Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Federal Government Cracks Down on Accreditors, Especially ACICS
ACICS accredits career schools, and I believe most of them are for-profit. They have accredited some of the worst offenders for misleading students, falsifying records, and offering predatory loans. NACIQI has recommended to the U.S. Department of Education to revoke recognition of the accreditor. This would mean that none of the schools accredited by ACICS will qualify for financial aid. Considering how expensive these school tend to be, they can't survive without students who receive financial aid. Also, their accreditation won't be considered legitimate. ACICS has 90 days to appeal. I can't say that I will be sad to see them go. Their schools will probably flock to ACCSC, but I would like to see that accreditor gone, too.

NACIQI recommended that the American Bar Association not be allowed to accredit new members for a year. They are also keeping the American Psychological Association on watch.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016...ccreditors
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I feel bad for the duped students, but I certainly don't feel bad for predatory for profits.

Aren't like 99% of ABA approved schools regionally accredited? No financial aid impact there for the most part. ABA would likely get around it by granting "provisional" status for that year they can't actually approve, and students would still be bar-eligible. It'd still be amusing to see the ABA knocked down a peg.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I don't understand the issue with APA accreditation. According to http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/abou...ation.aspx,

"APA-accredited doctoral graduate programs must be housed in an institution that has regional accreditation."

Since an APA accredited program is also regionally accredited, I don't see why there is any concern over APA accreditation. I know very little about the APA.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Isn't ACICS the largest accreditor in the US? it would be very disruptive to tens if not hundreds of thousands of students to withdraw recognition. The credentials would not be without value as it is also recognized by CHEA. The institutions would still have recognized accreditation. Personally I think the public would be better served if the Department of Education were ended.
CHEA has revoked recognition of ACICS, I believe. There was a letter posted on the other forum. The Department of Education only controls access to financial. If ACICS is letting a large number of schools get away with fraudulent practices, then it is the responsibility of the government to stop giving tax dollars to its member schools. ACICS schools receive nearly $5 billion each year. It is up to individual employers and state governments whether or not they want to depend on recognition from the Department of Education and/or CHEA. The market controls how accreditation is viewed. The government is just the gatekeeper to public financial aid. There is one programmatic accreditor in school psychology that is neither recognized by the government nor CHEA, but the education sector is still accepting of it.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Options for Texas Government? westex93 9 428 09-20-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: westex93
  Life Experience degree from the Mexican Government itself elcastor21 6 929 09-13-2023, 09:42 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Citing Concern for Free Speech, 12 Federal Judges Won’t Take Clerks from Yale Law LevelUP 7 1,607 10-12-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  No longer a distinction between national and regional accreditors inf 9 1,897 09-26-2022, 09:28 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  ED Again Terminates Recognition of ACICS Popestt 5 748 08-27-2022, 05:53 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Has anyone taken PSC 223 - American Government at Olivet? Insert Name 3 819 05-29-2022, 02:36 AM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  Elite Universities according to UK Government smartdegree 13 1,854 05-13-2022, 01:56 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  Defense Acquisition University or free UL & LL ACE for federal & contractor tpowell 6 1,721 09-13-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TEL Learning - American Government HELP!! Shorn27 9 1,952 02-20-2021, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  ACICS Accredited - No faculty & No students bjcheung77 2 1,482 07-10-2020, 06:45 PM
Last Post: Johann