Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me in the right direction [Environmental Sciences/Biology/Ecology]
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you guys can help me in the right direction! I've been lurking here for a few weeks and there's so much information that I wouldn't know where to look.

Let me give you a bit of information about myself:

After high school, I went to my local Community College and got a associate's degree in Liberal Arts with a Business Concentration. I originally had the intention of transferring to the local state university, but after graduating CC, I didn't really know what I wanted to study or what to do with my life in general, so I put that the bachelor on hold and went working for my dad's accounting firm. I wasn't by far what I loved, but it gave me a pay check. I worked there for two years before my girlfriend got the opportunity to get a doctorate at a university in Europe. I decided to follow her, because we've been together since we were 16. Because of a fortunate incident, I kinda rolled into job as a forestry crew member (Like manual labor in forests). And I guess what, I loved it. I've been here for three years now and I've worked myself up to team leader. I've also learned a lot of information about forest conservation and management, natural resources, ecology. I finally found something I loved doing.

Meanwhile, my girl is finished up her doctorate and we will be moving back to the US in June 2017. With that move back in my mind, I looked what my options are back home and I found there are a few master's online that really interest me. An example: the master of natural resources at Oregon State University. Of course, I'll need a bachelor's degree for that. And I was kinda thinking that while I'm still here, I can already work on that.

I learned from this forum that TESU, COSC and EC are generous with transfer credits and can be done from a distance.

I found some degrees that might be useful:
TESU:
enviromental studies
biology
COSC
General Studies with a Biology or Chemistry concentration
EC
Natural Sciences with or without a Biology concentration
Social Sciences with an Environmental Studies concentration

I'm leaning more towards TESU, but I don't know if that's the best. Can you guys give me some pointers?

I've also learned that there are alternative ways to get credit. Correct me if I'm wrong. There are certain companies that provide courses (mostly general education) that can be put on a transcript and that university can accept as credit. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but this is entirely new to me. If it's cheaper I am all for it.

What's next?
If I finally decide on a degree, how do I know if my CC credits will factor in the degree? Can someone help me with that? I'll add my credits.

ENG 101 Composition I B 3
ENG 102 Composition II A 3
COM 251 Public Speaking A 3
MAT 130 PreCalculus B 4
MAT 204 Calculus I B 4
HIS 111 US History I A 3
HIS 112 US History II A 3
ART 227 Art History B 3
REL 152 Introduction to Religion C 3
BIOL 101 Introductory Biology + Lab A 4
PHY 100 Inroduction to Physics A 3
GEO 122 World Geography A 3
ECO 130 Microeconomics B 3
PSY 101 Introductio to Psychology A 3
BUS 100 Introduction to Business A 3
MAN 150 Principles of Management B 3
CIS 101 Computer Applications A 3
MAR 101 Introduction to Marketing A 3
ACC 101 Accounting I A 3

Thanks for the help!

- Andrew aka ForestDude

PS: this turned out longer than I anticipated.
Forest Dude I sent you a PM
"I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion."~ Henry David

BA Humanities - TESC
AAS Construction and Facilities Support - TESC
AA Interior Design - MCC
AA LS - MCC
Certificate Interior Design - MCC
Certificate Management - MCC
I can't speak for EC and COSC, but I am very familiar with TESU.

The Environmental Studies degree would be expensive, and impossible to test out of - lots of courses that are hard to find there. Not impossible to do, you could do it all online through them, but I think you could find a cheaper option elsewhere.

The BA in Biology can be tested out of, but a lot of masters programs want your science courses to be butt-in-seat, which means that you would have to spend some time doing those courses.

A BA in Liberal Studies would be optimal, since it's totally available as a test-out degree, and very flexible.

I think the best thing for you to do is figure out what MA program you're interested in, and then see what the requirements are to get into the program. Do they want specific degrees? Do you need a certain GPA? How many graded credits do you have to have? This is an instance where you want to work backwards to get to the BA you should get. Then make sure you get exactly what they want.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
One thing to consider would be what agencies (or organizations/companies) you would be applying to and their requirements. For example (and to my knowledge), the USFS likes people having 4 year degrees, most state park ranger positions do not require a degree (although I'm sure it helps). I've found that knowledge is also important. Experience in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, CPR/1st Aid cert., etc...

I'm looking into the same career field, but because of all the "butt-in-seat" courses for environmental degrees (such as fisheries and wildlife management, parks and recreation management, forestry etc..) I decided to try my luck at a criminal justice degree (I'm looking into more of the law enforcement positions).

What's been helping me (since I'm new at this too) is this forums wiki: Degree Forum Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia
It kinda sums up all the basic information so it isn't as overwhelming.

I'm sure you've considered everything I've said already, it seems that you know your way around. It's just cool to connect to someone who is in the same field as I am! Wink Good luck!
dfrecore Wrote:I can't speak for EC and COSC, but I am very familiar with TESU.

The Environmental Studies degree would be expensive, and impossible to test out of - lots of courses that are hard to find there. Not impossible to do, you could do it all online through them, but I think you could find a cheaper option elsewhere.

The BA in Biology can be tested out of, but a lot of masters programs want your science courses to be butt-in-seat, which means that you would have to spend some time doing those courses.

A BA in Liberal Studies would be optimal, since it's totally available as a test-out degree, and very flexible.

I think the best thing for you to do is figure out what MA program you're interested in, and then see what the requirements are to get into the program. Do they want specific degrees? Do you need a certain GPA? How many graded credits do you have to have? This is an instance where you want to work backwards to get to the BA you should get. Then make sure you get exactly what they want.

Hi dfrecore,

I appreciate your answer, however, I don't mind doing courses. I want to start now to get a head start, but if I'm not finished by the time I get back to the US, that's okay, that was never the plan. I just need the courses to be online. Of course, they are gonna cost money. That's education, right?

As for my graded courses, look at my first post, I already added them. Most of my classes were As en Bs, so they should give me a GPA to start with.

I think for now, I might need some help with general education requirements, I'm missing. Even it's just 4 courses I'll do online through alternative credits, that's fine, then I already have those courses. I just need the right ones.

As for the master I wanna do, I don't know yet. Still searching, but they mostly do require sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ... By but-in-seat courses, do you actually mean doing that in a traditional B&M college, where you go to class every week, of do online courses count as well?

Thanks,

Andrew
ForestDude Wrote:Hi dfrecore,

I appreciate your answer, however, I don't mind doing courses. I want to start now to get a head start, but if I'm not finished by the time I get back to the US, that's okay, that was never the plan. I just need the courses to be online. Of course, they are gonna cost money. That's education, right?

As for my graded courses, look at my first post, I already added them. Most of my classes were As en Bs, so they should give me a GPA to start with.

I think for now, I might need some help with general education requirements, I'm missing. Even it's just 4 courses I'll do online through alternative credits, that's fine, then I already have those courses. I just need the right ones.

As for the master I wanna do, I don't know yet. Still searching, but they mostly do require sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ... By but-in-seat courses, do you actually mean doing that in a traditional B&M college, where you go to class every week, of do online courses count as well?

Thanks,

Andrew

I saw your courses, you're pretty set on the Gen Ed's already. You won't have a lot to do with any of the Big 3.

By butt-in-seat, yes, this means science courses at a B&M college with labs. Some schools will even specifically say "no online science courses will be accepted." So you need to keep that in mind with the science-based degree program. And since those courses build on each other, it will take a while to get through them all when you get back, going a semester at a time.

Also, with a GPA, yours is fine - but some schools will want to look at the GPA specifically for your science courses or pre-req courses. For an MBA at ENMU for instance, they look at your overall GPA, and then ALSO the GPA for 9 required pre-req courses that you need. Some MA programs will have something similar. So you need to really think it through as you plan this out.

In looking at TESU's degrees, they do not have most of the required courses for the Environmental Studies degree, nor for the Biology degree. So, I would say that you should look elsewhere for this, as it's probably not a great choice for you (those particular degrees at that particular school). I don't know EC or COSC well enough to help with that, but others here will be able to help more.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information. I will look more at the master's degree I want to get into and work backwards to get the qualifications for my bachelor's degree.

Thanks,

Andrew

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  International GCSE Sciences (EU/UK) Info bjcheung77 6 495 05-07-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TECEP Environmental Ethics dbwdb 1 809 11-01-2023, 11:15 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  Unity Environmental University explores campus sale amid online pivot bjcheung77 1 736 08-04-2023, 08:33 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 696 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
  IU Applied Sciences - 50% off tuition until July 14 (online programs) bjcheung77 0 1,364 06-30-2022, 01:50 AM
  Environmental Engineering/Safety? Bioengineering? BS GoodYellowDogs 8 1,548 06-12-2021, 11:59 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Looking for an RA Online Biology II w Lab Fountains of Roses 10 1,928 02-06-2021, 11:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheap and Fast Online Biology Degrees mgmar22 2 1,820 01-09-2021, 07:53 AM
Last Post: elenlushk
  Is the Straighterline Biology Lab Kit Reusalble or Consumable? JaronB34 1 1,433 10-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Lydclrk
  What to do with my post-bacc sciences and a word about them (med school).. MSK9 32 7,476 09-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Last Post: cookderosa