Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNHU new gen ed requirements
Hi, I'm a new student at SNHU starting Aug 28th (CS Major). I was hoping to follow the gen ed roadmap on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SNHU_!General_Education_Requirements_Roadmap However, their general education requrements have changed. I was informed by my academic advisor that these following classes are not eligible for transfer from Sophia:

Humanities (CHUM)
Sustainability (CSST)
Exploration
Ethical Thought and Equity (EETH)
Creative and Critical Expression (ECCE) Advisor Note: STEM Students must take HUM-215
Historical Perspectives (EHPS) Advisor Note: STEM students must take HIS-217
Contexts in Shaping the Self in Society (ESPE) Advisor note: STEM students must take SCS-260
Culmination Exp

Basically only English and Math classes are being accepted.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdubley's post:
  • berlinerd
Unfortunate. 

My first guess is that too many students were transferring in with all those GE credits, and SNHU wanted the extra cash from people taking those classes with them..
[-] The following 2 users Like studyingfortests's post:
  • jdubley, ss20ts
(08-08-2023, 11:38 PM)jdubley Wrote: Hi, I'm a new student at SNHU starting Aug 28th (CS Major). I was hoping to follow the gen ed roadmap on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SNHU_!General_Education_Requirements_Roadmap However, their general education requrements have changed. I was informed by my academic advisor that these following classes are not eligible for transfer from Sophia:

Humanities (CHUM)
Sustainability (CSST)
Exploration
Ethical Thought and Equity (EETH)
Creative and Critical Expression (ECCE) Advisor Note: STEM Students must take HUM-215
Historical Perspectives (EHPS) Advisor Note: STEM students must take HIS-217
Contexts in Shaping the Self in Society (ESPE) Advisor note: STEM students must take SCS-260
Culmination Exp

Basically only English and Math classes are being accepted.

Thank you very much for this post. That's really bad. So they firstly advertise heavily their alt-credit routes and then they just limit that. So cheap...
[-] The following 1 user Likes berlinerd's post:
  • jdubley
Yeah it's such a bummer, I'm leaning towards WGU's BSCS instead. Possibly TESU, but the pathway seems more complicated.
Wait, when did they make the change? And are there no other alternative options for credit for transfer into their degrees now?
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • jdubley
SNHU is a lot less attractive if students must take more Gen Eds with them. That adds both significant time and monetary expense. I think it essentially doubles the previous cost of a degree to about $20k.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • berlinerd, jdubley
I will be calling to confirm tomorrow and update everyone with results. What's confusing is that my course evaluation only specifically requires MAT-142 and MAT-225 (it's in writing) from gen eds. However, the classes that my advisor told me are required for STEM (HUM-215, HIS-217, and SCS-260) aren't actually dictated on my course evaluation (they're blank under their respective categories, with just "1 course required").
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdubley's post:
  • berlinerd
(08-09-2023, 02:43 AM)jdubley Wrote: Yeah it's such a bummer, I'm leaning towards WGU's BSCS instead. Possibly TESU, but the pathway seems more complicated.

I am actually thinking the same now.
I've drafted myself just the day before yesterday fantastic degree plan with SNHU's CS major with concentration in Data Analytics and minor in Applied Math...

But okay. Now I am thinking the WGU once again. The reason I was looking at SNHU is the GPA because I would love to go to Georgia Tech later and having GPA would be great...
Maybe TESU... I have to look at it once again.

*For SNHU, technically, one could enroll in UMPI and collect some GenEds way cheaper that at SNHU itself. But after they are deliberately screwing students up, no thanks. I am irritated...
[-] The following 1 user Likes berlinerd's post:
  • jdubley
TESU isn't that complicated once you get the hang of things. It makes more sense as an enrolled student. If you need help with TESU, let us know.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • berlinerd, jdubley, studyingfortests
(08-09-2023, 03:05 AM)rachel83az Wrote: TESU isn't that complicated once you get the hang of things. It makes more sense as an enrolled student. If you need help with TESU, let us know.

Thank you. I actually found your double degree plan and now I'm considering this instead: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sample_TESU_BACS_and_BSBA_CIS_Double_Degree_Plan_(rachel83az_version)

If I may I ask, how was your experience with Metropolia?

And, as a high school graduate who barely graduated (poor grades, I was not focused), how should I go about applying to TESU? Start the outside courses first and then transfer in, or apply and enroll first to lock in my catalog?

I will be researching much more of the forum and wiki, it's an incredibly helpful resource!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU India & International Affiliates asthewindblows 26 1,564 09-05-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  SNHU Culmination Experience- Sophia PHL-316 not accepted ecomony 12 1,119 07-29-2024, 09:53 AM
Last Post: ab10365
  SNHU CS Degree plan Dheerajsyz 7 656 07-22-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  International Student in SNHU FullFocus 13 1,323 07-18-2024, 10:07 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU IDS-105 requirement sole13 5 565 07-10-2024, 05:39 AM
Last Post: sole13
  Considering SNHU BSCS, TESU BSIT, or any other BS in tech over UMPI BLS MIS cvieira 24 2,519 03-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: cvieira
  Using Guild for CS at SNHU Yoloangie40 17 2,621 09-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  SNHU vs UMPI? Duneranger 10 1,836 09-07-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  My experience at SNHU as a BS Finance major neilsf 12 3,483 08-18-2023, 11:25 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU Transfer New Credits after Enrollment - Can or Can't? berlinerd 3 1,856 08-17-2023, 11:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore