Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheapest Immunology 3cr RA undergrad course?
A friend of mine is looking to improve her GPA for a potential PA school application. She's looking for a 3cr undergrad Immunology course (RA credit, not ACE) to replace an F she's received in this course previously. I don't think that this will wipe out her F, since it won't be the same course number. I suppose her thought is that she can mitigate the damage done by showing that she can be successful in the course.

So, anyone know of anything that fits the bill? She could retake the course at her university, but that will cost about $1,200 and she's looking for a cheaper option.

dmjacobsen http://donaldjacobsen.com
Author, nurse, and all-around awesome guy
MSN Executive Leadership - The University of Memphis - 2016
MBA Healthcare Management - Western Governors University - 2015
$850
Immunology Course | UC Berkeley Extension

berkeley has lots of stuff
Course Catalog | UC Berkeley Extension

Cell Biology
The Biology of Cancer
Genetics
Hematology

Broome County community college has this
Immunology Fall 2015 | Open SUNY

New York State Residents (with certificate of residency)
Part-Time Student (1-11 credits) $165.00/credit

Out of New York State Residents
Part-Time Student (1-11 credits) $330.00/credit

Online Academy Tuition & Fees - SUNY Broome
dmjacobsen Wrote:A friend of mine is looking to improve her GPA for a potential PA school application. She's looking for a 3cr undergrad Immunology course (RA credit, not ACE) to replace an F she's received in this course previously. I don't think that this will wipe out her F, since it won't be the same course number. I suppose her thought is that she can mitigate the damage done by showing that she can be successful in the course.

So, anyone know of anything that fits the bill? She could retake the course at her university, but that will cost about $1,200 and she's looking for a cheaper option.

Finding an online RA 3 cr immunology course isn't like finding English 101, that's a tough one to even find- let alone cheaper.
FWIW, I'd revisit this with her. Even if it did replace her F (which I think should be done at the same school for that to work, but not the point) does she need it? It isn't a common prereq, it's not part of the premed core and a 3 cr class when added in against 120 credits won't move the gpa needle even a pinch. Are other aspects of her application excellent? I guess I'm saying, this might be a lot of work for little to no return.
cookderosa Wrote:Finding an online RA 3 cr immunology course isn't like finding English 101, that's a tough one to even find- let alone cheaper.
FWIW, I'd revisit this with her. Even if it did replace her F (which I think should be done at the same school for that to work, but not the point) does she need it? It isn't a common prereq, it's not part of the premed core and a 3 cr class when added in against 120 credits won't move the gpa needle even a pinch. Are other aspects of her application excellent? I guess I'm saying, this might be a lot of work for little to no return.

I agree with everything you're saying, and these are the same arguments I've used against re-taking the course (especially at another university). At this point, I've given up on steering her away from re-taking it and just trying to find the cheapest option for her. She's got an undergrad in Biology with a good GPA otherwise. I think this is just a small blemish on her academic record that's perhaps giving her a little tunnel vision.

bluebooger Wrote:$850
Immunology Course | UC Berkeley Extension

berkeley has lots of stuff
Course Catalog | UC Berkeley Extension

Cell Biology
The Biology of Cancer
Genetics
Hematology

Broome County community college has this
Immunology Fall 2015 | Open SUNY

New York State Residents (with certificate of residency)
Part-Time Student (1-11 credits) $165.00/credit

Out of New York State Residents
Part-Time Student (1-11 credits) $330.00/credit

Online Academy Tuition & Fees - SUNY Broome

This looks great. Much cheaper, and continuous enrollment will allow her to take a little time in thinking about whether or not she really needs this course. Thank you.

dmjacobsen Wrote:I agree with everything you're saying, and these are the same arguments I've used against re-taking the course (especially at another university). At this point, I've given up on steering her away from re-taking it and just trying to find the cheapest option for her. She's got an undergrad in Biology with a good GPA otherwise. I think this is just a small blemish on her academic record that's perhaps giving her a little tunnel vision.

So did she do a post-bac or was that F in her bio degree? If it was in her bio degree and she has a good GPA otherwise, I'd include an explanation in the essay and try this cycle. If she doesn't get in anywhere, then it might be worth looking for gold stars to add to her application- and really, she could do graduate level courses that "could" count toward a Masters of Public Health or something like that (even a cert) just to show that she's moved upward and onward. If she is burning time between now and an acceptance letter, she could at least accumulate NEW credit. I know that's kinda expensive, but Warguns just posted 10 Cheap Online Graduate Education Programs for Out-of-State Students over on DI forum, just something else to throw in there.
cookderosa Wrote:So did she do a post-bac or was that F in her bio degree? If it was in her bio degree and she has a good GPA otherwise, I'd include an explanation in the essay and try this cycle. If she doesn't get in anywhere, then it might be worth looking for gold stars to add to her application- and really, she could do graduate level courses that "could" count toward a Masters of Public Health or something like that (even a cert) just to show that she's moved upward and onward. If she is burning time between now and an acceptance letter, she could at least accumulate NEW credit. I know that's kinda expensive, but Warguns just posted 10 Cheap Online Graduate Education Programs for Out-of-State Students over on DI forum, just something else to throw in there.

Thanks for this info. I'll pass it along. This was part of her undergrad, so I think that she should be able to sell herself with an otherwise good GPA and her 10+ years of experience in healthcare (CPhT). Getting some graduate-level credit toward an MPH isn't a bad idea at all, as it looks good on the application and offers a backup option of moving into healthcare administration.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 1,722 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 638 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Cheapest way to complete CS prerequisites (RA Credits)? therightstuff 18 2,433 11-01-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,441 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Cheapest? Easiest? RA degree(s) in USA? omicreativedev 18 2,579 01-10-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  BYU Pathway Worldwide - Ensign College (BYU-I Partnership Undergrad Options) bjcheung77 2 1,361 08-29-2022, 01:10 PM
  Fastest/cheapest second bachelor’s degree Lingo55 19 6,101 04-30-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Arden University - Undergrad/Grad Scholarships (selective countries only) bjcheung77 0 889 08-15-2021, 07:30 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Bachelors Degree Alpha 22 5,376 05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Cheapest RA or NA bachelor degree options StoicJ 19 4,033 10-11-2020, 04:17 PM