Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
umass global
hey guys I just wanted to know umgc  umass global isn't recommended even though they are fairly cheap if you use the flat rate tuition fee
How cheap is cheap? How many ACE/NCCRS credits do they accept? What degrees are available? There are multiple "cheap" schools that aren't often recommended because they tend to have major drawbacks or just not be as affordable as the other schools we recommend.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-16-2023, 09:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: How cheap is cheap? How many ACE/NCCRS credits do they accept? What degrees are available? There are multiple "cheap" schools that aren't often recommended because they tend to have major drawbacks or just not be as affordable as the other schools we recommend.

my bad I meant umass global it costs 3200 per 24 week
They're on the list: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs

They accept fewer ACE credits than UMPI. Which also potentially makes them more expensive. Global campus degrees are also generally less attractive than ones that don't telegraph being earned online. UMass will work for some students, but they're still limited.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-16-2023, 09:26 AM)b20 Wrote: my bad I meant umass global it costs 3200 per 24 week

I looked at UMass Global MyPath at the beginning of last year because the low tuition is so compelling. There were a few major drawbacks that caused me to look elsewhere:
  • Difficult to see what credits transfer, and I was disappointed with how few actually did
  • From what I could determine, far more work than equivalent courses at WGU
  • Almost no information online about course experiences or tips, so no way to avoid pitfalls or find effective study materials/strategies, etc.
  • Limited choices for IT degrees
  • Questions about how "UMass Global" is perceived, as it is still effectively Brandman University located in California
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 3 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • LevelUP, rachel83az, ss20ts
b20 Wrote:hey guys I just wanted to know umgc  umass global isn't recommended even though they are fairly cheap if you use the flat rate tuition fee

b20 Wrote:my bad I meant umass global it costs 3200 per 24 week

Your sentence is confusing, not really sure what you're trying to do. UMASS Global isn't bad at all, in addition to the mentioned details above, again - they're on the list of Competency Based Education programs, it's all personal preference on getting a degree from them or not as requirements differ. For people who can't get into WGU, they are a good alternative (along with the other CBE options such as PUG). Most people would like UMPI over UMASS as it's a public/state university, not a global online campus. In addition to that, UMASS requires ACE to have 81.5% (similar to COSC requiring 80% on ACE courses to get the credit). My suggestion is to fill us in with the template/addendum with what you're looking for here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-16-2023, 08:58 AM)b20 Wrote: hey guys I just wanted to know umgc  umass global isn't recommended even though they are fairly cheap if you use the flat rate tuition fee

To recommend a college, we need the following:
  • A policy that allows for the transfer of approximately 75% of credits.
  • Acceptance of popular alternative credit sources such as Sophia and Study.com for transfer.
  • An equivalency list that provides a clear mapping of credits to determine their transferability.
  • Reasonable cost, preferably around $10,000 per year or less.
  • Feedback from students regarding their experience at the college.

If ten people on the forum were to attend Diploma Mill University and all obtain Underwater Basket Weaving degrees, there might soon be a demand for an Underwater Basket Weaving degree plan due to the increasing supply of graduates.

SNHU, UMASS, UMGC, Grand Canyon University, and Colorado State University Global are all popular colleges, although very few, if any, have reported actually attending these institutions on DF, even though they come up in conversation frequently.

You can find them listed among the most popular online schools on the website
https://www.onlineu.com/online-schools/most-popular

On the contrary, TAMUC has a very small Competency-Based Education (CBE) enrollment and offers only a few degrees. However, we currently have at least four students attending that college and have developed a degree plan specifically for TAMUC.
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 4 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • jch, Kab, nancynancy01, rachel83az
(07-16-2023, 08:58 AM)b20 Wrote: hey guys I just wanted to know umgc  umass global isn't recommended even though they are fairly cheap if you use the flat rate tuition fee

Mostly because the price, in comparison to other schools, isn't great.

The cost is good ($3200/24 weeks = $133/wk).  However, WGU is a similar price, and offers similar options in both IT and business, and we KNOW what things come in as at WGU (they have a partnership with both Sophia and SDC so we know exactly how courses come in, making it very easy to plan a degree). We also have MANY students that have gone through WGU, so we have lots of answers to questions that most people have.

Compared to UMPI, which is more per week ($175), it's still good. Except that we have had MANY students here finish a Business other degree there in 2 terms, making the overall price less ($2800, soon to be $3000).  Again, having people go through and complete degrees somewhere is the best way to see if it's a good program.  We also know exactly how everything will come into UMPI from Sophia and SDC, so we can easily plan any degree there.

For someone who is a current TX resident, TAMUC is a great inexpensive option as well at just $107/wk, and I think people are finishing there in 2-3 terms (so $1,500-$2,250).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle
(07-16-2023, 08:58 AM)b20 Wrote:
hey guys I just wanted to know umgc  umass global isn't recommended even though they are fairly cheap if you use the flat rate tuition fee
If you plan to transfer credits from your current or future institution, confirm that the credits earned at UMGC or UMass Global will be accepted by other institutions.
I have been checking their Accelerated CBE MBA Program for a while, but it´s still "pending approval".

https://catalog.umassglobal.edu/business...erviewtext
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPanda's post:
  • NotJoeBiden

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone ever done their MBA with UMASS Global? bethluke 3 543 05-21-2024, 01:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) No Application Fee LevelUP 2 518 04-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 9,451 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 510 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 1,193 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What are UMass Global MyPath classes like? pluggingalong 14 5,050 12-01-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 522 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects pluggingalong 13 1,746 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Purdue University Global - BA IT Bunch of Changes LevelUP 15 1,981 07-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 1,228 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM