Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
need course suggestion please
I'd like to know if anyone can suggest a company besides Sophia or Saylor that is "all in one" meaning everything is for a fixed fee. I realize proctor fees are additional. But, mainly the issue is regarding textbooks (like Straighterline). Any ideas?
I can list everything that I have, I am not 100% sure on all of them (some just don't have the info on their websites), but most seem to be like Sophia (video-based):

DreamDegree - $0/LowCostGenEd - $299
edX Global Freshman Academy - $49
JumpCourse $149
Study.com $199/mo for 2 courses
Ed4Credit.com - $300
Propero.org (courses include an eTextbook) - $299
CollegePlus.org (courses include selected "readings") - $297
TorCollegeCredit (courses include "course materials" and study guides for exams) - range of prices
JavaOnline.org (course materials are included) - range of prices

I know all of this because my husband's company will pay for tuition reimbursement, including exams, but they will not pay membership fees, open-ended courses, or course materials. So I had to find a bunch of alternatives to SL, CLEP's and DSST's (he doesn't want to make the drive to SDSU for testing). He travels a lot, so he wanted something he could watch on a plane or in his hotel room, and he doesn't love to read (he's just slow at it). He really liked the idea of video-based courses.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore mentioned Study.com, and I would like to say that I have really enjoyed their content. No textbooks.
dfrecore Wrote:I can list everything that I have, I am not 100% sure on all of them (some just don't have the info on their websites), but most seem to be like Sophia (video-based):

JumpCourse $149
Ed4Credit.com - $300
TorCollegeCredit (courses include "course materials" and study guides for exams) - range of prices

I know all of this because my husband's company will pay for tuition reimbursement, including exams, but they will not pay membership fees, open-ended courses, or course materials. So I had to find a bunch of alternatives to SL, CLEP's and DSST's (he doesn't want to make the drive to SDSU for testing). He travels a lot, so he wanted something he could watch on a plane or in his hotel room, and he doesn't love to read (he's just slow at it). He really liked the idea of video-based courses.

YES!! Thank you!!
dfrecore Wrote:I can list everything that I have, I am not 100% sure on all of them (some just don't have the info on their websites), but most seem to be like Sophia (video-based):

JumpCourse $149
Ed4Credit.com - $300

Well, my 11th grade son really really needs more options similar to Sophia. He does well in that format. My only issue is that they are just a bit higher than I want to pay and none of the subjects are really grabbing his attention. He wants to be a real estate agent, and so I'm looking for things that are cross-over skills, like advertising-marketing-business besides Intro to Marketing (which he is doing through Saylor) This is so awesome, and gives me a nice list to look at, thank you!
Outis Wrote:dfrecore mentioned Study.com, and I would like to say that I have really enjoyed their content. No textbooks.

Outis, did you enroll in the College Accelerator option?
cookderosa Wrote:Outis, did you enroll in the College Accelerator option?

Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op has a deal right now for a 1-year subscription on the College Accelerator plan for $999.95!!! That's a 60% savings off the normal price. Unfortunately it's an expensive up-front price (rather than 1 course at a time), but it's still a good deal if you're going to make the most of it. It breaks down to $83.33/mo, and if you took 2 exams per month, it would be $13.88 per credit!!! Holy cow that's a good price!

If you're interested in getting this deal, you have to join (it's free): homeschoolbuyersco-op.org, click on Join The Co-Op. Once you have an account, use this link to purchase (I get points): https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/st...urce=47823

There are instructions on how it works, but basically:
1) sign up for the free 5-day trial on study.com (of the college accelerator plan)
2) sign up with the Co-op
3) sign into your co-op account
4) use my link to purchase the deal through the co-op
5) go to your "My Subscriptions" page to get your subscription code
6) log in to study.com and put in your coupon code before the 5-day trial is up

It's fast & easy! You can be signed up within minutes.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Homeschool Buyer's Co-Op has a deal right now for a 1-year subscription on the College Accelerator plan for $999.95!!! That's a 60% savings off the normal price. Unfortunately it's an expensive up-front price (rather than 1 course at a time), but it's still a good deal if you're going to make the most of it. It breaks down to $83.33/mo, and if you took 2 exams per month, it would be $13.88 per credit!!! Holy cow that's a good price!

If you're interested in getting this deal, you have to join (it's free): homeschoolbuyersco-op.org, click on Join The Co-Op. Once you have an account, use this link to purchase (I get points): https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/st...urce=47823

There are instructions on how it works, but basically:
1) sign up for the free 5-day trial on study.com (of the college accelerator plan)
2) sign up with the Co-op
3) sign into your co-op account
4) use my link to purchase the deal through the co-op
5) go to your "My Subscriptions" page to get your subscription code
6) log in to study.com and put in your coupon code before the 5-day trial is up

It's fast & easy! You can be signed up within minutes.

ohhhh that is a super great deal. I think that's actually a better deal for my OTHER son. This current son needs to fill Jan and Feb, so I'm thinking 2 months. But, wow, that's a phenomenal deal!
That's cheaper than our cheap CA CC's, which are only $620/semester for 12 units - but when you add the price of books, this deal can't be beat! Crazy cheap!

I wish I knew a couple of people who could really use this deal...oh yeah, that's right, my life is filled with people who complain about lack of job opportunities and say they can't afford a college degree, but then don't take advantage of opportunities like this one!!!

Wish your OTHER son luck for me!! I hope he takes full advantage!
I looked at the study.com website before and am still confused as to how exactly this would work.

With the Premium Edition, Online College Credit Courses - Online Classes with Videos | Study.com, 2 tests a month, what type of colleges accept the credits? Are these ACE credits? Do CCs accept the credits? Does the CLEPs listed count as the two/month included tests?
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion for a quick 3 G.E. credits shall 6 2,108 08-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  Any suggestion on how to pass the U.S History II: 1865 to the Present Clep exam Maddy007 6 6,429 04-06-2017, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Need UL history course suggestion EGnEC 6 1,349 02-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: EGnEC
  Clep Suggestion in History Maddy007 6 1,269 02-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Help and Suggestion! bonvinik 0 476 06-20-2014, 10:43 PM
Last Post: bonvinik
  Need value suggestion please rawalians2002 2 521 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Need CLEP Suggestion! Shane 5 996 07-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Suggestion for 1 Applied professional credit Jeff2243 12 1,972 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Last Post: wb.john
  Site Suggestion LANIER 2 1,060 12-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Last Post: jaspav
  looking for any suggestion to prepare CLEP-CHEMISTRY YAYA11 2 786 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Last Post: YAYA11