Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new to CLEP
Hey guys. New to the forum. I am currently a CO but am applying to be a texas state trooper next year. They require an associates or 60 credit hours. I have 63 credit hours but no degree. I can get the job, but if I just complete the degree, it adds 100$ a month to my salary there. I am missing a social science credit. I work 85 hours or so per week, and live an hour from my work, so online college just won't work.

I came across CLEP while trying to find a sociology class with no time limit because of my time constraints. At my job I sometimes have an hour straight to read.....so I would have time to study.

What route should I go to prepare for the test? As far as general test taking, I have always been naturally good at it (never studied thru high school yet did well, I would cram for 15 minutes before the test and do well, yes I know I was lazy haha).

I really want to do this just for myself also, I have been 1 class away for nearly 6 years, yet I never completed it. I plan to take online college once I get the new job with more time, but for now a CLEP into to sociology or psychology is my goal.

Thanks for your help,

Ian Campbell
Oh, and the school was a small community college in alabama, Calhoun CC.
Are you planning to get your old school to confer the degree? If so you will need to confirm that they will take CLEP, although most do.

Both the Sociology and the Psychology CLEP's are considered by most to be on the easier side of the scale. If you are good at test I would suggest join IC use the flashcards and Specific exam feedback and take a practice test. After that you should be able to pass either of those in 2-6 weeks depending on your level of confidence.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Thank you. The college accepts what looks like ALL the clep's so that's good. I will sign up for IC then.

Side question since you're knowledgeable, how do you test out of things at CO or TE? If that's possible, I would have time to do that and get closer to a BA in criminal justice (and add another 100$ a month to my salary with a BA). I figure I will see what will ttransfer as far as my basics, then test out and do more CLEP to get more credits before having to take the rest online.
Are there any BA or BS degrees which you can test out of fully or come close? Anything either criminal justice or computer or network related will be good as they will help me advance in my state trooper career or for a different job.
Also, is there a time limit for credit to expire?
You can test out of a BSBA in Computer Information Systems through Thomas Edison State College.
Pursuing TESC BSBA CIS: ~100/120

CCAF Air & Space Operations Technology: April 2014

CLEP: Humanities, A&I Lit, SocSci & History, Intro Sociology, English Comp, Freshman College Comp, Principles of Management, History of the US I/II, Intro to Computing

DSST: InfoSys & Comp Apps, Intro to the Modern Middle East, Management Information Systems, Fundamentals of Cybersecurity, Human Resource Management, Principles of Supervision, Western Europe since 1945

AMU: Public Speaking, History of Explosive Ordnance Disposal, College Algebra

ALS (CCAF): Leadership/Management I, Managerial Communication I, Military Studies I

Sophia: Microeconomics

Straighterline: Accounting I/II

TECEP: English Comp I/II, Computer Concepts & Applications, Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics, Strategic Management (March 2017 Semester)

TESU OL: Python Programming (March 2017 Semester), Systems Analysis & Design I (March 2017 Semester)
Thanks.

Can you test out of the criminal justice or homeland security from TE. Or general studies/criminal justice at charter oak? Which one would be preferred?
Read more about preparing for the sociology exam here: Introductory Sociology CLEP Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com

The REA CLEP Introduction to Sociology prep guide is very good and it is a guick read: Amazon.com: CLEP Introductory Sociology with Online Practice Exams (CLEP Test Preparation) eBook: William Egelman: Kindle Store I used it to pass with just under a week of studying.

This Free CLEP and DSST Practice Tests - http://www.Free-Clep-Prep.com is worth considering. It might be all you need. It's shorter and includes mp3 files you could listen to while you are on your one hour commute. Some people with long commutes benefit from listening to study materials.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Thanks guys. After research and talking to some people, not going to do any LE related degrees as they will be the most useless if I were to get hurt and exit law enforcement all together. So looking at a BSBA in CIS. Anything above college algebra for me will be futile....and this would at least be slightly useful to me if I got out of LE for whatever reason. Is this one that can be fully tested out of?

I am good with computers and have been building my own for years, but I just plain can't do calculus or physics. They have never clicked with me. I hate it because I am good at troubleshooting computers and electronic equipment but can't do those type of degrees because of the high level math.

I figure this would be more useful to me than psychology. Either one fufills the upgraded pay scale of TX DPS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,897 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 694 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 2,227 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 1,072 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Prep for College Composition with Essay CLEP ? abs_co 3 1,841 11-11-2021, 07:39 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Big Grin CLEP US HISTORY II Advice basol007 2 1,480 03-14-2021, 02:14 PM
Last Post: basol007
  need to find credits by testing like Clep - but Clep is not available where I live - esh 3 1,400 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study material Clep English composition modular Collegelady2 16 4,671 08-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Last Post: mrskitty
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,899 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  English Comp 2 exam option? CLEP's closed yokopilar 4 2,383 05-06-2020, 09:17 AM
Last Post: yokopilar