Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleks intro to Statistics
walternc3 Wrote:My best advice on aleks would be to keep going to at least 72% before requesting an assessment because you'll probably lose at least a couple of points and those assessments can take hours. As mentioned above, printing out everything that you don't understand helps. For word problems there are "usually" between 4 and 8 examples and if you print them all out (with the slightly different wording) you can get through even the most difficult word problems.

I second this. There were a couple of times when I had gotten to 70% on learning and after an assessment was knocked back down to the high 60s. Very frustrating so I started doing as walter mentions here and it usually worked. Stats was particularly maddening to me.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
Thirded. Motion carried. Smile

Seriously, this is very good advice. Also, remember the assessments are not timed, so there is no shame in spending several hours on an assessment reviewing your notes to be sure you got it right. Like others mentioned and as I'm sure you already noticed the questions follow a few set templates, so once you get at least one example of each and learn them you are ahead of the game. Be sure to organize your work as well. It's a slog but by keeping materials organized I surprised myself, I think I ran the whole course in about 25 hours. It felt like about four times as long. If you keep good records of the examples and explanations and your work you should be good to go.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
I realize this is an old thread. My son is currently 30+ hours into the ALEKS Intro to Statistics initial assessment. It is all foreign to him, but with diligence he's on problem 18/25 of the initial assessment, and with no idea of how he's doing. At this point, the problems are beyond his ability to find anything similar elsewhere on the internet to help him learn how to do the problem. Would it be better to hit "skip" on the rest of the assessment problems and put his time towards assembling a "notebook" of examples, or should he continue to dig and beat his head against his desk in finishing this initial assessment? At this point, he just wants to "get through with it" in the least amount of time possible. I've already informed him that if he ever has to take a class that has statistics as a prerequisite, he must go back and take a full-fledged statistics course to learn this stuff well.
And assuming he does proceed to the pie, should he print every single example problem, even examples from the parts of the pie that were considered "mastered"?
Is it ever better to just quit the course (after making a notebook of sample problems) and re-initiate the course to get a brand new assessment, or is it better to trudge through the course and keep taking assessments when the green bar is over 72%?
Looking for the best 'get-er-done' strategy.

Also, the stats calculator in ALEKS is nice. Sometimes he has to log into ALEKS just to access the calculator. Is there a free internet-based calculator that has all those stats functions?
I came to this forum researching for my now 17-yr-old son who was earning credits via testing and online courses. He completed TESU's BUS-421 in March 2018, the capstone for the TESU BSBA GM degree.  Below are the courses he took:
Study.com: Business 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 109, 113, 121, 308, 309; Economics 101, 102; Finance 101, 102; History 103, 104, 106, 108; Math 103; Political Science 102; Religion 101; Geology 101; Nutrition 101; Chemistry 101; English 305
SL: Intro to Communications, Accounting 1&2, Financial Accounting
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus, Statistics
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101, 102, 103
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
312N-H Ethics & the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct
Community College: English 101 & 102, Calculus 1
TESU: MAT-105 Applied Liberal Arts Math TECEP, BUS-421-OL BSBA Capstone Course (January 2018 term)
I made it through stats by creating a notebook of every type of problem. the words stay the same but the numbers change. Also do the work fast so everything is fresh on your mind - try 30 hours on a weekend. Don't force any assessments because if you have not covered enough new work you get old questions that can work you backwards.
Just completed this course. It took about 4 days and my total time spent was 43 hours. I could've had it done a lot sooner but whenever I hit 70 I would force an assessment and always get at least one question wrong which would push me back to 69. I did this twice and then decided to go up to 71 before forcing the assessment which I later passed with a 70. Biggest tip for this course is to use a TI-83 or higher graphing calculator. Once you learn how to do standard deviation on your own you can use the calculator as a shortcute. Again I only recommend this after you've learned how to perform the calculation on your own because what good are the credits if you don't know how to perform the work. I'd say I'm fairly good at math and I found this course challenging. Some of the concepts are difficult to wrap your head around. But it's cheap and self paced.
Hello,

I am taking ALEKS for statistics can you tell me how to force the assessment? How much of the pie can you do before you can get a grade. I'm running out of time before graduation.

suzette
Do you know where I can find this calculator. I am having trouble with Chebychevs theorem. And some of the regression testing. I am very close are you available for any tutoring.?
suzettew Wrote:Do you know where I can find this calculator. I am having trouble with Chebychevs theorem. And some of the regression testing. I am very close are you available for any tutoring.?

Did you try John Wood's videos? I didn't, but I heard they're really helpful. The main thing is to learn how to use the Aleks calculator, and then you're good. Another thing that helped alot for me was printing out each question, and answer (or if you want, use the snipping tool). If you're close to finishing the pie, you only have to print out the last few and you're good.
Goal: BSBA in Accounting through TESU, 150 credits, Credits so far: 137/150
Received: A.S. in Business Administration, Aug. 2016

Tests taken so far:
Cleps: Psychology (73), College Composition Modular (65), Social Science and History (67), Humanities (59), Marketing (72), Analyzing and Interpreting  Literature (77)
TECEP: Strategic Management Capstone (72)
Aleks: Statistics (71!)
Davar: International Management (82), Intro to Computing (80), American Government (79), Managerial Communications (70)
Study.com: Personal Finance (92), Human Growth and Development (84), Social Psychology (88) Human Resources Management (86)
The Institutes: (76)
Online Accounting Classes: Columbia College: Advanced Accounting, Tax II, TESU: Audit

Up ahead:
Study.com:  Costing, ?
Saylor: Intro to political Science?, Management Info. Systems?
TEEX
suzettew Wrote:Do you know where I can find this calculator. I am having trouble with Chebychevs theorem. And some of the regression testing. I am very close are you available for any tutoring.?

ALEKS stats is hard, I would recommend attacking it with whatever resources you may have read (study guides, youtube videos, stats textbooks, etc).
If you pass - great, If you still can't get it, I would recommend the Straighterline Business Stats or Study.com Statistics courses for the credit.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
heinzmoleman Wrote:I could've had it done a lot sooner but whenever I hit 70 I would force an assessment and always get at least one question wrong which would push me back to 69. I did this twice and then decided to go up to 71 before forcing the assessment which I later passed with a 70.

The assessment confirms the work you have done on the pie chart. As you found out, forcing an assessment at 70% means if you get 100% on the assessment, the highest progress on the course will be 70% - more or Less. Each assessment (knowledge check) is based on your progress and does not cover the whole course.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 11 3,855 05-12-2024, 11:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Intro to Criminal Justice & Speech Communication midnite123 11 1,237 01-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: karenkresgs
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 948 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 593 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 1,350 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Intro to Sociology Jennr2z 8 1,333 05-11-2022, 11:14 PM
Last Post: Jennr2z
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 0 629 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,257 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Udacity Intro to Cybersecurity nanodegree Cofffeee 7 1,565 07-30-2020, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  SL Intro to Nutrition High_Order1 6 1,705 03-03-2020, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Lacedonia4