Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
want a regional B.A. degree
I have the following:

An A.A. degree from a community college.
12 hours at a university

45 hours of in person courses
78 hours of AP/CLEP/DSST

24 hours in history including 9 upper level hours
18 hours in literature, 3 of those upper level
9 hours of psychology
30 upper level hours total

As you can see, I have 123 hours but no bachelor's degree. I test well but don't like writing lengthy research papers, so TESU is a no go for me. I presume the capstone at Charter Oak would be similar to LIB-495. I thought about a no capstone BSBA, but I would need maybe 30 more hours.

Patten and that private school in New Hampshire looked interesting but they both require 30 hours. Although I want to check the checkbox on a job application, I think nationally accredited is the wrong way to go. I might want to go to graduate school some day.
Look at it this way, if you attend almost any school other than the Big 3, you will be writing a lot of papers. The capstone courses at the Big 3 might require about 30 pages (I'm just guessing), but you'll have to write one or more 5-20 page papers per course in most other online programs. It's going to add up to a lot more than 30 pages.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
liberal arts capstone is a minimum of 25 pages. There you go, 5 pages saved already ;P
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • cali86
My COSC capstone only ran about 20 pages....I earned an A.

I think it was great prep for the MBA where I would actually come to understand what a "lot" of writing actually was.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
It looks like you have a whole lot of paper writing experience from your past coursework. Think, just one more paper...
Finished: BA Liberal Studies TESU 2016

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." - Earl Nightingale
It's not clear to me exactly what the expectations for a capstone are. With master's degrees, it is possible to find theses posted online and figure out what the expectations are with a little time and effort. Excelsior, COSC, TESU all have capstones, but perhaps they are different with one school more flexible than the other two.

I was looking at a psychology degree plan at a major university. They have more than one capstone course. One is writing a paper, which sounds like a capstone at the Big Three. Another one is doing student teaching - that's reserved for those going into grade school teaching. The final capstone option is working at a social services agency for free. I would find something like that interesting. It would be good to get practical experience.
Just a note the BSBA does have a capstone (Strategic Management). Which is testable with a TECEP. The TECEP does involve 3 essays, however they do not necessary have to be as well thought out of as a traditional essay. As the people grading them understand you did not have a day or two to come up and write out an essay. Regardless most college classes will require papers.
wannafinish Wrote:It's not clear to me exactly what the expectations for a capstone are. With master's degrees, it is possible to find theses posted online and figure out what the expectations are with a little time and effort. Excelsior, COSC, TESU all have capstones, but perhaps they are different with one school more flexible than the other two.

I was looking at a psychology degree plan at a major university. They have more than one capstone course. One is writing a paper, which sounds like a capstone at the Big Three. Another one is doing student teaching - that's reserved for those going into grade school teaching. The final capstone option is working at a social services agency for free. I would find something like that interesting. It would be good to get practical experience.

Also more then likely those new 30hrs you will have to make up for, will have a class that requires at least a paper or two. Look at it this way one class (which requires papers) or 30hrs worth of classes (which will most likely require more papers in the end).
I would not let ONE capstone course stop me from finishing my degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If you choose Charter Oak there is also the cornerstone which involves a good bit of writing as well
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 445 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,529 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 418 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,929 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,444 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,449 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,627 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 773 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,984 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 894 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy