Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hodges UPower - any experiences/reviews?
Thanks for the reply.  But one clarification about books.   You said...

(11-11-2017, 06:39 PM)mudball Wrote:    - they are extra. They give you a list and have you order them from their store and they add the costs to your tuition. So far there are no physical books, everything is accessed online. We are paying monthly for both about $558. If he does a lot of classes in the six months the book costs may increase that.

You mean your monthly cost thus far for tuition and books is $558?  Meaning, $558*6 months = $3348 per 6 months for the books and tuition, meaning your book cost thus far is $348?

If so, is that only for books for the first 2 classes or did you pay for X amount of books for X amount of classes in advance?

BTW:  Your son is 17 and enrolled in college?  More power to him Exclamation 
That's not typical this day and age.  You should be proud of him and yourself.
My bill for the six months was: $3,000 tuition, $95 certification, ($250) discount, $405 books. = $3250
I don't know what the discount is, maybe for buying the books through them.
When I ordered the books my bill was $0.00
I'm assuming that the $405 covers the cost of books for however many classes they consider full time. I'm not sure how many that is. Again, I'm assuming, but I believe if he takes more classes than whatever they anticipate, more book charges will be added.
I'm paying the $558 a month because that was the estimate they gave me before he was officially enrolled and I believe he will surpass the number of classes that covers.
Sorry, I can't be of more help. I was just thrilled to not be paying over $1,000 a class for CSU. It was also worth it to me to go the Hodges route rather than WGU because I believe it is less writing intensive (again I'm only drawing inferences from comments on forums). My son would rather stick a needle in his eye than write a paper. I hope I'm correct.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
Thanks, you are ACTUALLY a HUGE help to me and others who are no doubt looking for info on UPower.

Do you know what concentration your son is going to choose when he has to start taking his electives for his major classes (networking, information systems, software dev, etc)?

I hear you about WGU. I think for someone with no work-related IT experience, in this job market, WGU is not a good way to go. It's best for people already in IT who don't have a degree and need one for a promotion or just to get past HR filters when applying for other IT jobs. That's just how I feel after researching WGU student experience for the past month or so.

I am interested in finding out, when your son reaches that point, is if Hodges start to "nickel and dime" him/you on things like fees for Lab simulations or if it is included in the $3K/term tuition. It should be included, but with so little info from actual UPower students/grads (unlike WGU), it's hard to say.
I found a link for you. https://www.hodges.edu/studentaccountser...ourcefees/
He is in the BS in software development. They assign two courses at a time. One from the area of study(IT, Software) and one from Language arts/ Business requirements.
Myself: Pierpont BOG (May 2018), TESU BALS-SS (June 2019)
CC: 34cr 1979-95 SL: 9cr Shmoop: 6cr SC: 48cr Sophia: 5cr OD: 12cr TEEX: 3cr Ed4Credit: 6cr TESU: 7cr

My son: Currently pursuing Harvard Extension MLA Digital Media Design 28 Cr completed
TESU ASNSM in CS (June 2018), TESU BA Learner-Designed-Software Dev/Web Design Heart & Cert CIS (March 2019)
CSU Global: 9cr Hodges: 24cr SL: 15cr SC: 51cr TEEX: 4cr Sophia: 8cr CLEP: 3cr ED4Credit: 6cr TESU: 6cr Alex:3cr
I transferred in my general ed stuff, so there might be a ton of writing there, but in the IT program in in there's only two papers (and a database project)
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Thanks to both of you. Looks like UPower students are coming out of the woodwork.

jsd, looking at your sig makes me curious....

Did you transfer from WGU to finish you BS IT at Hodges?
No, sorry in still at WGU. I was replying to the statement that WGU was paper heavy. It wasn't for my program.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Oh, got it.
Berzerker, just wondering, do you have credits already or an Associate degree? If you don’t, you can get your general education credits completed and then apply to Hodges for their AS CIT, or finish an AS at a local college if it’s cheaper then transfer into their BS CIT degree program.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thanks. Right now, I am doing a LOT of research in order to put together a career plan. That includes possible taking credit outside the school I finally choose and transfer them in.

This time I'm going to do it right or at least methodically. My first attempt as a youngster was dismal and all I got from it was a debt that I can never get rid of unless I die. Never.again. I will still have to take out student loans to help pay, but not to the magnitude I did before, not by a long-shot. Getting a degree or even taking classes at a B&M or with a non-self-paced program isn't an option. I'm too old for that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Level 5 from UK, what have been your experiences? elcastor21 3 622 09-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hodges University - Another one bites the dust... bjcheung77 2 509 09-01-2023, 08:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Why aren't transcript reviews automated? jamshid666 33 5,483 05-26-2020, 12:44 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Post your Test Center Experiences! sgloer 3 1,212 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  English Literature CLEP , Any experiences 2L8 3 2,191 10-28-2018, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Dewm
  Hodges to stop offering uPower degrees (self-paced) posabsolute 13 5,785 01-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Hodges announcing changes to UPower dfrecore 4 2,283 01-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Last Post: jsd
Question TESU+ Anyone got any experiences? 2L8 8 2,202 01-15-2018, 08:13 PM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Experiences with Regis University Online? greencouch 15 4,122 11-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Kaplan Documenting Your Experiences for College Credit Photog 81 10,435 03-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Last Post: inf