Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it still possible to test out of a degree?
Hi, I'm a 17 year old student from Chicago who is about to graduate from high school this May. I'm currently enrolled in 4 AP classes and will be taking those 4 tests in early May. Testing to get a degree to me is the most attractive way to go about getting a bachelors. The reason I'm making a thread is because I would like to know if this is still a viable way of getting a degree. I don't have a problem signing up for instantcert and other resources in order to study for exams. I would like to get a BA in Psychology from one of the big three schools. I have taken a look at the degree forum wiki and TESC seems like a good choice. So, is it possible for one to still take tests for a bachelors degree specifically in Psychology or at least in any other area of study? Also, how hard it is to get accepted by TESC or the other two colleges in the big 3? I have a mediocre GPA of something a bit above 2.0 and got a 25 on my ACT.
It is possible to test out of 95% to 100% of a degree at the Big 3 (TESC, COSC, and EC). For psychology, I think TESC would be the best choice since it accepts more exams as upper level. However, COSC does award a lot of credits for the GRE Psychology Subject Test (a lot of savings), but it doesn't come with many upper level credits. TESC will accept just about anyone over the age of 21 and with a high school diploma or GED. Younger individuals would have to petition TESC for acceptance.
Sanantone's General Education Options - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Psychology - Degree Forum Wiki
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:It is possible to test out of 95% to 100% of a degree at the Big 3 (TESC, COSC, and EC). ...

95% yeah
but 100% ?
what about all the capstone requirements ?
don't each of the big 3 require at least one actual class ?
bluebooger Wrote:95% yeah
but 100% ?
what about all the capstone requirements ?
don't each of the big 3 require at least one actual class ?

You can test out of the Strategic Management capstone for the BSBA at TESC.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
CountChocula Wrote:Hi, I'm a 17 year old student from Chicago who is about to graduate from high school this May. I'm currently enrolled in 4 AP classes and will be taking those 4 tests in early May. Testing to get a degree to me is the most attractive way to go about getting a bachelors. The reason I'm making a thread is because I would like to know if this is still a viable way of getting a degree. I don't have a problem signing up for instantcert and other resources in order to study for exams. I would like to get a BA in Psychology from one of the big three schools. I have taken a look at the degree forum wiki and TESC seems like a good choice. So, is it possible for one to still take tests for a bachelors degree specifically in Psychology or at least in any other area of study? Also, how hard it is to get accepted by TESC or the other two colleges in the big 3? I have a mediocre GPA of something a bit above 2.0 and got a 25 on my ACT.

It is absolutely still possible to test out of most (or possibly all) of your degree.

With regards to your GPA and ACT scores (assuming you're talking about your high school GPA), they won't really be a factor at either of the Big 3. All that is required is a high school diploma or GED. COSC prefers that its applicants have at least 9 credits to transfer in, but you should have that with your AP courses.

I'd recommend that you go ahead and start taking some CLEP tests as soon as you're ready. This early in the game, it doesn't really matter which tests you take; they will all fit in somewhere later on.

Good luck!
[COLOR="#0000FF"] B.S. - COSC (December, 2013) :hurray:
20-Community College Courses (2004-2006)
80-Semester Hours at Western Governors University (2010-2012)
15-Charter Oak State College (2013)
12-CLEP
3-DSST
6-FEMA
If I can do it, ANYONE can do it![/COLOR]
CountChocula Wrote:Hi, I'm a 17 year old student from Chicago who is about to graduate from high school this May. I'm currently enrolled in 4 AP classes and will be taking those 4 tests in early May. Testing to get a degree to me is the most attractive way to go about getting a bachelors. The reason I'm making a thread is because I would like to know if this is still a viable way of getting a degree. I don't have a problem signing up for instantcert and other resources in order to study for exams. I would like to get a BA in Psychology from one of the big three schools. I have taken a look at the degree forum wiki and TESC seems like a good choice. So, is it possible for one to still take tests for a bachelors degree specifically in Psychology or at least in any other area of study? Also, how hard it is to get accepted by TESC or the other two colleges in the big 3? I have a mediocre GPA of something a bit above 2.0 and got a 25 on my ACT.

Can you explain what you'd like to use the BA in Psychology for? That would be helpful. Thanks. Smile
sanantone Wrote:You can test out of the Strategic Management capstone for the BSBA at TESC.

OP said psychology. Can OP test out of a Psychology Capstone?
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:OP said psychology. Can OP test out of a Psychology Capstone?

No, but I was answering Bluebooger's question.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 458 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,544 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 429 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,982 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,484 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,472 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,643 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 784 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Elite colleges are lying about how much test scores mean LevelUP 0 229 06-12-2024, 03:35 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 2,012 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema