Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion
Another Textbook Option - Printable Version

+- Online Degrees and CLEP and DSST Exam Prep Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb)
+-- Forum: Main Category (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-Main-Category)
+--- Forum: General Education-Related Discussion (https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Forum-General-Education-Related-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Another Textbook Option (/Thread-Another-Textbook-Option)

Another Textbook Option - AngelaP - 03-12-2016

When looking for a textbook, don't rule out the International Edition, if there is one. These can be the exact same book, but cheaper. The usual differences are that they are paperback, printed in black and white, maybe cheaper paper, different cover, etc, but usually the exact same book for a much cheaper price.

Another Textbook Option - SweetSecret - 03-13-2016

I purchased an international version for the Public Relations TECEP. I specifically ordered from a US company, thinking it would take less time to arrive. They drop shipped it from outside the US though & it took way longer to arrive than I expected. Some of the pages were a bit faint too at random. Its was plenty read-able though & still a good option. Just make sure you order far in advance.

Another Textbook Option - jawbreakingrr - 03-13-2016

I purchased a international edition for one of my master's courses. I compared it to another classmate's book and the content and chapters were the same.
The cover was different and the paper was thinner and so was the price. No complaints.

Another Textbook Option - soliloquy - 03-13-2016

AngelaP Wrote:When looking for a textbook, don't rule out the International Edition, if there is one. These can be the exact same book, but cheaper. The usual differences are that they are paperback, printed in black and white, maybe cheaper paper, different cover, etc, but usually the exact same book for a much cheaper price.

My experience is that they are frequently the same book but also they may have additional information that the US book does not have.

Another Textbook Option - dfrecore - 03-13-2016

I bought one for a local CC course, where the new book was $375, I kid you not (the class itself was $155). The international version was $20!! Paperback, thinner paper, harder to see the bolded words, but a great deal

The major issue was that while the chapters and content were the same, the chapter names and order was completely different! So I had to borrow the Teacher's edition and put sticky notes on each chapter to label what the "actual" chapter was that the teacher was working on each week (i.e. he would assign chapter 2, I would have to read chapter 11 in my book). But if you're just studying for a final exam, the international version is a great option.

Another Textbook Option - jsd - 03-13-2016

i did this once for a psych class, at the end of the chapters the case studies were different than the US version for some reason, but those weren't really used in the class and it made no difference. I agree, great option.