Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paralegal studies
DrJohn Wrote:I can foresee a time when Paralegal schools will be offering a Masters degree to become certified, much the way PA's are now required to have masters degrees. In Texas we have a couple of schools that offer this as a masters degree. My wife is a paralegal, she received her education from the University of Texas Law School Paralegal program as a post-bac program leading to a masters degree. Texas State University is also offering a masters in paralegal studies. I can also foresee the ABA accrediting schools in the next 20 years or so, but not anytime soon. I guess I can foresee the State Bar also offering licensure much like what has been done for paramedics in some states like Texas.

Interesting. I don't see a Masters being required to work as a paralegal but I agree that certification will become the norm and may at some point in the future be required. NALA was the forerunner of paralegal certification which began in 76 and almost 40 years later only the State Bars of Florida, North Carolina, Ohio and Texas have their own paralegal certification programs. NFPA followed a decade or so later. NALA is against mandatory certification and NFPA is for it. However, The legal profession has traditionally been conservative and slow to adapt to change. Only recently did the acknowledge the need to revisit their views on distance education. I don't see them making any sweeping regulatory changes yet. I think things will remain voluntary for quite awhile yet.

For the record, completing a paralegal program and obtaining certification are not the same thing. The ABA has been giving a lesson to the difference between certificated and certified paralegals. Some paralegals who have been through a paralegal program falsely call themselves certified when really they are certificated. http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/a...eckdam.pdf

Now, my state and the NC Bar now certifies paralegals. You have to complete an approved education program to sit for the NCCP Exam. This can be any ABA approved program OR a list of schools specifically evaluated by the Bar. While it is totally voluntary to take the exam, they know they are creating a trend towards making it difficult for people who do not have state or national certification to find a job. It's unfortunate because I know MANY paralegals who have degrees, years of experience, work for the federal court system as judicial assistants, and can't qualify to sit for the state exam unless they "retake" a paralegal program. Since this program has only been in effect for about 7 years, there are a lot of paralegals with degrees from schools that don't qualify them to sit for this exam.

There's been an ongoing controversy in NC because most of the NCCP's were grandfathered in without the educational requirements they now impose on new NCCP's.

It will be interesting to see where this goes definitely.

This explains the battle between NALA and the NFPA pretty clearly.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
As someone who was a paralegal for about 10 years, and whose qualifcation for the position had been developed based on prior experience, I have to laugh at the idea of getting a masters degree in paralegal studies. Part of the attraction of paralegals is that they can be paid less than attorneys. If paralegals start getting masters degrees, I suspect that their charm would wear thin fast.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I agree. I don't think that will come to fruition at all. But, I do think mandatory licensing vs. voluntary certification will be an ongoing issue. The future of the paralegal profession will definitely include increased regulation.

I think the next step would be requiring a certificate or associates program. Currently, no formal education is required in most states. The requirements might even go as far as a bachelors degree, but I think a masters is a long ways away. But look at physician assistants. There are still certificate programs around, but soon a masters degree will be required. I don't exactly disagree with this because physician assistants are mid-level providers with a lot of autonomy. Their counterparts, nurse practitioners, need a masters degree, but that will be bumped to a doctorate in the future. Pharmacists were bumped up from a bachelors to a doctorate. Occupational therapists were bumped up from a bachelors to a masters. My prediction is that they will be bumped up again to a doctorate just like physical therapists.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
They said the same thing about PA's, now there is talk about making that a Doctoral program. Already nurses are getting Doctor of Nursing degrees. I can see a time where it may happen. Texas already has a couple of Master degree programs in Paralegal education / certification....I may have the terms wrong, I only know only a small bit as my wife is the paralegal.
Air University - Air Command and Staff College - In Progress

Bachelor of Science - Charter Oak State College - 3.9 GPA (based on 133 graded credits)

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College
I am looing at Chattanooga State Community College. They have a two year program and some classes can be taken online but one has to enroll in the college first. I will be going there tomorrow get more info. I will also be visiting the Tennessee Paralegal Association (TPA), its in Chattanooga. Looks like I have a long way to go.....but im up for it. Thanks y'all for your kindness and information.
DrJohn Wrote:They said the same thing about PA's, now there is talk about making that a Doctoral program. Already nurses are getting Doctor of Nursing degrees. I can see a time where it may happen. Texas already has a couple of Master degree programs in Paralegal education / certification....I may have the terms wrong, I only know only a small bit as my wife is the paralegal.

The degree program and the certification are two different things. Think of it like this...you can have a degree in accounting but you aren't a CPA until you take the CPA Exam and pass it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Paralegal

laylana3 Wrote:I am looing at Chattanooga State Community College. They have a two year program and some classes can be taken online but one has to enroll in the college first. I will be going there tomorrow get more info. I will also be visiting the Tennessee Paralegal Association (TPA), its in Chattanooga. Looks like I have a long way to go.....but im up for it. Thanks y'all for your kindness and information.

Good choice. Their program is ABA approved. Smile That will actually save you a lot of heartache later because when you won't ever have to wonder if you qualify for anything. When you complete that program you'll be eligible to take the NALA Exam and the NFPA Exam.

Chattanooga State Community College
Paralegal Studies Program
4501 Amnicola Highway
Chattanooga, TN 37406-1097
Director: Kenneth Goldsmith
Telephone: 423.697.4795
Fax: 423.697.2539
Email Us
Type of Institution: Public, 2 yr
Degrees Offered: Associate in Applied Science
Minimum length of time to complete program: 2 yrs
Internships: Elective
For more information: Official Web Site of Chattanooga State Community College | Chattanooga State
Description: The Paralegal Studies Program of Chattanooga State is housed at the Center for Applied Legal Studies in Chattanooga. Paralegal is one of several legal career choices offered at the site. Students who complete the 61 hour program may continue to work toward a BS degree online through the Tennessee Board of Regents or transfer to the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga to work on the BS degree in Legal Assisting. Our program has approximately 100 students, with about one-third taking night classes.

When you enroll, take this form with you so they can fill it out to expedite your student membership with the TPA. If you decide to go to the convention July 23-July 25 this year, let me know.

http://www.tnparalegal.org/images/storie...tation.pdf

DrJohn Wrote:They said the same thing about PA's, now there is talk about making that a Doctoral program. Already nurses are getting Doctor of Nursing degrees. I can see a time where it may happen. Texas already has a couple of Master degree programs in Paralegal education / certification....I may have the terms wrong, I only know only a small bit as my wife is the paralegal.

As soliloquy said, there is confusion between completing a certificate program and being certified. A certificate program is a set of courses or one large course that can be taken for credit or non-credit. Being certified usually means that you either meet the requirements for certification by a professional organization or a governing board. This usually entails passing an exam, but sometimes all it takes is completing an approved program or work experience and applying for certification from the organization. Being certified is a lot like being a licensee or a registrant. Having a certificate is a step below having a whole degree. The best comparison I can think for your background is having a certificate in law enforcement from a college and being a certified master peace officer.

By the way, I just found out that Texas is now requiring that telecommunications officers be licensed.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paralegal certificate midnite123 3 470 05-10-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 988 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,712 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,345 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 2,960 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 906 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Are Studies Degrees the Worst College Degrees? LevelUP 5 1,282 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Girne - Health Related Studies - Scholarship bjcheung77 4 707 08-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Integrative Professional Studies Alpha 1 641 04-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  San Diego University for Integrative Studies Alpha 1 742 03-27-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: LevelUP