Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST statistics
hi, for the dsst statistics exam, do i need to memorize formulas?

i am studying from the idiots guide to statistics. do i need to read the book cover to cover?

how many questions are there? i can't seem to find the info anywhere...

thanks much =)
Hi, you might want to go to this web site for more info DSST - GetCollegeCredit.com You can also join Instacert for access to their site with excellent feed-back on the exams from others. Also, you might want to check out free-clep-prep.com. Oh, khanacademy.com has wonderful explanations of stat concepts. Finally, the site I gave was offering frr sample exams until Nov 30. Search degreeforum forums to see if anyone has provided their password.
Using statistics know formulas as the search string, the first item returned was this: http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...ation.html

Formulas and parts of formulas are discussed.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Thanks for the advice, I keep hearing about the KHan videos. I really want to try and due stats. It's a subject that I am not interested in at all. I have taken and taught myself alot of subjects, but I am just not interested in stats. But i realize that in moving toward to my Masters in nursing program, that there will be subjects that I do not want to learn, but I have to do. So thats why I want to tackle stats.
You take take a practice test for free right now. Details have been posted previously. Or if you don't search, here they are:

Starting October 1, DSST is offering free online practice tests for a limited time!

Take one or take them all. You can use the promotional code below as many times as you want until November 30th. Taking a practice test is the first step toward passing a DSST exam and earning college credit for subjects you may already know.

Offer valid through November 30, 2011.
CODE: PEDSST2011

DSST exams save you time and money as you complete your college degree, putting you on track for career success. Register now to take your free online practice test today!
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
thanks clep3705. does anyone know:

do i need to memorize formulas for the dsst statistics besides for how to figure out probability?

should i really follow the dsst outline? i.e. the idiots guide has info on poisson theory and the outline does not. do i need to know that? is there a more in depth outline?

thanks everyone u guys are an amazing help!!!! =)
You should follow the official objectives for any test, AP, CLEP, DSST, ECE, SAT, whatever. The objectives for a test are developed first. After that, item writers create test items based on the objectives. If the official DSST exam guide doesn't mention Poisson or anything that could be a proxy for it, then you don't need to know it. Tests match the objectives. Don't start looking for tricks. The Idiot's Guide is intended for people trying to learn statistics in general. It is not a DSST exam prep book. In other words, it covers things that aren't necessarily on the DSST exam.

You could take the test now to find out what you need to learn and retest in 90 days.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
If your trying to teach yourself I would reccomend aleks. That, some khan vids, and a good guide would probably do it. Learning enough just to pass the dsst is another story
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
thanks, but do i need to memorize formulas???
happy23211 Wrote:thanks, but do i need to memorize formulas???
I'm not sure why you're focused on that specific question, but to answer it, my understanding is that they do not test you on your knowledge of specific formulas (as in here are three formulas, which one is correct), but unless you already understand (or can derive) the formulas, you will probably need to memorize some of them to solve those problems successfully. If you have problems with memorizing formulas, you should review the Khan Academy materials, as they show how to derive some of the formulas by working back from the problems themselves.

As the previous posters have mentioned, the only way to know what is on the test is to review the official DSST test guide, which tells you what is on the test and what textbooks were used to prepare the test questions.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DSST Scoring Wait Time TestMan314 0 175 07-18-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: TestMan314
  DSST practice Exams for BUS LAW II? doloresramirez 6 457 05-06-2024, 02:38 AM
Last Post: doloresramirez
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 7,059 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  Statistics RA credit available anywhere? echo64 7 948 12-11-2022, 02:46 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online Learning Statistics Alpha 0 593 07-14-2022, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 7 1,351 05-20-2022, 06:53 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  College Graduation Statistics Alpha 0 629 11-29-2021, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,360 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  Applied Business Statistics - alternative source? Vle045 6 1,257 08-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,399 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl