got several states endorsing them and also have the ACBSP programmatic or secondary business accreditation (just like TESU, they've got ACBSP as well).  You might want to be clear with them and see if you can do the Accelerated BSIT/MSITM instead of just a 'basic business bachelors''.  You can try and finish this combo in two terms by maxing your transfer credits.  WGU Degree Plans Link: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Category:WGU

Thanks for the resource and good idea I will ask. What are your thoughts on completing the certs that are part of the program prior to enrolling? I've read a few posts about people getting stuck on some and essentially wasting time in their term.

(10-27-2023, 09:50 PM)davewill Wrote: Do you think they would pay for TESU if you did a BSBA-CIS? You can pair that with a BACS by just taking the CS courses as the electives, graduating with both for the same money.

They seemed turned off by the idea of TESU in general. One of our offices is near TESU so maybe they know something I don't? They essentially said find a school local to me in Florida or would consider WGU depending on the degree.
@lifted567, get the max transferred into the degree, if you have the energy/time to do the 'pre-study' for the certs, do them at WGU instead of paying out of pocket.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-27-2023, 10:42 PM)lifted567 Wrote: They seemed turned off by the idea of TESU in general. One of our offices is near TESU so maybe they know something I don't? They essentially said find a school local to me in Florida or would consider WGU depending on the degree.

That's a shame. Some people are biased for no good reason. Pretty sure there are no inexpensive FL schools, and almost certainly none that can be done "quickly".

What about a Business degree from UMPI? Maybe BABA Project Management & Information Systems.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • davewill
(10-28-2023, 03:07 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @lifted567, get the max transferred into the degree, if you have the energy/time to do the 'pre-study' for the certs, do them at WGU instead of paying out of pocket.

Makes sense! Looks like the MSIT track requires a lot more courses to be taken at WGU which I'm trying to avoid. Tbh I'm looking to "check the box" for a degree to be eligible for a promotion so spending a lot more time for a Masters doesn't seem worth it to me. Getting the PMP cert will probably be my next step after a Bachelor's.

(10-28-2023, 05:51 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-27-2023, 10:42 PM)lifted567 Wrote: They seemed turned off by the idea of TESU in general. One of our offices is near TESU so maybe they know something I don't? They essentially said find a school local to me in Florida or would consider WGU depending on the degree.

That's a shame. Some people are biased for no good reason. Pretty sure there are no inexpensive FL schools, and almost certainly none that can be done "quickly".

What about a Business degree from UMPI? Maybe BABA Project Management & Information Systems.

It was a dagger in the heart for sure. I mean, it's my fault as I should've verified all this before starting but I was excited to after reading all the information here and didn't want to wait weeks for responses from HR. I've been searching for Florida based schools and you're right, either they don't allow any/a lot of alternative transfer credits and/or they follow the traditional term structure which I really don't want to do.
@lifted567, you need to decide for yourself which options to take and see which routes are the best for your current goal. I think there are a few options you have, being viable for your current use is up to you and your workplace to determine if it would work or not. Sometimes looking at the number of courses/work may seem like a steep hill for alternative, but actually be easier than taking courses on a traditional route... the reason is because these are alternative credit plus competency based, it's much cheaper, easier, faster than a regular class.

(10-28-2023, 10:52 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @lifted567, you need to decide for yourself which options to take and see which routes are the best for your current goal.  I think there are a few options you have, being viable for your current use is up to you and your workplace to determine if it would work or not.  Sometimes looking at the number of courses/work may seem like a steep hill for alternative, but actually be easier than taking courses on a traditional route... the reason is because these are alternative credit plus competency based, it's much cheaper, easier, faster than a regular class.

Hi,

Just wanted to circle back to thank you, rachel83az and others here for setting the right path! I went back and forth after my last post and ended up going for the UMPI BA with a concentration in Project Mangement and Infosys. I was able to finish in one session and will be looking for my next step with a Masters, thanks so much all!
[-] The following 3 users Like lifted567's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, origamishuttle, rachel83az
Congrats! That's awesome, you can try and ladder up to the MAOL as a logical progression, as I think the BA PM&IS already has 2-3 classes that get exempt from the MAOL... You want to review this post and see if you have all 3-4 classes or not: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid400861

Wow. Congrats. Good luck with your further studies.
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • lifted567
(03-04-2024, 02:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Congrats! That's awesome, you can try and ladder up to the MAOL as a logical progression, as I think the BA PM&IS already has 2-3 classes that get exempt from the MAOL... You want to review this post and see if you have all 3-4 classes or not: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid400861

Yes, have thought about that, only have 1 class that would be exempt since I had certifications that covered the others. I may also look at an MBA program but still undecided at this point.

(03-04-2024, 03:39 PM)jg_nuy Wrote: Wow. Congrats. Good luck with your further studies.

Thank you!!!
HAU MBA at $3K is a steal, I would at least have that in on your list of programs, even if it's just a 'backup' option and not a front runner... I would put this in the top 3 of your list, the others are ones you 'really really want'...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International Student UMPI Admission process and Degree Plan pedroso91 4 103 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pursuing CS Degree at 33 - starting from 0 MrPokey 14 815 10-25-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: origamishuttle
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 15 1,265 10-24-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: thornytumbleweed
  Advice needed - Non-Citizen; US L1 Visa; Want to go into Supply Chain Management themellopez 6 264 10-22-2024, 01:53 AM
  UoPeople to UMPI - Seeking Advice on Completing Bachelor’s Degree Robotik 3 207 10-21-2024, 12:50 PM
  Degree plan advice - Impossible to realize hakjack 9 483 10-20-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  UMPI BLS degree planning advice MCMDF79 13 931 10-20-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: MCMDF79
  Please help for degree planning zyczycccc 5 360 10-17-2024, 04:04 PM
Last Post: zyczycccc
  Breaking Into Sales - Help With Getting a Bachelor’s Degree (Most Likely Business Adm AccountingForThis 8 355 10-17-2024, 01:15 PM
  Please help for degree planning Rabbitbunny 7 362 10-15-2024, 07:50 PM