Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
TECEP College Algebra - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: CLEP, DSST, and TECEP Exam Discussion. Also Modern States and InstantCert. (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-CLEP-DSST-and-TECEP-Exam-Discussion-Also-Modern-States-and-InstantCert)
+--- Thread: TECEP College Algebra (/Thread-TECEP-College-Algebra)

Pages: 1 2

TECEP College Algebra - petethejuggler - 04-23-2022

I've taken so many DSSTs and CLEPs that I've lost count. Yet, this one is proving to be my demise. What is a good resource for it? I've been doing Khan Academy and I've basically hit a brick wall where nothing's making any sense anymore. Some have said the Khan Academy is overkill for the College Algebra CLEP so I'm wondering if that's the case with the TECEP as well. The TECEP study guide lists Khan Academy as a resource though. 

Secondly, I started using Saylor and it seems considerably easier. It involves a lot of basic Algebra I concepts and I'm not sure how useful it is for the TECEP. TESU lists Saylor's MA001 Course as eligible for MAT121 with them. I'd take this instead of the TECEP but I hit the limit for transfer credits to TESU a long time ago. Is it worth it to just take the MA001 course on Saylor and then retake some other TECEP I've already taken as a CLEP? Just curious if that would even work. 

Side note: Are the answers wrong on the TECEP study guide? For example I got 1) C; 2) D; 3)C; 4) B; 5) A. Yet they have as their answers as 1) C; 2) B; 3) B; 4) B; 5) D. That's not even close. I can see they printed question number 3 wrong so did the answer key get messed up or something? I'm surprised TESU hasn't corrected this yet if that's the case. 

I'm scheduled to test tomorrow and fully expect to fail sadly. Pretty mad at myself for putting myself in this situation where I probably would be better off taking the course but really don't want to pay the cost plus suffer from the bad grade so I'd rather test but also know it's unlikely I'll pass the test.

RE: TECEP College Algebra - allvia - 04-23-2022

(04-23-2022, 01:42 PM)petethejuggler Wrote: I'd take this instead of the TECEP but I hit the limit for transfer credits to TESU a long time ago. Is it worth it to just take the MA001 course on Saylor and then retake some other TECEP I've already taken as a CLEP? Just curious if that would even work.

Do you mean you've gone past the 90 alternative credits in your degree plan and need RA credits (hence the TECEP)? If that is the case did you mean to say retake a CLEP subject you've passed as a TECEP (since taking a CLEP to replace a TECEP doesn't help if you're short RA credits).

RE: TECEP College Algebra - carrythenothing - 04-23-2022

You got number 1 correct.
Number 2 seems wrong to me as well.
Number 3 should be the second choice (which could explain the "B" in the answer key).
You got number 4 correct.
You almost got number 5 -- you can still simplify answer choice A (divide by 2 to get D).

I think you'll do fine. Although the study guide says "all content" from Khan Academy's algebra section, you don't need to know some of the later material (according to the test topics' distribution).

RE: TECEP College Algebra - bjcheung77 - 04-23-2022

I wouldn't second guess yourself. Just go in happy and know you can get the exam done. TECEPs are a tad harder than the CLEP or DSST, but once you're familiar with CLEP/DSST, you should treat it the same way. In short - You've got this! I would review some quick College Algebra examples again if you wanted to, but don't stress over it.

RE: TECEP College Algebra - petethejuggler - 04-23-2022

(04-23-2022, 01:59 PM)allvia Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 01:42 PM)petethejuggler Wrote: I'd take this instead of the TECEP but I hit the limit for transfer credits to TESU a long time ago. Is it worth it to just take the MA001 course on Saylor and then retake some other TECEP I've already taken as a CLEP? Just curious if that would even work.

Do you mean you've gone past the 90 alternative credits in your degree plan and need RA credits (hence the TECEP)? If that is the case did you mean to say retake a CLEP subject you've passed as a TECEP (since taking a CLEP to replace a TECEP doesn't help if you're short RA credits).

Yes. Maybe I wrote it funny but I hit the limit for CLEP/DSSTs so my only option now is to take the course with TESU or do a TECEP. 

I'm new here so can you explain what RA credits stands for?

(04-23-2022, 03:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I wouldn't second guess yourself.  Just go in happy and know you can get the exam done.  TECEPs are a tad harder than the CLEP or DSST, but once you're familiar with CLEP/DSST, you should treat it the same way.  In short - You've got this!  I would review some quick College Algebra examples again if you wanted to, but don't stress over it.

Thanks! If I fail the way I look at it is I'll know what I need to study to retake it. I sometimes need to remind myself I've saved thousands in tuition costs so maybe having to pay an extra $150 isn't too harsh.

(04-23-2022, 02:55 PM)carrythenothing Wrote: You got number 1 correct.
Number 2 seems wrong to me as well.
Number 3 should be the second choice (which could explain the "B" in the answer key).
You got number 4 correct.
You almost got number 5 -- you can still simplify answer choice A (divide by 2 to get D).

I think you'll do fine. Although the study guide says "all content" from Khan Academy's algebra section, you don't need to know some of the later material (according to the test topics' distribution).

Phew. Okay. I've been panicking wondering what's not clicking for me going over the practice questions and seeing the first few were way off. Fingers crossed they've proofread the master test questions better.

RE: TECEP College Algebra - carrythenothing - 04-23-2022

(04-23-2022, 05:06 PM)petethejuggler Wrote:
(04-23-2022, 01:59 PM)allvia Wrote:

Yes. Maybe I wrote it funny but I hit the limit for CLEP/DSSTs so my only option now is to take the course with TESU or do a TECEP. 

I'm new here so can you explain what RA credits stands for?

RA = regional accreditation or regionally accredited (as opposed to NA for national accreditation or nationally accredited)

You can still transfer credits from another RA school. Some specific suggestions are listed on the wiki: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit

RE: TECEP College Algebra - bjcheung77 - 04-23-2022

Basically, I would also recommend you to create another thread in the Degree Planning Advice subforum and follow this template, the more details the better so we get an understanding of why you're taking TECEPS and which degree you're going for, by the way, are you active military? https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-New-to-DegreeForum-How-this-Area-works

RE: TECEP College Algebra - rachel83az - 04-24-2022

Have you already paid for/scheduled the TECEP? If not, I recommend signing up for the self-paced version of ASU's algebra: https://ea.asu.edu/courses/college-algebra-and-problem-solving-mat-117/ It is FREE to audit if you do not pay the upgrade fee. It uses ALEKS as a study tool. You don't have to keep going over things that you already know, it will teach you things you do NOT know. Once you get about 75% of the pie completed, you should be able to pass the TECEP. Depending on how much free time you have to work on it, completing the pie may take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months.

RE: TECEP College Algebra - bluebooger - 04-24-2022

m tons of sand on the beach
+ 1400 tons of sand is added to the mound.
- Two dump trucks come in and take 600 tons of sand each (so 2 * 600)
= At the end of the day, the mound has 3,200 tons of sand.

m + 1400 - (2 * 600) = 3200
m + 1400 - 1200 = 3200
m + 200 = 3200
m = 3000

RE: TECEP College Algebra - bjcheung77 - 04-24-2022

Hope you do well on your exam, once done and you have time, you may want to create another thread or just copy/paste the template here so we can see what you're missing...