Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Govt. Update on Masks
Before COVID I wore a mask during high flu season (it's something I picked up while visiting other countries). After getting COVID and having blood clots in my lungs, catching something as simple as a cold led to me getting pneumonia. I will continue to wear a mask until I feel comfortable enough not to. Getting any kind of sickness that causes respiratory issues can and has put me in the hospital for weeks.

Sent from my SM-G981V using DegreeForum.net mobile app
In Progress: CSU MS Occupational Safety | TESU BALS HR & Computer Science | TESU AAS Admin Studies
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, HRM

Completed: TESU AAS Environmental, Safety & Tech, BA in Environmental Studies/ Natural Science and Mathematics

[-] The following 2 users Like ROYISAGIRL's post:
  • rachel83az, TINASAM
(05-18-2021, 02:27 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 02:20 PM)Vle045 Wrote: .... not everything has to be political.

Right? Some people just have weak immune systems. Or just want to be extra safe to protect friends and family who have weakened immune systems. In Asia, it's just polite to wear a mask during cold and flu season to protect yourself and others from getting sick. Nothing to do with politics.

Actually, in parts of Japan and Korea, it's quite common to wear masks if you're sick.   In places like China where the pollution is incredibly bad, people wear masks to try to filter out pollutants.  But I don't think in general people just wear masks all the time, or during cold & flu season if they aren't sick.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
It absolutely depends. Not everyone wears masks 100% of the time during cold & flu season. But it's also not uncommon for people to wear masks even when they're feeling well.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I am not fully immunized, so of course I will continue to wear a mask. I'm not sure why people have been interpreting "fully vaccinated people without compromised immune systems do not need to wear a mask to prevent COVID 19 transmission unless otherwise advised by their doctor" as "okay everybody, take off your mask!"

As a sidenote, wearing a mask outside during allergy season really helps with my allergies. That's another reason people might be wearing masks. No need to assume hostile or non-science-based motives. People complain about the freedom to not wear masks--then allow other people to freedom to wear them without having to explain themselves to you.
[-] The following 4 users Like wow's post:
  • jch, Novo, rachel83az, Vle045
(05-18-2021, 12:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I am enjoying the people who are going to continue wearing masks to prove that they hate Trump or whatever.  It's the MAGA hat of the left.

Unless you plan on wearing it for the rest of your life, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just go ahead and not wear it any longer starting now. But whatever.

I got made fun of for wearing it before the pandemic started and I'm going to keep wearing it. I had an organ transplant my immune system is messed up so I'm gonna keep wearing it.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 5 users Like ashkir's post:
  • jch, Novo, rachel83az, TINASAM, Vle045
(05-19-2021, 09:49 PM)ashkir Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 12:27 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I am enjoying the people who are going to continue wearing masks to prove that they hate Trump or whatever.  It's the MAGA hat of the left.

Unless you plan on wearing it for the rest of your life, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just go ahead and not wear it any longer starting now. But whatever.

I got made fun of for wearing it before the pandemic started and I'm going to keep wearing it. I had an organ transplant my immune system is messed up so I'm gonna keep wearing it.

I was more talking about people walking on a path, completely alone and never within 6' (or 10' or 15') from others; people driving alone in their cars; people hiking a pretty strenuous path where it's hard to breathe; all kinds of places where it's silly to wear a mask, but they wear it anyways.  I've seen it first hand.

Like I said, in many places, it's become a sign of something - "Trump said not to wear a mask, so I am going to wear one ALL THE TIME."  Obviously some people will have a good reason to wear one.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-20-2021, 09:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I was more talking about people walking on a path, completely alone and never within 6' (or 10' or 15') from others; people driving alone in their cars; people hiking a pretty strenuous path where it's hard to breathe; all kinds of places where it's silly to wear a mask, but they wear it anyways.  I've seen it first hand.

Like I said, in many places, it's become a sign of something - "Trump said not to wear a mask, so I am going to wear one ALL THE TIME."  Obviously some people will have a good reason to wear one.
On the one hand, you say some people will have a good reason to wear one. On the other hand, you seen to be deciding for yourself that their reasons are bad without knowing what they are, since you are judging the decisions of people who you randomly spot on the street.

As I already pointed out on this thread, I and other people wear masks outside because of allergies. In some areas of the country (including where I live), it is also recommended for certain populations to wear them in certain situations because of the risk of fungal lung infections. Don't assume you know why people are wearing masks or that it is a political statement. No, people may not need to wear masks outside to prevent COVID transmission, but they may need to wear them for other reasons.

Driving alone in cars: it's easier to keep a mask on than take it on and off constantly every time you get out of your car. Especially if you are taping it to your face to prevent glasses fogging.

By the way, the CDC is the one making mask recommendations at this point, not the former president. So if you're going to assume that people wearing masks are doing it to spite current mask recommendations, then clearly they would be spiting the CDC, not him.
(05-21-2021, 09:45 AM)wow Wrote: As I already pointed out on this thread, I and other people wear masks outside because of allergies. In some areas of the country (including where I live), it is also recommended for certain populations to wear them in certain situations because of the risk of fungal lung infections. 

Fungal lung infections? Is this something found only outdoors? That sounds awful.
(05-21-2021, 10:50 AM)ss20ts Wrote: Fungal lung infections? Is this something found only outdoors? That sounds awful.

Things like pigeon poo can breed fungus that can go to your lungs. I think it can happen with other types of manure as well? But it's usually pigeon.

But, regardless, inside you can do things like have HEPA filters in your A/C and/or buy stand-alone air purifiers to remove fungal spores from the air. So, yeah, if you're careful then it's something only going to be found outdoors.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(05-21-2021, 09:45 AM)wow Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 09:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

On the one hand, you say some people will have a good reason to wear one. On the other hand, you seen to be deciding for yourself that their reasons are bad without knowing what they are, since you are judging the decisions of people who you randomly spot on the street.

As I already pointed out on this thread, I and other people wear masks outside because of allergies. In some areas of the country (including where I live), it is also recommended for certain populations to wear them in certain situations because of the risk of fungal lung infections. Don't assume you know why people are wearing masks or that it is a political statement. No, people may not need to wear masks outside to prevent COVID transmission, but they may need to wear them for other reasons.

Driving alone in cars: it's easier to keep a mask on than take it on and off constantly every time you get out of your car. Especially if you are taping it to your face to prevent glasses fogging.

By the way, the CDC is the one making mask recommendations at this point, not the former president. So if you're going to assume that people wearing masks are doing it to spite current mask recommendations, then clearly they would be spiting the CDC, not him.

I do know people personally who wear them because they are anti-Trump.  It's their thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 840 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Covid Update Alpha 24 2,945 02-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Update! dewisant 3 1,256 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Just a quick update on the Rebel... rebel100 8 1,944 03-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Last Post: rebel100
  update forum software to vbulletin v4.2.1 BrandeX 0 1,716 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM
Last Post: BrandeX
  MBA Update burbuja0512 10 1,750 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  MBA Update burbuja0512 8 1,606 07-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Last Post: LaterBloomer
  Update on my MBA progress ryoder 13 2,372 10-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Last Post: ryoder
  Progress Update Lydia 8 1,847 08-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Cameron16
  Quick update barbara2bba 2 1,386 05-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Last Post: OnMyWay