Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paralegal studies
Hey guys,

Im looking to start earning credits towards earning a degree in Paralegal Studies. Need to know websites like SL will be helpful and also the tests I can take and earn credits that will help me. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks guys
I don't know what school you're looking at? At COSC about the only thing you can test out of is American Government, Business Law, and Principles of Management. You can look at the concentration requirements on their website. if you are already certified by NALA or the NFPA, you can ask for a credential evaluation which will help tremendously. my certified paralegal credential earned me 32 credits towards my concentration. otherwise, the requirements vary tremendously from school to school.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
I'm using the Speak Now feature on my phone so things might not be punctuated correctly.

Thanks for your reply. I was looking at Paralegal in General, ways to earn credits. I have not found a school yet. Im not certified, im starting out in this course.
Paralegal Career for Dummies w/CD by Scott Hatch, JD and Lisa Zimmer Hatch, MA will answer a lot of your questions.
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Ancient and Classical History from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
dewisant Wrote:Paralegal Career for Dummies w/CD by Scott Hatch, JD and Lisa Zimmer Hatch, MA will answer a lot of your questions.

LOL, I have that book. It was required for a CLE I took a long time ago. That book is affordable and certainly would be enough for basic information concerning a paralegal career. If you're really serious about a career as a paralegal I'd really recommend Introduction to Paralegalism: Perspectives, Problems and Skills: William P. Statsky: 9781435400061: Amazon.com: Books but the other one is more affordable of course. This book or the NALA Manual would be a great desk top reference while you are pursuing your studies. NALA Manual for Paralegals and Legal Assistants: National Association of Legal Assistants: 9781435400252: Amazon.com: Books

laylana3 Wrote:Thanks for your reply. I was looking at Paralegal in General, ways to earn credits. I have not found a school yet. Im not certified, im starting out in this course.

Well, I've been in this field for about 12 years so if you have any questions or need some direction, I'm happy to help. I know of a lot of resources. I don't know where you live but there are a lot of affiliate associations of NALA (the largest paralegal association) and there might be one near you. A lot of these associations have mentors for those who are entering the field.

soliloquy Wrote:Well, I've been in this field for about 12 years so if you have any questions or need some direction, I'm happy to help. I know of a lot of resources. I don't know where you live but there are a lot of affiliate associations of NALA (the largest paralegal association) and there might be one near you. A lot of these associations have mentors for those who are entering the field.

Thanks so much. I live in Tennessee. I have prior experience in the legal field but from a foreign country which is not accepted here in the USA. I am serious in this and im glad you are helping me out. Really looking forward to start earning credits and graduate. Thanks so much.
laylana3 Wrote:Thanks so much. I live in Tennessee. I have prior experience in the legal field but from a foreign country which is not accepted here in the USA. I am serious in this and im glad you are helping me out. Really looking forward to start earning credits and graduate. Thanks so much.

You have three associations in your state:

GMPA : Greater Memphis Paralegal Alliance

Smoky Mountain Paralegal Association (SMPA) Tennessee's Online Paralegal CLE Opportunity

The Tennessee Paralegal Association offers education and networking opportunities to paralegals across Tennessee

I don't know which one is near you but you may want to contact them and see how much a membership is and ask them if they have a mentor that could assist you with some academic and career choices. Most organizations have a student membership available if you don't meet the general membership requirements.

The National Association of Legal Assistants/Paralegals NALA is having its national convention in Charleston, SC this year. There will be a ton of networking opportunities and might be something you would be interested in going to. I don't believe you have to be a member to attend the convention but I'm not positive.

If you have no legal experience in the US, you may want to weigh whether your area's law firms, corps. etc. require a paralegal who has graduated from an ABA-approved program (American Bar Association). The American Bar Association has a program of approving legal assistant training programs which meet their guidelines. Seeking ABA approval is voluntary on the part of the institution. There are some quality programs that have chosen not to seek approval. Some I can think of in my area are Duke and UNC Chapel Hill. This is what Duke has to say about the ABA approval.

Quote:The Duke Paralegal Certificate Program has chosen not to pursue ABA approval, as is the case with the majority of paralegal programs. Of the approximately 1,000 paralegal programs nationwide, 260 are ABA approved (Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook 2010-2011). The ABA does not formally “accredit” any paralegal program, but for a fee, the organization will approve programs that meet certain standards. Duke University is ranked in the top ten in the nation, and students can be assured that when attending the Paralegal Program at Duke, they will be receiving an education that meets Duke’s high academic standards.

That blurb always tickles me. They are basically saying we don't need the ABA, we're Duke.

Here are all of the ABA approved paralegal programs that are available in your state. Tennessee - Paralegal Approved Program Directory - ABA

The web site of the American Association for Paralegal Education may also offer some helpful information for you including a roster of member institutions, and a Statement of Academic Quality which was adopted by the AAfPE membership in October of 1998 and updated in 2001.

So, the first step is finding a paralegal program that you are happy with. I don't suggest COSC if you don't already have a significant amount of credit to transfer in. I'd find a paralegal program near you and start with that. It is likely the per credit fee will be cheaper. Then I'd take the CLA/CP exam offered by NALA and possibly the PACE Exam offered by the NFPA for your professional certifications since TN doesn't have a state certification for paralegals yet.

Is it possible for you to take courses at a campus or do you require a strictly online program? Do you already have college credit?

I can foresee a time when Paralegal schools will be offering a Masters degree to become certified, much the way PA's are now required to have masters degrees. In Texas we have a couple of schools that offer this as a masters degree. My wife is a paralegal, she received her education from the University of Texas Law School Paralegal program as a post-bac program leading to a masters degree. Texas State University is also offering a masters in paralegal studies. I can also foresee the ABA accrediting schools in the next 20 years or so, but not anytime soon. I guess I can foresee the State Bar also offering licensure much like what has been done for paramedics in some states like Texas.
Air University - Air Command and Staff College - In Progress

Bachelor of Science - Charter Oak State College - 3.9 GPA (based on 133 graded credits)

Paramedic Medicine - Austin Community College

Law Enforcement Technology - Rio Salado College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paralegal certificate midnite123 3 470 05-10-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 988 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,713 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Anyone complete any of these studies? (Mexican/Spanish Propios) bjcheung77 7 1,362 09-20-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  SUU Bachelor of General Studies (Speedway) EDUxplorer 10 2,960 04-18-2023, 12:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Saudi Scholarship: No funding for English studies bjcheung77 2 906 12-13-2022, 08:43 AM
Last Post: Fewind
  Are Studies Degrees the Worst College Degrees? LevelUP 5 1,282 09-23-2022, 11:20 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Girne - Health Related Studies - Scholarship bjcheung77 4 709 08-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Johann
  Integrative Professional Studies Alpha 1 641 04-29-2022, 12:47 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  San Diego University for Integrative Studies Alpha 1 742 03-27-2022, 05:37 PM
Last Post: LevelUP